What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Conversation Starter - What's Your Favourite Whiskey?

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
I grew up drinking Bourbon so I have lots of favorites, but here are my top three:

Value - Kentucky Gentlemen

Everyday - Maker's Mark

Special Occasion - Elijah Craig 18 year old (haven't been able to find any for about a year now)

I've never tasted Pappy Van Winkle and don't know if I ever will. But for the ultra special occasion, my favorite is Middleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey. Wish I had kept all the bottles and their cases but I didn't.

Hope to see a few more of these before I'm gone.

picture.php

View image in gallery

Jahnice

thicker skin in training
ICMag Donor
I had Baileys and Evan Williams in my coffee this morning. Happy Easter!

that sounds like an 'Irish breakfast'!

we stayed at a hotel last xmas holidays.
i brought my bottle of Bailey's down to the xmas morning brunch
to have with my morning coffee.
got lots of weird looks but i couldn't stop laughing.:laughing:

HatchBrew

Veteran
If you like wheated bourbon like pappy, check out Weller antique 107 and the Weller 12yr. They use the same mash bill as pappy, same barrels just aged in a different level of the barrel house, and they are a little younger, though the 12yr is particularly good.

That's awesome I'll check to see if they're available round me. Thanks

bigshrimp

Veteran
I've been drinking Eagle Rare for a while - 10 year kentucky bourbon.

Good upper middle shelf stuff that's the right price to drink whenever i want.

HatchBrew

Veteran
If you like wheated bourbon like pappy, check out Weller antique 107 and the Weller 12yr. They use the same mash bill as pappy, same barrels just aged in a different level of the barrel house, and they are a little younger, though the 12yr is particularly good.

The WL Weller Special reserve was my christmas present. Good drink.

MJBadger

Veteran
sorta surprised that nobody's mentioned George Dickel.......

That`s not whisky , you can`t compare the poofs Tennesee suger arsed drink to a Scottish old malt .

:biggrin:

TheArchitect

Veteran
The WL Weller Special reserve was my christmas present. Good drink.

Haven't tried that one yet, might have to grab a pour(neat always) next time I'm at my local watering hole. Lucilky I know they have it, amongst their other awesome list of scotch, bourbon and cognac

J.V

ICMag Donor
i hope you're not intending on drinking the Glenfarclas in shots

and what about the glass to drink it in ?

i allways try to have a clean Glencairn whiskey glass to drink from when at home

Hey Orev....Straight shots of Glenfarclas.....or whatever else is going at the time... Don't have a Glencairn whiskey glass, but I did see them last time I was at my mate Dan's. [Dan Murphy's]...Might have to pick one up...

Got fucked up last night.......Went out to a friends place out in the sticks and had a few shots of whiskey, Like to start out with something light in taste and flavour. Than work up to the stronger tasting scotch.....and finish with a peat flavoured whiskey or the Drambuie......Anyways, the last shot put me over the edge...ended up pulling over and vomiting....

Something light......Canadian Club or Crown Royal

Something stronger in taste.....Teachers or Grants 12 year old or a shot of Bourbon.....Jim.... Jack....Woodford Reserve...So many to choose from.....Much like the Scotch.

A Dark Whiskey....Bowmore 12 year old....Laguvlin...Ardbeg....Laphroaig...Absolutely Positively ..Scrumptious
All those great peat flavoured whiskey's from Islay.:)

diggdugg

Anything from Islay!
Talisker 10

..and the Glencairn glasses are a must. I got a set of four off ebay for around $30.

lolryn

Veteran
Glenlivet 16 year nadurra.

very unique flavor, very strong and tasteful. think vanilla oak.

very pricey compared to JD or JB

orev

Glenlivet 16 year nadurra.

very unique flavor, very strong and tasteful. think vanilla oak.

very pricey compared to JD or JB

i wouldn't even dream on comparing Glenlivet 16 to a JD or J&B... :shucks:
not at taste nor price range

Glenlivet 16 - Single Malt Scotch
J&B - Blended Scotch
Jack Daniels - Tennessee Bourbon

non

Veteran
i quite rarely have whiskey, but i'd go for laphroiag type stuff if i were to purchase a bottle for those special occasions.

blastfrompast

Veteran
Just walked down the the liquor store and bought myself a bottle of 12yr old Chivas Regal.. My scotch of choice when I do drink.

Rye for me is Wisers 10yr old, crown is a bit too sweet.

Bourbon... Wild turkey....nice sour flavor...though I wish I could find a bourbon with a real sour bite to it..

Scotch is my favorite tho....3 drink max tho..or I go scotch crazy..

Jahnice

thicker skin in training
ICMag Donor
'Wine Spectator' magazine has a great article on all things Scotch called,
'The expanding world of Scotch-
An insiders guide from whiskey expert Dave Broom'
October 15, 2014
Www.winespectator.com:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts