What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Caution when using "Hot Shot No-Pest Strips."

B

Blue Dot

Regulatory Status: The EPA has classified it as toxicity class I - highly toxic, because it may cause cancer and there is only a small margin of safety for other effects. Products containing dichlorvos must bear the Signal Words DANGER - POISON. Dichlorvos is a Restricted Use Pesticide (RUP) and may be purchased and used only by certified applicators.

No wonder it kills pests. lol

This stuff is bad news!

minds_I

Veteran
Would a carbon scrubber remove the toxic elements from air that passes through it? I'm wondering because I exhaust into another room of the house and will stop doing so if the fumes can survive a carbon filter.

Hello all,

Yes, it will, but as to how much is relative. If large enough it will remove nearly 100%

minds_I

B

Blue Dot

Hello all,

Yes, it will, but as to how much is relative. If large enough it will remove nearly 100%

minds_I

How are you so sure of this?

Sure, carbon removes odors but dichlovous is more then just an odor.

How do you know that the carbon isn't just removing the aromatic portion of dichlorvous and not passing thru the active component?

Are people still using these? Is it okay if your pet sleeps on the same level of the house as the "NPS"? I dont have spider mites just gnats and some flys so would It work if I just hung them for a couple days?? any more info would be great or how other people are using them.

freaking Lowes and the other big box stores don't even carry sticky fly traps or anything but these No Pest Strips.

xOOx

this topic comes up every once n' a while..

i think i may have even posted this link once before...

http://www.springerlink.com/content/w67k7l26644608v7/

it's a study with dichlorvos, obviously you don't want to sit there with the strip hanging over your head if you can avoid it. dichlorvos is most dangerous to people/insects/etc when it reaches certain kill level in your system..as you can see with ventilation on, it can't even kill a mite. but when it's allowed to build up...they are dead.

if you read the above link you will realize that they use this chemical to control bugs on the food you eat.. and it has a half life of about 2 days or so...i'd say 2 weeks before harvest, take the strips out.

used with a brain, it's ok,

smoking the hot shot pest strip ... not so good.

xoox

Budley Doright

Veteran
Ill go farther than that...

The thread is total baloney....

Threadstarter is concerned about washing a residue from plants....

Yet his own link says this...

<<Dichlorvos does not appear to accumulate in plants, fish, or animals.>>

There was a time that this chemical could be purchased in liquid form.... probably more dangerous...

The no pest strips are a slow release method of use....

I would agree with my friend XooX....

As long as you dont smoke the yellow strip this ia a very useful method for certain bugs.....

<<It evaporates easily into the air, where it is broken down into less harmful chemicals. >>

This chemical doesnt form a film on plants it evaporates into the air.....

Just like transporation that plants do normally...

Total baloney.....

Mr.Hades

^^Hmm, you a little up-tight there buddy? Chill it...

I wasnt only concerned with "the residue" if you actually read my posts.

I was also concerned with people using them in the same household as family members, children and pets. Its obviously not supposed to be inhaled, even in small concentrations throughout a long or short period of time. I have heard of plenty of different cases the last few years where the strips were being used incorrectly and without caution. Ive heard of growers using these in their closet grows and stealth grows in the same room they sleep. And not only 1, but sometimes 2 or 3. There are plenty of reasons to "use caution" when it comes to these strips. I use them myself, but safely. Thats what this thread is about... to teach people how to use these things safely and correctly so that they can be used in an efficient manner.

So maybe you should chill it, like I said. haha

Budley Doright

Veteran
Growers should use caution when dealing with NPS because of its toxicity to humans and animals. You should NOT use "No-Pest Strips" and other products containing Dichlorvos on flowering plants. Dichlorvos (The active chemical in No-Pest Strips) is a carcinogen and if used on your plants, it should only be used in the vegetation cycle and plants rinsed thouroughly before flowering so you dont have a chance of leaving chemical residue on your harvest. The active chemical (Dichlorvos) can be rinsed off and breaks-down in water but is dangerous insecticide and should NOT be used in living areas. (People growing in their homes with children, pets etc.)

Thats great but the vast majority of your post was made from either not reading or not understanding what you read....

Im sorry you got a little pissy about the response but IMO the drying process will get rid of all traces of the chemical without any effort by the grower.....

So maybe you should be more careful on the 'facts' you are throwing about.....

Budley Doright

Veteran
Dichlorvos exposure and human cancer risk: results from the Agricultural Health Study.Koutros S, Mahajan R, Zheng T, Hoppin JA, Ma X, Lynch CF, Blair A, Alavanja MC.
Occupational and Environmental Epidemiology Branch, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, 6120 Executive Blvd., Rockville, MD 20852, USA. koutross@mail.nih.gov

OBJECTIVES: We evaluated cancer risk from DDVP (2,2-Dichloroethenyl dimethylphosphate) exposure among pesticide applicators enrolled in the Agricultural Health Study (AHS) cohort. METHODS: The AHS is a cohort of 57,311 pesticide applicators in North Carolina and Iowa, enrolled from 1993 to 1997 and followed for cancer through 2004. A comprehensive questionnaire collected information on exposure to DDVP and potential confounders. Among the 49,762 licensed pesticide applicators eligible for analysis, 4,613 reported use of DDVP. DDVP exposure was classified as intensity-weighted cumulative exposure days (IWED), calculated as [years of use x days per year x intensity level]. Poisson regression analysis was used to calculate rate ratios (RR) and 95% confidence intervals (CI) to evaluate the association of DDVP exposure among 2,943 incident cases of cancer. RESULTS: DDVP exposure was not associated with any cancer studied here. We observed no elevation in risk among lymphohematopoietic cancers, RR = 1.00 (95% CI 0.51, 1.96) and a small excess risk associated with exposure among those with a family history of prostate cancer (RR = 1.18 (95% CI 0.73, 1.82). CONCLUSION: We find little evidence of an association between cumulative lifetime use of DDVP and risk of any cancer at this stage of follow up of the AHS.

PMID: 17943454 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Related articles
Fonofos exposure and cancer incidence in the agricultural health study. Environ Health Perspect. 2006 Dec; 114(12):1838-42.
[Environ Health Perspect. 2006]
Cancer incidence among pesticide applicators exposed to atrazine in the Agricultural Health Study. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2004 Sep 15; 96(18):1375-82.
[J Natl Cancer Inst. 2004]
Cancer incidence among male pesticide applicators in the Agricultural Health Study cohort exposed to diazinon. Am J Epidemiol. 2005 Dec 1; 162(11):1070-9. Epub 2005 Oct 19.
[Am J Epidemiol. 2005]
ReviewCancer among pesticide manufacturers and applicators. Scand J Work Environ Health. 2005; 31 Suppl 1:9-17; discussion 5-7.
[Scand J Work Environ Health. 2005]
Review[Cancers and pesticides] Rev Prat. 2007 Jun 15; 57(11 Suppl):40-4.
[Rev Prat. 2007]
» See reviews... | » See all...

Here is some info on this chemical as a carcinogin....

This chemical was proven to be a carcinogen in mice and rats when they were fed large amounts for up to 2 years....

However there have been no studies that show rats or mice will develop cancer thru inhalation....

The abstract above indicates its pretty safe.....

CONCLUSION: We find little evidence of an association between cumulative lifetime use of DDVP and risk of any cancer at this stage of follow up of the AHS.

SDOG

Dichlorvos exposure and human cancer risk: results from the Agricultural Health Study.Koutros S, Mahajan R, Zheng T, Hoppin JA, Ma X, Lynch CF, Blair A, Alavanja MC.
Occupational and Environmental Epidemiology Branch, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, 6120 Executive Blvd., Rockville, MD 20852, USA. koutross@mail.nih.gov

OBJECTIVES: We evaluated cancer risk from DDVP (2,2-Dichloroethenyl dimethylphosphate) exposure among pesticide applicators enrolled in the Agricultural Health Study (AHS) cohort. METHODS: The AHS is a cohort of 57,311 pesticide applicators in North Carolina and Iowa, enrolled from 1993 to 1997 and followed for cancer through 2004. A comprehensive questionnaire collected information on exposure to DDVP and potential confounders. Among the 49,762 licensed pesticide applicators eligible for analysis, 4,613 reported use of DDVP. DDVP exposure was classified as intensity-weighted cumulative exposure days (IWED), calculated as [years of use x days per year x intensity level]. Poisson regression analysis was used to calculate rate ratios (RR) and 95% confidence intervals (CI) to evaluate the association of DDVP exposure among 2,943 incident cases of cancer. RESULTS: DDVP exposure was not associated with any cancer studied here. We observed no elevation in risk among lymphohematopoietic cancers, RR = 1.00 (95% CI 0.51, 1.96) and a small excess risk associated with exposure among those with a family history of prostate cancer (RR = 1.18 (95% CI 0.73, 1.82). CONCLUSION: We find little evidence of an association between cumulative lifetime use of DDVP and risk of any cancer at this stage of follow up of the AHS.

