What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plant Diagnosis?

the END

Hello, so I have this plant...
here it is on 6/18 after being topped... generally looking green and healthy, after going through its greatest week and a half growth spurt.
growme001.jpg

again on 6/20. with heat being the most obvious issue. I beleive the soil cooked the roots at this time
growme015.jpg

growme016.jpg

Here we are today. 6/29
growme009.jpg

growme003.jpg

I would like some advice some some more experienced growers. I'm wondering If I am having an issue with PH or nutrient lockout, Plant has been growing, but in general quite slowly and not nearly as lusciously green as before.Roots also seem to be stabilizing.
The soil is a mixture of ffof with mushroom compost, compost, peat and verm.
Has been fed with small-medium amounts of ff grow big, alaska fish fert and molasses. Still in Veg, sunlight during day, MH at night
Judging by the pre-flowers I'm pretty sure this plant is a male, but idc since I'm racking up all the experience I can in any ways I can and even plan on trying an experimental seed run until I can REALLY understand what's going on.
thank you IC

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The mix sounds a bit high in nutrients for that ratio of pot to plant size, which is still fairly large pot, fairly small plant. Since the roots didn't explore the entire pot yet, the added fish ferts and molasses could have promoted souring (dropping PH) in the unexplored areas, which would prevent the roots from going there. Looking at your pics, which are quite good BTW, that's kind of what I thought first. I have a question though about moving the plant indoors and out. How do you know your photoperiod is staying even? Fluctuations in daylength are not well tolerated by cannabis.

the END

My photo-period is not even. I figured the way I was doing it would be equivalent to a 24/0 light cycle with some fluctuations in light intensity (giving plant a cool rest time, but almost no complete darkness) I have done this before on my first grow and successfully gave my outdoor plants an extra veg time with supplemental lighting at night with no ill effects.
I believe you are right about the souring soil. It seems to make sense to me. IS there anything I can do/add to bring it more in balance? I am currently not feeding, as I am sure there is plenty of nutrients available. In the future I will prepare a more even soil mix to begin with, this being half the problem.

ibjamming

Veteran
Did you move it from indoors to outdoors? You don't say and it looks to me like you burned it up in the hot sun without enough water...or the roots cooked, like you assumed.

You need to harden plants to the sun...just a couple of hours at first...then back to the HID. Slowly build it up to full time. Keep the roots as cool as you can...

The last pictures look like they're coming out of it. Hopefully you just fried the leaves in the sun.

I'm no expert in "planters outside" so someone else will correct/add to this.

I think they'll make it fine...good luck!

IWanaGetHiSoHi

You have a touch of The Claw which can be brought on with too much N. I say a "touch" because your tips aren't all burnt up. Like others have said, it looks like it coming out of it.

the END

Thanks for the input guys!
I def. burned him up in the sun at first, and cooked the roots.
and while recovering from that It must have gone through the souring soil issue
These last couple days between Hid and the Sun, I notice on some days there seems to be more growth and an overall happier outlook from the plant, as if it is switching back and fourth between root and leaf growth.

The main concern of my current observations is that the leaves seem very rough, somewhat dry, thick feeling. They aren't very perky, green, or strong smelling.
which is completely different from where this plant started with smooth, green, perky, fast growing, stinky leaves. (of course this was before I started using the sun and burnt him though)

All-in-all, I know this plant will have no trouble pulling through, I was more curious if somebody would be able to pinpoint some type of ph issue and a remedy. And I am happy with the feedback. Hoping to get this plant back to where it was before and i guess I'll just have to give it some time.

the END

Update and PH.

I removed the smaller earlier affected leaves.
father002.jpg

Not looking very happy, alternatively, not yet dying...
father004.jpg

Ouch, am I reading a 7.0-7.5 ph? mind this came from about an inch an a half below the surface, can't really break in deeper due to rootage.
father005.jpg

Here's some clones from the same plant before it really stalled up on me
father006.jpg

and here's 2 of his siblings, showing cal-mag def?
father007.jpg

father008.jpg

So.... what's the word IC?

... I'm thinking a good flush tomorrow and maybe some citric acid from grapefruit???

B

bonjourbonjour

Feed plain water

Do not over water (re pot to better soil with more drainage)

Flush if your soil has good drainage

Do not add fertilizer

Wait a few days (3-5) and let them get better by themselves dont overwhelm them with different methods of recovery

sneakinman13

Veteran
Feed plain water

Do not add fertilizer

Wait a few days (3-5) and let them get better by themselves dont overwhelm them with different methods of recovery

^^^^ spot on

the END

Great advice my man!
Here's what just went down;
-Mixed up some soil with about half perlite
-filled a bucket of water/un-potted my baby/rinsed off/massaged roots in bucket(a ton of very fine black sediment collected at the bottom)
-replanted in FAR better draining soil
-Fed a small amount of B1
-now under some floros twitching back to life hehe ;)

I think I pretty much knew for a couple weeks now that I had a bad soil mix, So glad you inspired me to take it to the next level. Every aspect just seems soooo much better now.
I just know hell recover and then some!

now for tomorrow, I REALLY need to get my hands on some dolomite lime, been so hard to find around here...

thank you!!

♥Mo♥

yeah that

yeah that

Feed plain water

Do not add fertilizer

This should put you back to a normal start. Also to get an accurate reading of your ph, you want to catch the runoff from the bottom of the pot after a good watering. Testing an inch or so of soil will not really give you an accurate ph reading of the overall soil condition. Good luck, should be just fine.:tiphat:

the END

As per request, and on-going condition...

