What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Broad Mites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDank

Veteran
I have broad mites too :(

for the past year, I have been having problems growing my plants. Once in a while, in veg, my plants would show what appears to be nitrogen toxicity. So I had to switch up my feeding regimen. I had to constantly keep my medium flushed to avoid any kind of build-up, because I thought I was overfeeding my plants. My problem was fixed temporarily. Then in flower, everything would be fine till around day 15-20. Then the plants would stop stretching, become very dark in color (again, thought it was N toxicity), and the flowers wouldn't form. The pistils would die back immediately, and the flowers wouldn't form. The stems would become very unhealthy. Finally after around week 4 of flower, depending on strain, the plants would snap out and finally form flowers. The infected plants tend to hold on to an extremely dark green color, and the leaves have a very thick almost leathery texture

I found that pure indicas, and the lower yielding sativas were affected the most. Large yielding hybrids were the least affected. They attack the weakest part of the plant, which is the new growth at the tops. The middle and bottoms of the plants were affected the least. Picture a plant at day 30 of flower, with no white pistils and a very unhealthy dark green color and clawing leaves.

I thought I was having feeding issues. i completely changed my feed schedule to fix the problem. I only lost 1 crop from this, and then had to completely change my regimen to continue to grow plants. Yesterday is when I figured out what my problem was the whole time. I think I am a decent grower who has this plant figured out, and before I realized it was Broad Mites attacking my garden, I was second guessing my growing skills and even thought that the products I have been using somehow "changed?" and began to give me problems

I tried Monterey House & Garden to kill them. Didn't work at all. I have been reading that Conserve SC does work, so I'll try to pick some of that up this weekend. They also have a faster life cycle than your typical 2-spotted spider mites, so hopefully they will be easier to eliminate

Dave Coulier

Veteran
I have broad mites too :(

for the past year, I have been having problems growing my plants. Once in a while, in veg, my plants would show what appears to be nitrogen toxicity. So I had to switch up my feeding regimen. I had to constantly keep my medium flushed to avoid any kind of build-up, because I thought I was overfeeding my plants. My problem was fixed temporarily. Then in flower, everything would be fine till around day 15-20. Then the plants would stop stretching, become very dark in color (again, thought it was N toxicity), and the flowers wouldn't form. The pistils would die back immediately, and the flowers wouldn't form. The stems would become very unhealthy. Finally after around week 4 of flower, depending on strain, the plants would snap out and finally form flowers. The infected plants tend to hold on to an extremely dark green color, and the leaves have a very thick almost leathery texture

I found that pure indicas, and the lower yielding sativas were affected the most. Large yielding hybrids were the least affected. They attack the weakest part of the plant, which is the new growth at the tops. The middle and bottoms of the plants were affected the least. Picture a plant at day 30 of flower, with no white pistils and a very unhealthy dark green color and clawing leaves.

I thought I was having feeding issues. i completely changed my feed schedule to fix the problem. I only lost 1 crop from this, and then had to completely change my regimen to continue to grow plants. Yesterday is when I figured out what my problem was the whole time. I think I am a decent grower who has this plant figured out, and before I realized it was Broad Mites attacking my garden, I was second guessing my growing skills and even thought that the products I have been using somehow "changed?" and began to give me problems

I tried Monterey House & Garden to kill them. Didn't work at all. I have been reading that Conserve SC does work, so I'll try to pick some of that up this weekend. They also have a faster life cycle than your typical 2-spotted spider mites, so hopefully they will be easier to eliminate

Sorry to hear you have them too Mr. Dank. Your symptoms are nearly the same as mine except the N deficiency. That could be something else, as broad mites attack new growth. They secrete a toxin into plant tissue that damages the new growth, and transpiration is also affected reducing Ca, and Bo uptake, so expect Ca, and Bo deficiencies when these guys are around too.

I would suggest you pick up a second or third option for dealing with the mites. Its not enough to use one product and treat when they pop up. We all need to be taking preventative steps to ever prevent them from gaining a large enough population to cause problems.

