What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plant color vs nutrient strenght

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I'm a fan of light green colored plants and am by happenstance not in a grow scenario right now, maybe another couple weeks. In this down time I've had allot of time to look at newly germed seeds over the last few weeks and some mothers. Couple are light green, the rest normal darker green and really dark green. I feed them all the same nutes @ 450ppms.

My question is: could it be that the lighter colored plants are craving more N and the dark ones getting somewhat excess N? I understand that some strains are genetically prone to light or dark pigmentation.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Yes.

Nitrogen is the main changer for the green in plants. Yes, each strain/pheno has its own needs. Yes each strain/pheno has its own genetic shade.

Afaik, Magnesium needs are the most variable and nitrogen is second. :)

Last edited:

starke

Genetics play a role for sure. Grew a Hawaiian Snow, Super Lemon Haze and a Skywalker Kush in the same tent, all in soil and all fed Maxibloom KISS. The Snow and the Skywalker were fine, in fact maybe slightly over fed. The Super Lemon Haze would not stay green. Finally broke down and picked up some cheap CalNit from the local farm center and used 1/4 tsp per gallon on the Haze. She greened right up.

Drewsif

I know this isn't too relevant, but i got to say it. Out where Im at, you can sort buds by color, and the smell will be sorted with 100% accuracy also. Meaning you could close your eyes and sort dispensary buds by smell, and the colors would be seperated into piles. In 2015 this smell I can only describe as popcorn cheese powder topping showed up in half the dispensaries. The buds are yellow, almost organge, distinct hair color and look. Not UK Cheese or anything, it's supposed to be fruity strains etc. Other nutes, especially sweeteners, change the colors too. I hate that white look Budcandy gives. Learnt to spot it pretty quick. Prepackaged meds.. Kiss my ass Az MMJ..

I wish I knew what that fake cheese smell was though, Im guessing some dairy based mold product, I dunno. But yeah it's not just the level of nutes but the brand of nutes and anything else you feed that can change the buds natural color.

A

acdc

Genetics play a role for sure. Grew a Hawaiian Snow, Super Lemon Haze and a Skywalker Kush in the same tent, all in soil and all fed Maxibloom KISS. The Snow and the Skywalker were fine, in fact maybe slightly over fed. The Super Lemon Haze would not stay green. Finally broke down and picked up some cheap CalNit from the local farm center and used 1/4 tsp per gallon on the Haze. She greened right up.

well said starke Genetics play a role for sure 100/percent

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
again, I do recognize that genetics play a major roll in my question and that 'additives' will make plants greener. So I can conclude that genetically prone light green plants can be led to darker green with the addition of those additives (cal mag or whatever..) with no bad affects?

starke

Probably should have clarified my comment above Snook. I don't keep my plants dark green either. The Lemon Haze was just too much on the yellow side. If I remember right I only had to feed her twice with the little bit of calnit to get her to my preferred shade of green. She looked healthier and finished flower great, yielding seven zips. Based on my limited experience, I'd say the answer to your question above is yes. Assuming the additives are not overdone.