What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Someone who grew mextiza and Vietnam black x Thai?

48N

Hello everyone

This season I'm mainly growing my crosses from last season
Her majesty x her majesty
Her majesty x mextiza
Her majesty x Vietnam black Thai
All in all 13 different females are growing right now, and 7 males remaining, 10 plants were killed because they hermied or were too weak
And I want to select for Mexican phenotypes

Last year only one male mextiza Germed out of an old pack from a reseller website, so I didn't get to experience it last season
Mextiza seems like a holy grail strain for my climate so I'm really keen on trying it this season

Now I'd like to know the difference between Vietnam black Thai and mextiza/Oaxaca 79 in terms of leaf shape and aromas
In some of the plants I can recognise the mr klean Meao Thai male which can be found here on icmag, very big and sharp edges on the leaves
I remember the Vietnam black Thai smells very well but what to look for in Oaxaca plants? Incense, lemon, sweetness, Mexican spiciness (not Asian spiciness), minty?
A lot of sativas are described as spicy but there's so many different spices
For example some of the Vietnam black Thais smelled and tasted like prawn crackers :) typical Asian taste, almost like they've been fed with heavy fish fertiliser in past generations haha
I also grew her majesty and they had a different spiciness, a Mexican spiciness
Do you imagine a similar spiciness in most Mexican landraces?

If you've grown First Lady (original delicatessen) you can also help me with the flavour from them

Thank you for your help, I wish you a sunny day:peacock:

The Hatter

Veteran
I've grown Mextiza and I have grown some VB hybrids like Orient Express and then my own VB leaning OE x Destroyer.

Mextiza threw two quite different phenos for me, but the mexican leaning one had very thin fingered leaves with strikingly jagged almost tattered looking edges, even more so than what I have seen on Thai strains. It also sported very flexible lanky branching and could grow into a real rats nest if you weren't careful with how you topped and trained it. It had those sort of bendy thin branches you could almost tie a knot without snapping them. It was a very fast growing plant with a short duration but extremely aggressive stretch once you flipped the lights to 12/12.

It's been a while since I flowered her and I lost the mother over the winter, but I will try to describe what I can remember of the Oaxican leaning pheno's aromas. I remember my keeper was one of my all time favorite smelling strains and I kept her despite her tendency to throw a few nanners in late flower because of how lovely the smoke and effect were. It had a strong, hard to describe spicy lime smell sort of like freshly opened sprite with a spicy cedar and ginger sort of undertone to it. The buds grew in in long spears and weren't very dense but well frosted. The effect was great for a 9 week flowering plant, again one of my faves. It had a strong euphoric rush with a slight trippy edge to it. It was fun, creative smoke that was good for socializing and laughing your ass off bit it could get intense and a bit disorientating if you smoked too much of it. It was great for depression.

The other pheno of Mextiza was very much Nep Jam leaning in structure and effect. It produced big fat buds with more rounded and denser structure. The leaves were quite broad. The plant was not nearly as branchy and bendy. I didn't keep this pheno so my memory of the aromas is really questionable at this point, but I do remember it was not nearly as nice or strong smelling and had a sort of slightly sweet, hashy, floral kind of smell to it. This pheno yielded better than the Oaxican one. The smoke was pleasant, dreamy and uplifting but lacked the fun, slightly trippy rush that came with the Mexican leaning one.

If you are looking for the Oaxican experience then I hope your male was leaning in that direction. If it looked like a thin leafed lanky sativa with jagged edged leaves then you are likely in luck in that regard. Judging from what I have seen on these forums there are also a range of intermediate phenos to be found as well. Best of luck with your pheno hunt.

Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi 48N,

I'm glad to hear you want to breed with the strains you are currently working with.

Honestly, i cannot and i don't like to comment about breeding with strains produced by other seed companies. I only like to give breeding tips about ACE strains or about overall basic breeding.

Original Vietnam Black Thai limited edition release had the earthy organic aromas from the Vietnam Black mother plus woody and slightly citric tones from the thai.

Oaxaca 79 has a completely different terpene profile, a few have the lime/lemony aromas that some growers comment that are finding in Mextiza, but in my opinion the best terpene profile that can be found in Oaxaca 79 is the incensey, perfumey, musky, floral, fermented lemony ... it's so good, refined and complex that a few words are not enough to describe it, i still keep 4 excellent Oaxaca79 female parental plants in our mother room that have this kind of terpene profile i prefer, and that i think could produce excellent results if it is crossed with other interesting incensey central american strains like Haze, Panama or Tikal for example.