Ill be using a generic version of Avid, and Forbid to alternate with Spinosad. Make sure to use alternate MOA's to reduce resistance build up to the miticides. These little shits aren't welcome in my garden :)

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Update: I treated all my ladies last night with Forbid 4f last night after doing a phytotoxicity test with a few ladies a couple days before. None of the plants showed any problem when using 1/8teaspoon/gallon of water. Ill update in a week about how effective it is, but I expect it'll be pretty damned effective.

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
forbid, avid, mighty wash call it a day guys... dont play around...

also liquid sulfur seems to knock them down but WILL NOT get rid of them completely.

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
I'm calling DEA on this. First the super resistant spider mites, then root aphids, now broad mites. They are waging a covert war on us through our suppliers. They put eggs in stuff most commonly used for herb.

Dorky

Damn it Damn it. I think I got these lil fuckers. I need to find my 60x scope.

Grow Tech you get forbid from my suggested store? They also have bifen, avid, floramite, and the new azasol.

I blasted my girls with some forbid tonight.

Mhua ha ha I found my Botanigard ES

Three entomogenous fungi, Beauveria bassiana, Metarhizium anisopliae, and Paecilomyces fumosoroseus, can effectively manage broad mite infestations, with B. bassiana providing the greatest reduction.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarsonemidae#cite_note-2

Dorky

-Bacillus thuringiensis: for the destruction of caterpillars and fungus gnat larvae.
-Beauveria bassiana: will control a number of pests such as termites, thrips, whiteflies, aphids, and beetles.
-Metarhizium anisopliae: will infect spittle bugs and weevils, and thrips.
-Verticillium lecanii: will infect and kill aphids, whiteflies, rust fungi, and scale.
-Paecilomyces: will effectively eradicate many pests, including several species of spider mites

-Bacillus spp: for control of powdery mildew

-Rhodopseudomonas palustris- photosynthetic bacteria

-Rhodospirillum rubrum-photosynthetic bacteria

Storm Shadow

Veteran
One more find

Caps foliar pack

FOLIAR PACK:

The foliar pack is designed as a 100% safe, non chemical spray for insect control. It contains the following species at 5 billion organisms per gram each.

-Bacillus thuringiensis: for the destruction of caterpillars and fungus gnat larvae.
-Beauveria bassiana: will control a number of pests such as termites, thrips, whiteflies, aphids, and beetles.
-Metarhizium anisopliae: will infect spittle bugs and weevils, and thrips.
-Verticillium lecanii: will infect and kill aphids, whiteflies, rust fungi, and scale.
-Paecilomyces: will effectively eradicate many pests, including several species of spider mites

-Bacillus spp: for control of powdery mildew

-Rhodopseudomonas palustris- photosynthetic bacteria

-Rhodospirillum rubrum-photosynthetic bacteria

Please do not promote vendors from THAT other lame Website....

Mods should remove the post .. Pimpin products for CAP on this thread isnt happening... We have listed all the Chemicals needed to handle this problem... The products above are crap and 10x overpriced... CAP is a crook and so is LOGIC

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
picture.php

You may have mites too but I am pretty sure that is thrip damage.

S

swisscheese

I think the above pic is thrips not any type of mite. I had to toss a few moms and spray the crap out of my room a few times to get under control. I won't say completely eradicated but able to finish flower. I used organocide, azamax, floramite, safer fungicide in a rotation and have killed 90% plus. Also did a foliar spray with jaz spray and separately triacontanol up to the third week of flower. Threw out huge moms of lemon cake, sfv og, and bruce banner #3 that were crawling with them.

Midnight

Veteran
I think the above pic is thrips not any type of mite. I had to toss a few moms and spray the crap out of my room a few times to get under control. I won't say completely eradicated but able to finish flower. I used organocide, azamax, floramite, safer fungicide in a rotation and have killed 90% plus. Also did a foliar spray with jaz spray and separately triacontanol up to the third week of flower. Threw out huge moms of lemon cake, sfv og, and bruce banner #3 that were crawling with them.