PMID: 17943454 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Related articles
Fonofos exposure and cancer incidence in the agricultural health study. Environ Health Perspect. 2006 Dec; 114(12):1838-42.
[Environ Health Perspect. 2006]
Cancer incidence among pesticide applicators exposed to atrazine in the Agricultural Health Study. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2004 Sep 15; 96(18):1375-82.
[J Natl Cancer Inst. 2004]
Cancer incidence among male pesticide applicators in the Agricultural Health Study cohort exposed to diazinon. Am J Epidemiol. 2005 Dec 1; 162(11):1070-9. Epub 2005 Oct 19.
[Am J Epidemiol. 2005]
ReviewCancer among pesticide manufacturers and applicators. Scand J Work Environ Health. 2005; 31 Suppl 1:9-17; discussion 5-7.
[Scand J Work Environ Health. 2005]
Review[Cancers and pesticides] Rev Prat. 2007 Jun 15; 57(11 Suppl):40-4.
[Rev Prat. 2007]
» See reviews... | » See all...

Here is some info on this chemical as a carcinogin....

The abstract above indicates its pretty safe.....

CONCLUSION: We find little evidence of an association between cumulative lifetime use of DDVP and risk of any cancer at this stage of follow up of the AHS.

This stuff is not safe at all look at all those cases of cancer.

Budley Doright

Veteran
This stuff is not safe at all look at all those cases of cancer.

OBJECTIVES: We evaluated cancer risk from DDVP (2,2-Dichloroethenyl dimethylphosphate) exposure among pesticide applicators enrolled in the Agricultural Health Study (AHS) cohort.

These people would also be using the liquid version of this chemical....not the sissy form in no pest strips.....

Mr.Hades

Growers should use caution when dealing with NPS because of its toxicity to humans and animals. You should NOT use "No-Pest Strips" and other products containing Dichlorvos on flowering plants. Dichlorvos (The active chemical in No-Pest Strips) is a carcinogen and if used on your plants, it should only be used in the vegetation cycle and plants rinsed thouroughly before flowering so you dont have a chance of leaving chemical residue on your harvest. The active chemical (Dichlorvos) can be rinsed off and breaks-down in water but is dangerous insecticide and should NOT be used in living areas. (People growing in their homes with children, pets etc.)

Thats great but the vast majority of your post was made from either not reading or not understanding what you read....

Im sorry you got a little pissy about the response but IMO the drying process will get rid of all traces of the chemical without any effort by the grower.....

So maybe you should be more careful on the 'facts' you are throwing about.....

Read the rest of my posts in the thread, and others posts aswell. Thats why its a "thread" There are mulitple posts with information. You obviously didnt read the whole thread. This thread is full of information on how to use these things correctly. Why are you even posting if you dont have any relevent information? Are you just trying to argue? Maybe you should find someting else to do. :)

Budley Doright

Veteran
Read the rest of my posts in the thread, and others posts aswell. Thats why its a "thread" There are mulitple posts with information. You obviously didnt read the whole thread. This thread is full of information on how to use these things correctly. Why are you even posting if you dont have any relevent information? Are you just trying to argue? Maybe you should find someting else to do. :)

Im not arguing Im just able to read and comprehend what Im reading and YOU arent....

Your first post was clueless...

as was your last......

Its funny to say I dont have relevent info...

I posted from your links and posted a long term NIH study that proved my point....

So when you can post relevent info by someone who might have a clue...please post it....

<<"You might also be exposed to dichlorvos in home after pesticide application.>>

YOu might also be aware my clueless friend they arent talking about no pest strips....

People(clueless) like you should post about watering too much.....

not science.....

Are you saying I should read all of your dumb posts?????

Budley Doright

Veteran
Regulatory Status: The EPA has classified it as toxicity class I - highly toxic, because it may cause cancer and there is only a small margin of safety for other effects. Products containing dichlorvos must bear the Signal Words DANGER - POISON. Dichlorvos is a Restricted Use Pesticide (RUP) and may be purchased and used only by certified applicators.

Certified applicators.... again.... this applies to the liquid variety.... not no pest strips.....

Lots of really crappy info all over this thread.....

Budley Doright

Veteran
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN AND PETS.​
Harmless when used according to label directions. To avoid misuse, observe the
following precautions. Wash hands after handling. Do not use in areas where the chronically ill may be exposed or in occupied spaces of less
than 25 cubic metres. Certain tropical fish and caged birds may be harmed by continuous exposure to vapour. Do not use in areas where

beekeeping equipment and/or supplies are stored. Follow good sanitary practice by regular collection and disposal of dead insects.

Budley Doright

Veteran
The label is very simple....

Do not use in areas that will be occupied for more than 4 hours per day....

Sounds like my grow room.....

Its probably not a good idea to eat raw weed either the buds or leaves without drying them first.....

Latest posts

Latest posts