What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Need help with Diagnosis

sixpak

Can anyone tell me what's causing this rippling of the leaves?

Attachments

• 20170627_155421.jpg
    20170627_155421.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20170630_132848.jpg
    20170630_132848.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 4

Sport Farmer

Veteran
Have you grown this strain before? The reason I ask is, it may just be a genetic thing. It doesn't look like it's unhappy in my opinion and sometimes when they are growing fast they can ripple like that and in time will straighten out. Some strains have a twist in the leaves too...

I wouldn't stress on it too much unless it develops into something more severe looking. The plant looks pretty green and happy to me.

sixpak

More info, Plants are outdoor plants, Soil is a blend of 707 & native in 200 galloin pots amended with Blood meal, Feather meal, Alfalfa meal, Seabird guano, Gypsum, Rock dust, compost,Kelp meal, and Perlite. Soil does have some clay. Weather was hot last week with 10 days in a row over 100 degrees and very low humidity. Plants did get heavily over watered one time. Timer did not shut off. Letting the soil dry out now, have to be careful though don't want to over do it in this hot dry climate. Temps are always at least 90F this time a year most days closer to 100F. Water is from a well PH is 7.2 it's hard and has some ferrous iron ( clear water iron ).

MrBungle you pretty much covered everything it could possibly be. Maybe you could narrow it down a little. LOL

sixpak

Genetics has something to do with it because a plant growing in the same pot that is a different strain is not doing it.

MrBungle

it looks like the plants had a major pH swing.. did you transplant them into this mix recently?

Sport Farmer

Veteran
Come to think of it, it looks like the beginning of an over watering issue. The soil is probably too to firmly packed down and the roots aren't getting any air causing this twisting you're seeing. I had to refresh my memory but I have had a plant do this exact same thing when the soil was just too wet for too long.

Once thing you can do is aerate the soil with a long screwdriver or something similar. Pop several holes. This helps with loosening up the soil a bit and getting some oxygen back down there to help things dry out a bit. This has saved me many times.

In any case, good luck and let us know how it goes.

sixpak

Come to think of it, it looks like the beginning of an over watering issue. The soil is probably too to firmly packed down and the roots aren't getting any air causing this twisting you're seeing. I had to refresh my memory but I have had a plant do this exact same thing when the soil was just too wet for too long.

Once thing you can do is aerate the soil with a long screwdriver or something similar. Pop several holes. This helps with loosening up the soil a bit and getting some oxygen back down there to help things dry out a bit. This has saved me many times.

In any case, good luck and let us know how it goes.

Yeah, I agree this is most likely my problem. Will give the hole popping a try. Will update after I do it and give it some time. Thanks for taking time to help.

Sport Farmer

Veteran
Yeah man I believe that is your issue here. You can start to see how it's yellowing on the newer growth which I didn't really look closely at in your pics. It's not the right color green, it has that yellowish tint to it meaning its having a hard time breathing but it's coming on slowly because the plant is more mature so it's not fully clawing yet... So what you're seeing is the combo of it clawing (over watering symptom) and it growing at the same time.

sixpak

Only thing that I can't figure is the plant right next to it in the same pot is not showing symptoms??? It is a different strain. Guess some strains are more succeptable. Poked holes in the soil, will have to wait and see if it helps. Letting them dry out, just light surface watering. Got a moisture meter so I can keep an eye on it. Fingers crossed.

sixpak

I still think its a big pH swing... check your media pH if you can

Prelim soil check was 6.2, Will do a better check tomorrow. Water seemed a little higher than the normal 7.2. I will check that again tomorrow also. Don't want to screw with it until I am positive. My water reading was 7.8. But in soil outdoors that does not seem too crazy high. Figure the soil will buffer some. Was thinking maybe too much super in my soil because of the dark dull green color but no clawing or leaf tip burning except when they first went into the big pots and it was minimal and they grew out of it. Really hope I get this figured out before they start to flower.

sixpak

6.2 seems alright... hows the new growth since you aerated the soil?

Not too sure about that soil test. I was using distilled water which I just assumed was a neutral ph of around 7. Come to find out after watch some water testing video that distilled water can be acidic. New test today. Will ph water first.