I can assure you it is NOT thrips. It is what happens when you let mites go unchecked for two weeks. And this whole thread is the reason I grow my own, I sure don't want to smoke some mite and pesticide infested crap. I'll spray mine when they are in veg, and even in flower if i am doing a seed run and don't plan on smoking the stuff, but all the chemicals you guys are using, well, I would not touch that stuff with a ten foot pole, and I don't give one flying fuck about how many days the stuff stays on/in a plant, I ain't smoking it period. My shit got the heave ho because i needed to clean my room and get rid of the little bastards because I now have a crop going that I do intend to smoke.

ghostnugz

ICMag Donor
Veteran
heres some flicks of broadmite damage on my adawgs. the mites really seemed to like this one as opposed to the other cut im running(supposed to be more adawg but got mislabels instead :/ ) mites ran wild for the whole life these these plants, bout 5 weeks till treatment.

the mislabeled adawgs(possibly bd x og or gc) the mites didnt seem to like these ladies as miuch

these flicks are from the day after first spinosad treatment. so far its been 8 days since first treament. havent seen anything living in 5 days. did another spray down with neem oil last night at lights off. will be spraying down with spinosad one more time tonite. i alternate the hot shot pest strip between tents each day. what ive done seems to be working so far. plants are fully flowering now. the adawgs got it the worst, theyll take atleast an extra week to finish. the mislabel trucked through and are looking only maybe a few days behind what they should be. i recommend trying the hsps. storm and dank are saying the spinosad and neem dont work but maybe in conjunction with the hsps they work well? just a thought as what ive tried appears to be working atm...

Norkali

WTF Shan I knew Avid was strong but WTF! I use that shit indoors, I spray with a mask on and long sleeve shirt, then I leave the room for an hour or longer....Havent noticed anything wrong before, but that shit gets all over the place in my veg cab and I dont even worry bout it...Hmmm

[SIZE=+2]Pot Shots[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+2]Pesticides Made Her Sick; Herb Got Her Well[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+2]By FRED GARDNER[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+3]A[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]fter six weeks in the hospital, Jane Weirick returned to her home in Hayward in mid-February. She is recovering from a rare, extremely debilitating illness that may have resulted from chemical exposure, according to her Kaiser doctors. Jane is convinced the chemical assault came from Avid, a pesticide that a few growers of "medical" marijuana reportedly spray on their plants to control spider mites.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Jane has been on the cutting edge of the medical marijuana movement -literally- since 1996, when she was responsible for packaging at Dennis Peron's SF Cannabis Buyers Club. After Prop 215 passed, she began trimming and packaged cannabis for growers and for new Bay Area dispensaries.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]When the state forced the SFCBC to close in April '98, leaving thousands of patients without their drug of choice, Jane and Wayne Justmann, Randi Webster and Gary Farnsworth found a building for rent at 350 Divisadero and transformed the drab, vacant space into the San Francisco Patients Resource Center. In 2003 Jane opened her own club in the East Bay while continuing to run her trimming-and-processing service.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]As 2004 was winding down, Jane decided to sell the dispensary. Maybe her body sensed trouble coming and her mind got the message. The trouble arrived, as she tells it, on Thanksgiving. "I thought I had the flu. I was tired, I had a headache, I felt sick. I went to the doctor. They gave me painkillers *hydrocodone. They told me 'Take two of these every four hours.' I did that. After two weeks it occurred to me that I was hooked on the painkillers and decided to kick them, which took me three days. But then I couldn't walk.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"I kept going downhill through Christmas. New Year's Eve they moved me by ambulance to Kaiser Hayward. Nine neurologists looked at me. They checked for viral meningitis, brain tumors, you name it. It took them 29 days to come up with a diagnosis. Then they moved me to Kaiser Vallejo. When I got there my entire right side was paralyzed. I couldn't talk, couldn't move. I was in total pain, getting dilaudid intravenously every four hours. I couldn't lift my head up.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"The second day I was there Big Mike came and brought me a joint. Went out in the back and smoked it. I started holding my head up. Next day he brought me another and I held my head up all day. Three days later I could hold my back up. A week later, starting to walk.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"We don't know if cannabis helped bring me back, but Kaiser Vallejo gave me a place to go smoke. Security would wave. Everyone knew what I was doing. I would have brought a Volcano in but I couldn't use my hands. I signed my name today (2/23), that was a first. I'm learning how to type again, starting to catch up on my emails."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Jane says that when she began packaging extensively for the San Francisco CBC, all the cannabis passing through her hands had been grown outdoors. Now, she estimates, 75 to 80 percent of the cannabis sold in Bay Area dispensaries is grown indoors. The outdoor percentage "goes up somewhat around harvest" for a few months. (Cannabis grown indoors is much more susceptible to spider mites.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] Avid, manufactured by Syngenta (formerly by Novartis), is a so-called "natural" pesticide, extracted from a soil bacterium. It is applied to plants in the flowering stage. It is classified by the industry as "slightly" toxic, but by entomologists as "highly" toxic.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Jane says that only "five or six" of the vendors for whom she used to trim admit they used Avid, "and only two used it a lot. But we have no idea how much exposure it takes to cause this, so we don't know how many other people might be affected."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Jane regrets working for one vendor who now admits using Avid heavily. "Over the years I trimmed for him, I packaged for him, I quality-controlled for him. I also found out that my next door neighbor was using it and I could have picked it up from the property I was living on. There's been a lot of exposure."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Jane says the onset of her illness was preceded by about seven months by a severe allergic attack. At that time, she says, "I had to stop trimming and packaging because it made me sneeze so bad."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Jane's advice to those who package or trim cannabis: "Wear masks, wear long sleeves, wear gloves, ventilate the area, and don't do it as much as I did."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Jane was off cannabis for about a week and a half when she first went to the hospital. The initial diagnosis was a brain tumor and she received three days of chemotherapy, during which she says she was "Miserable and nauseous, not eating and throwing up. On the second day they didn't give me any painkillers and when I screamed, they shut the door. The third day I ate a bunch of cannabis caramels and slept all night. Woke up, ate breakfast and didn't throw up. The nurses are in there going 'What happened?' And I told them. The doctor came in and I told him what I was doing and he said 'Fine.' So I ate caramels and when I got to Vallejo, Mike came up and we smoked. And when I could use my hands, I went out there myself."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Jane says she was "off cigarettes a lot longer because nobody would bring me those." She's now using her Volcano vaporizer but her fingers are still not nimble enough to load it.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Tod Mikuriya, MD, thinks "presumptive delayed allergic hypersensitivity" is a reasonable diagnosis and advised Weirick to undergo to confirm it. Mikuriya has been been urging since the mid-1990s that cannabis dispensed for medical purposes be screened for pesticide residue. "Patients with HIV and other illnesses that compromise the immune system are at even greater risk [than Weirick]," he observes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Dr. Russell Jaffe, apprised of Weirick's history, sees "a good chance that a hormone disrupter chemical is at work, perhaps along with its metabolite (epoxide, usually)."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Dr. X comments: "Avid works as a GABA agonist. So if Jane was given any GABA-agonist medications she would have gotten worse (valium or other muscle relaxants, alcohol). If you go to Pubmed, you'll find lots of research that suggests THC decreases GABA in parts of the brain, so Jane's treatment makes sense!" [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]A serious organic agronomist consulted by C Notes comments, "Abamectin [the active ingredient in Avid] is called by some a "soft" pesticide because it's made by a bacterium, it's 'natural.' But just because a toxin is made by a bacterium doesn't mean it's safe for human ingestion. Occasionally people have called to ask what pesticide to use and I say, 'Absolutely no, out of the question.' There need to be cultural practices initiated up front that prevent the need for controlled materials.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"Prevention is the key, period. There are truly 'soft' materials: Soaps, oils, water pressure. There are tools to contol pests, there's no excuse to use these pesticides -it's greed, it's dumb, it's just not right."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Jane is in a wheelchair as we go to press, but steadily improving. She says she wants to show herself in her current state "to scare people." An irony of her situation is that just prior to falling ill, Jane had been trying to revive the Medical Cannabis Association, a trade group she helped organize in 1998, to promote production and safety standards. Now she's even more committed to the idea.

Food for thought...
[/SIZE]

paulobaca

Well...yes & no.
This summer / fall I had a plant outdoors that I now believe had Broad Mites. Without treatment it did what you mention, where it was stunted at first & then started to flower more normally.

My Broad mites were almost excluseively concentrated on the newest growth tips when I finally id'ed them. Thats one of the reasons i missed them for so long. I tend to look for pests on the lower shaded leaves.

When I first spotted them on my stunted buds, they were moving amongst gland heads seemingly happy. I do beleive that most pests, including Broad mites are adverse to large amounts of resin. WIth that in mind i have continued to check my lower leaves to see if they've migrated down. So far nada.

Sorry to bring up WT but Oswizzle posted a magnified pic of a broad mite on top of a trichome having a nice meal on the PO thread titled broad mites.

These foqers have made a recent appearance in my garden. They love sticky buds, especially pistils.

Very easy for these guys to go unnoticed until you are in flower and see a bunch of dying pistils (they don't just brown, they dry up and look dead).

Unfortunately I am 100% certain that I have what growtech has. I guess unlike spider mites, these guys do ok in cold weather.

NPS is pretty effective on these buggers.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Sorry to bring up WT but Oswiggle posted a magnified pic of a broad mite on top of a trichome having a nice meal on the PO thread titled broad mites.

These foqers have made a recent appearance in my garden. They love sticky buds, especially pistils.

Very easy for these guys to go unnoticed until you are in flower and see a bunch of dying pistils (they don't just brown, they dry up and look dead).

Unfortunately I am 100% certain that I have what growtech has. I guess unlike spider mites, these guys do ok in cold weather.

NPS is pretty effective on these buggers.

Oswizzle<<<<<

Triple Action Neem Oil is so damn effective on these guys... everyone needs this stuff on deck...so far its the only 10000000% contact killer i have seen for these guys.. best thing about it...its an Ovacide too

S

Shan Diego

Holy Crap! Here's why everybody will eventually get broad mites!

Holy Crap! Here's why everybody will eventually get broad mites!

How many times have you heard 'I have a sealed room, and I don't ever get clones from anybody else. I'll never get bugs...' Think again. This type of hitchhiking is called 'Phoresy.' That's a whitefly with 9 broadmite stowaways.

paulobaca

How many times have you heard 'I have a sealed room, and I don't ever get clones from anybody else. I'll never get bugs...' Think again. This type of hitchhiking is called 'Phoresy.' That's a whitefly with 9 broadmite stowaways.

Seriously a few articles I read mention specifically that they hitch rides on white flies. I wonder if they ride gnats too?

They also like low temps and high humidity.

Chili_berkster

Badass
ICMag Donor
Veteran
well guys, I really feel sorry for y'all. I had this very issue and i didnt figure it out till all my strains were infected. I tried everything. I lived the world of wondering wtf did i do wrong. Till finally i caught a glimse of something moving on the newest growth. Looked like a microscopic flash of light. Heh, long story short. I lost about 20 killer heirloom strains. had to clean house and start over. I tried the hot water dunks, the hot oil, the sprays, even habenaro juice. alls i did was kill most plants and or almost kill all the mites. I can say from experience guys and this is gonna sting real bad.
Start over with fresh genetics and clean every inch of your shit b4 even thinking of starting a grow again. You will save yourself alot of time and money. Again i feel for you guys, these broad mites are just wicked shit.

Dorky

These lil bastards cause lots of damage quick.....

but follow Storm Shadows suggestions blamo dead.

I did
Day1- Forbid
Day2- Spinosad and Botanigard
Day4- Avid

Day 7 I saw fungus growing on dead mites

I got some neem on deck too but don't wanna use if I don't have cause it could kill my botanigard

Dave Coulier

Veteran
I appreciate the advice, but there's no way Im throwing away 8 different strains. While it may not be possible to eradicate the mites from the garden, I think you can manage them to an acceptable level with alternating miticides, and any other methods you would want to employ. Avid and Avid generics have a 93% Effective Rate against Broad Mites. As much as people may hate to use these products, they are by far the most effective means of controlling/combating them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts