What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How much weed do we really need?

M

moose eater

Enough to never run out, never have to buy, never have to smoke shwagg, and to be able to be whimsically generous to those you care about.

But my calculator lacks relevant symbols for those criteria, so, lacking a specific weight to point to, I say, "Stockpile, and keep a good cold freezer."

M

moose eater

....Oh....

....Oh....

.. and enough to possess a sufficient variety or array of cannabinoids to satisfy the many conditions or circumstances the human psyche might find itself in. :)

fizz

The gulf coast is going to be needing a lot of weed after this horrendous season. I feel bad for any growers down there.. as if the laws weren't bad enough, now the insane weather.

mack 10

Veteran
For top grade sift, yields of around an Oz of 99%
To a pound of bud (.+/-50% depending on bud quality)
So a lot is needed.

Grow that top shelf people.

St. Phatty

My weed from last year's grow is 10 months old now.

The 2 buds I got from the attempted outdoor winter grow are interesting ... but wouldn't last long if I did smoke them.

Guess I should plan a winter indoor crop so I have fresh bud this time next year.

EastFortRock

A lot

A lot

I live in Southern Oregon. You would be amazed at how many outdoor grows there is around here. Big multi pound plants! I grow a couple small outdoor hidden plants ( I have my reasons to hide them) . Word is that if you want to sell it on the black market, you need a lot, because the buyers want pounds, like 10 minimum . People buying small amounts, usually just go to a weed store. ( most consumers don't grow, even in Oregon).

St. Phatty

I live in Southern Oregon. You would be amazed at how many outdoor grows there is around here.

If you get 1 pound from a 5x5 foot area ... my first time around at the calcs, it worked out to about 1 million pounds per square mile of cultivation.

I was looking at a map of 238
attachment.php

Williams is the town that was named in the strain Williams Wonder.

I'm guessing there's at least 320 acres worth of grows on that stretch of road.

I wouldn't say that except ... it's not a secret. There's loads of air traffic, with wildfire planes, drones, etc.

Keeping in mind that this is just PART of one county.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the one county produce 1 million pounds.

Meanwhile, consumption in Oregon last year was about 200,000 pounds. I consumed about one pound myself :woohoo:

To me it looks like an epic over-supply condition.

Attachments

• williams.jpg
    williams.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 21

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Enough to never run out, never have to buy, never have to smoke shwagg, and to be able to be whimsically generous to those you care about.

But my calculator lacks relevant symbols for those criteria, so, lacking a specific weight to point to, I say, "Stockpile, and keep a good cold freezer."

Can you point me to an article on freezing?? Does it need to be vacuum sealed? Does it have to be extremely dry?

M

moose eater

No. I can't even tell you where I came to accept it as necessary.

I've smoked older weed that wasn't kept in those conditions, and weed that was, and I can tell you there was a major difference.

That said, I'd be surprised if there wasn't such information available on-line or elsewhere.

For long-term storage, whether weed, beef, fish. moose, veggies, or mushrooms, I seal air-tight, and open as needed. For shorter term storage, but involving packages I know I'll want to get into, I use bags inside jars. And again, it seems to make a difference with all of the above. .

Freezing extends the life of food, includiong nutritional value. Why would it be different with weed?

Can you point me to an article on freezing?? Does it need to be vacuum sealed? Does it have to be extremely dry?

M

moose eater

My curiosity was piqued by your question, Loc, so I Googled 'freezing cannabis,' and from what I found there, those who advise against it, are specifically referring to folks freezing weed that hasn't been properly cured yet, stating they prevent the weed from reaching its full potential by interfering in the changes THC undergoes in the curing process.

When I freeze weed, it's already cured, in a fairly dry finished state, and, as stated earlier, if not going to be opened soon, then air-tight sealed.

The sources I found on-line that warned against freezing, again, were specifically referring to weed that is not fully cured or dried yet.

Hope that helps to resolve the question.:tiphat:

EasyGoing

Same as always. The best of the crop goes fast. The less desirable is harder to move. The more you have, the easier it is to move regardless. So cal likes name brands. Bulk buys like "fuel".

The world needs smoke, we just need to set up farms, change the mailing laws, and supply the world.

oldchuck

Veteran
Loc Dog, freezing weed is the best method of storage I have found. I don't bother with curing or vacuum sealing. I just let it dry for a day or two then into the freezer in one gallon freezer bags.. A year later it comes out almost as fresh as just picked. The stuff that has been in the freezer for two years is a bit degraded but not bad either. I think the quicker it gets frozen the better.

M

moose eater

When I freeze fully-cured weed, I try to make sure it's 'springy dry'; meaning that when compressed it doesn't crumble, and can absorb pressure from the constriction of the bags. But I also interrupt the vacuum with a manual switch that allows the operator to stop the vacuum at what ever point they choose. Nice feature on a sealer I've managed (through specific processes, especially for freezing fish and meats) to keep the compressor alive for over 15 years.

I once found the remnants of a gallon-zip-lock of Columbian a friend had shipped back to the U.S. from Germany, in the 1970s, when he was in the military, with me finding the bag inside the large speaker cabinet probably at least 5 years, in the early 1980s, after it was shipped. Would've been better off smoking tobacco in that case. It was worthless.

There have been times that cured weed that was sealed and frozen comes out seemingly -better- than when it first went in to the freezer.

That supports others' observations I've read over time re. freezing all manner of items not totally arresting the processes, where degradation or what-have-you, but drastically -slowing- it.

Pork fat, or fat in general, is one example of things that will still go rancid, but take much longer to do so when frozen.

When I've dried and frozen psilocybe cubensis, I've made certain they were brittle, bone dry, inside a desiccant-filled, sealed, drying chamber, and then sealed in smaller, size-appropriate pouches.

I also keep all of our freezers clean and VERY cold (-15 to -20 f.), and never use self-defrosting freezers for our larger storage freezers; they dehydrate butcher-paper-wrapped meats and other stuff that folks don't want dry or dehydrated..

Loc Dog, freezing weed is the best method of storage I have found. I don't bother with curing or vacuum sealing. I just let it dry for a day or two then into the freezer in one gallon freezer bags.. A year later it comes out almost as fresh as just picked. The stuff that has been in the freezer for two years is a bit degraded but not bad either. I think the quicker it gets frozen the better.

mushroombrew

Veteran
Well if 10% of the US population smokes 1G per day the US needs about 53,000lbs per day.

Thats a good bit I think. I see the future like this. 90% of flower goes into extracts. Outdoor flower will be in abundance. It all ready is. $850/# is not uncommon in CA. Just saw GH early pearl for $700. So yeah your're fucked if you grow outdoor. Unless you can afford a CO2 machine it will be hard to compete down the road.

Only the super primo indoor flower will have any value in a decade.

I am focusing on efficiency now as I expect AAA flower to be worth about $US 500/# in 5 years.

Loc Dog

Veteran
No. I can't even tell you where I came to accept it as necessary.

I've smoked older weed that wasn't kept in those conditions, and weed that was, and I can tell you there was a major difference.

That said, I'd be surprised if there wasn't such information available on-line or elsewhere.

For long-term storage, whether weed, beef, fish. moose, veggies, or mushrooms, I seal air-tight, and open as needed. For shorter term storage, but involving packages I know I'll want to get into, I use bags inside jars. And again, it seems to make a difference with all of the above. .

Freezing extends the life of food, includiong nutritional value. Why would it be different with weed?

I know that shrooms, vacuum sealed and frozen last a long time. Cookies also.

Loc Dog

Veteran
My curiosity was piqued by your question, Loc, so I Googled 'freezing cannabis,' and from what I found there, those who advise against it, are specifically referring to folks freezing weed that hasn't been properly cured yet, stating they prevent the weed from reaching its full potential by interfering in the changes THC undergoes in the curing process.

When I freeze weed, it's already cured, in a fairly dry finished state, and, as stated earlier, if not going to be opened soon, then air-tight sealed.

The sources I found on-line that warned against freezing, again, were specifically referring to weed that is not fully cured or dried yet.

Hope that helps to resolve the question.:tiphat:

Do you consider 63% fully cured?

Latest posts

Latest posts