Here is a picture of the main plant in question from yesterday
silversurfer001.jpg

And from today(After removing weakest fan leaves)...
silversurfer005.jpg

silversurfer006.jpg

Here is a Sibling from yesterday
silversurfer002.jpg

And from today...
silversurfer004.jpg

Another sibling Yesterday
silversurfer003.jpg

And Today...
silversurfer007.jpg

Sorry I can't be very specific with nutrients and all of that, But since my last post I have acquired some Dolomite lime which I added by mixing into water. Immediately, The Dolomite seemed to have a subtle positive effect on all 3 plants. I have also been experimenting around (surely slightly over-doing it in some instances) with adding Earth Juice Grow/ Blackstrap Molasses/ Alaska fish fert. The plant in coco had been given a mixture of the 3, the small plant(3rd pictured) had NOT been given Fish, and the Main plant in question had only been given a very small amount of fish in comparison. I speculate the nutrients might be having some effect on the growth rate of the roots, which ultimately leads me to think it would be most wise to let em sit for a couple more days and feed plain water, OR even try adding a drop of superthrive to stimulate the root production.
If there is anything else you guys can notice please let me know! The main plant still seems far from perfect health, But I am very glad to know how Hardy this particular strain is.
I actually have the name of the strain now, and got to test out some smoke.. Silver Surfer... Good Sativa, and obviously quite some variety...

I'm going to foliar feed some Epsom salt right now, it seems to have helped in the past...

B

bonjourbonjour

Sorry I can't be very specific with nutrients and all of that, But since my last post I have acquired some Dolomite lime which I added by mixing into water. Immediately, The Dolomite seemed to have a subtle positive effect on all 3 plants. ...

Step1. STOP FEEDING ANY FERTILIZER NUTRIENTS ONLY WATER
Step2. Check your PH of the run off. You want it at 5.8-6.3 no more no less
Step3. Your water should be dechlorinated before giving to your plants. (to dechlorinate let water sit for 24 hours)
Step4. Check temps and keep them at 80-85F night temps no lower then 70F

Step5. Stop using dolomite you should have mixed it in with your soil from the beginning.

FYI. if you must start fertilizing and you feel you cant live without doing so, then make some tea with worm castings or something organic. 100% organic I am talking OMRI "African cave bat" shit

Last edited:

the END

1.Worm Castings, Molasses, Water
2.Ph within range
3.Now Have pitchers of water dechlorinating
4.80 is the lowest temp these plant will ever get. with highs of 110. Plant has def. adapted more to the heat and becoming more hardy.
5. If all doesnt improve significantly in the next 3 or so days, I may decide to flush roots and re-pot into an even better soil mixture (as I did not have Dolomite when I mixed this first batch)
I'm glad I'm in no rush to see results, Patience always proves to be the biggest thing in growing, picking up small amounts of knowledge here and there with every little mistake and improvement.

As far as deficiencies goes, Can we spot the obvious? My guess and healthy reason for Molasses (though I will use plain water for the next few days) was it looks like it is potassium deficient, as well as slight magnesium, with Heat being a big factor in the plant's adaptability. The plant IS better than when I first made this post, and I DID add a couple of unnecessary circumstances since. The plant seems to have decided not to die and should therefore recover...so long as I don't get any more ridiculous with curative methods.
Thanks for the response

B

bonjourbonjour

Let me get this str8 you have temps of 110F? That is waaaaaay toooo high. Your soil seems like it has wood chips? They might be causing your ph to F*ck up. Re-pot get some HP soil mix your plants will be happy

the END

Yep, gets hot in the low desert... Some plants will die within days some plants get stronger and stronger after a couple days.
No woodchips, well maybe a few from mixing in cheap soils
I'm going to leave everything as is for a couple days, as I am seeing improvements. I will update when I have some more Green to show for.
Thanks for all the help though man! MerciMerci!

I might end up repotting, but at this point I dont think it will be very necessary come a couple days from now.

the END

Couple Days gone by, Had wonderful recovery growth, but now seems stalled again. Or perhaps focusing on roots?

Silver Surfers
This picture makes them look just about perfectly healthy and recovered. I think they are stalled again though, and wouldnt be too surprised to see the newest leaves yellow and die as time goes by.
Leaves on all 3 plants seem very thin, low odor, bluish tint? yellow grow tips, brown leaf tips (N burn, or K def?) slow, non-vigorous Overall lacking growth. OR maybe I should keep waiting.. I do think they are hungry! but I'll give it atleast 2 days after a straight watering today.
22028026.jpg

60443781.jpg

VVV this one had some red on leaf stems begin to appear
gr0uu005.jpg

gr0uu010.jpg

gr0uu006.jpg

NERVERMORE420

What is wrong with this plant?

What is wrong with this plant?

Can anybody tell me what this is? I have been dealing with fungus gnats. Got them pretty well under control with neem oil.wondering if these may be bites or an infection or even nutrient issue? Im stumped. First grow. I believe this is Cindy White. I really want to stop whatever this is. Thanks.

Attachments

• 1500036689824164798918.jpg
    1500036689824164798918.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 1500036734995-2118377171.jpg
    1500036734995-2118377171.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 15000367541141450694565.jpg
    15000367541141450694565.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 1500036784792-929528355.jpg
    1500036784792-929528355.jpg