If your main breeding goal is to find mexican phenotypes. Why not to start working with pure high quality mexican sativa landraces first ? Learn from them, what mexican traits do you really like and start from there ? Instead of looking for mexican traits that will be dilluted in the hybrids and that will make the breeding much more difficult, expecially if you are not familiarized with the parental plants and inbred lines used to create the hybrids you want to breed with ?

48N

I've grown Mextiza and I have grown some VB hybrids like Orient Express and then my own VB leaning OE x Destroyer.

Mextiza threw two quite different phenos for me, but the mexican leaning one had very thin fingered leaves with strikingly jagged almost tattered looking edges, even more so than what I have seen on Thai strains. It also sported very flexible lanky branching and could grow into a real rats nest if you weren't careful with how you topped and trained it. It had those sort of bendy thin branches you could almost tie a knot without snapping them. It was a very fast growing plant with a short duration but extremely aggressive stretch once you flipped the lights to 12/12.

It's been a while since I flowered her and I lost the mother over the winter, but I will try to describe what I can remember of the Oaxican leaning pheno's aromas. I remember my keeper was one of my all time favorite smelling strains and I kept her despite her tendency to throw a few nanners in late flower because of how lovely the smoke and effect were. It had a strong, hard to describe spicy lime smell sort of like freshly opened sprite with a spicy cedar and ginger sort of undertone to it. The buds grew in in long spears and weren't very dense but well frosted. The effect was great for a 9 week flowering plant, again one of my faves. It had a strong euphoric rush with a slight trippy edge to it. It was fun, creative smoke that was good for socializing and laughing your ass off bit it could get intense and a bit disorientating if you smoked too much of it. It was great for depression.

The other pheno of Mextiza was very much Nep Jam leaning in structure and effect. It produced big fat buds with more rounded and denser structure. The leaves were quite broad. The plant was not nearly as branchy and bendy. I didn't keep this pheno so my memory of the aromas is really questionable at this point, but I do remember it was not nearly as nice or strong smelling and had a sort of slightly sweet, hashy, floral kind of smell to it. This pheno yielded better than the Oaxican one. The smoke was pleasant, dreamy and uplifting but lacked the fun, slightly trippy rush that came with the Mexican leaning one.

If you are looking for the Oaxican experience then I hope your male was leaning in that direction. If it looked like a thin leafed lanky sativa with jagged edged leaves then you are likely in luck in that regard. Judging from what I have seen on these forums there are also a range of intermediate phenos to be found as well. Best of luck with your pheno hunt.

Thanks for your detailed report

48N

Hi 48N,

I'm glad to hear you want to breed with the strains you are currently working with.

Honestly, i cannot and i don't like to comment about breeding with strains produced by other seed companies. I only like to give breeding tips about ACE strains or about overall basic breeding.

Original Vietnam Black Thai limited edition release had the earthy organic aromas from the Vietnam Black mother plus woody and slightly citric tones from the thai.

Oaxaca 79 has a completely different terpene profile, a few have the lime/lemony aromas that some growers comment that are finding in Mextiza, but in my opinion the best terpene profile that can be found in Oaxaca 79 is the incensey, perfumey, musky, floral, fermented lemony ... it's so good, refined and complex that a few words are not enough to describe it, i still keep 4 excellent Oaxaca79 female parental plants in our mother room that have this kind of terpene profile i prefer, and that i think could produce excellent results if it is crossed with other interesting incensey central american strains like Haze, Panama or Tikal for example.

If your main breeding goal is to find mexican phenotypes. Why not to start working with pure high quality mexican sativa landraces first ? Learn from them, what mexican traits do you really like and start from there ? Instead of looking for mexican traits that will be dilluted in the hybrids and that will make the breeding much more difficult, expecially if you are not familiarized with the parental plants and inbred lines used to create the hybrids you want to breed with ?

Thanks for your description as well

Well... I'm also growing other Mexicans this season, Acapulco gold, zipolite oaxacan and First Lady (purchased on your site but from different companies) because I thought the effects from her majesty were very functional

I liked the Vietnam black x Thai a lot
In the beginning I didn't like it as much but after 5-6 months cure it was really special
I haven't experienced such an effect before
It was absolutely clear, but it wasn't as good for mental work because I was drifting away often, like a balloon haha and it didn't offer as much motivation as I'd like, but great recreational weed,
It was a pack of a reseller website which was 3 years old but all 12 seeds Germed!!
As I opened the pack and held the seeds in my hand you could feel a certain energy, a certain aura, life
Anyone had similar experiences?

Anyway her majesty was better suited for mental work and I've read queen mother isn't as clear as I've experienced her majesty so I imagined it came from the Mexican part, First Lady

So that's why I'm growing First Lady this season and another old Mexican strain, Acapulco gold, and a modern one, zipolite oaxacan, to get an idea about Mexican cannabis

I will see how I like the Her majesty x vbt crosses
I imagine the effects fit very well, they're a lot more similar than different
Maybe I like the crosses more than the pure phenotypes and that's the direction I'm going with (Mexican x Thai)

I noticed a wavy feeling with her majesty and also in the Acapulco fan leaves I've tested, also very clear, more centered than vbt

The clarity, waviness, musky, spicy, astringent is something which is "Mexican" to me

it's only my 4th season of growing (3rd maybe you shouldn't count the first one
wink.gif

So I was looking for people who have more experience in growing
AND BREEDING to help me decide whether to use only the Mexican looking males for pollination or also the other males?

I would continue with the seeds from the females with a similar effect I liked most

I hope my post was understandable…

Any recommendations and comments are welcome
Give me input!
smile.gif

tiphat.gif

Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi 48N,

Now i understand better your point of view and how do you want to focus your breeding with the different mexican hybrids and mexican landraces you already have.

Honestly, i haven't grown or smoked Her Majesty from Original Delicatessen yet, as i'm fully concentrated in the breeding of ACE Seeds' strains, but i'm glad you have found the desirable, clear, well focused mental effects in Her Majesty, and that you also have a good variety of high quality mexican landraces like First Lady and Bodhi's Zipolite and Acapulco Gold to work from the landrace strains level too.
In that sense, i would also highly recommend you Guatemala and Tikal as i think they can be very suitable for your breeding goals.

Glad you also liked the Vietnam Black x Thai after a proper curing, Vietnam Black hybrids and especially Orient Express have those desirable clear, well focused, positive sativa effects that most sativa lovers find in the best mexican lines too, although the terpene profile of the VBxThai is quite different to the mexican strains, but i think it would be a nice idea to combine your favourite pure mexican parental plants (or hybrids leaning to desirable mexican traits) with the VB x Thai, as Vietnam Black usually increases a lot the vigor and yield in its hybrids, and its effect and overall vibe are on consonance with what you want to achieve.

Good luck! :)

burningfire

Veteran
finding a landrace mexican sativa is easier said than done, it seems people are sitting on the most interesting individuals and not releasing them to the public. so hybrids are the best bet for most people.

Last edited:
G

Hi 48N,interesting project you got there! Dubi has said it all but I'll chime in .

Haven't grown the mextiza or VB/T,bit I have grown 5 OEs (and a couple crosses),2 purple mexicans,1 queen mother,2 her majesties and 1 first lady ,so I will try to share some thoughts.

One of the HMs is more relaxing and the other more alert,both are quite clear and of good ,mid+ potency.The queen mother was more potent and dreamy/trippy.The first Lady has an almost caffeine effect,very clear and motivating,not racy though and is a little less potent,nice daytime smoke.I got her sealed up for further curing.I'd say that the HMs are closer to the First Lady as you supposed.

I got two purple mexicans (oaxaca x pck) that were purple but the one was dwarfy and the other lanky,both had lemon smells and the lankier one even more,but the smoke was incensey .I think the pck dilutes the high a lot in this one.

The OE is one of my personal favourites because of the effect ,last time I got the VB pheno which was quite different from the china leaner,the effect on this one reminds me a lot of yours with the VB/thai.

Tikal is indeed very clear and focused ,more than HM for mental work or social interacting.

I am sorry I can't help with the breeding project.What I have observed from a few little experiments,there are some females that dominate in certain crosses,while in others the male inherited more (visual at least )traits. I think that pollinating with more than one males would be a safer bet,because a male with a weak progeny can really mess your project.:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts