What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Doing an Experiment, anyone want to try and stop me ?

jidoka

I would love to stop you. But who am I and why would anyone in their right mind listen to me? A better question would be will you show us the results. I expect absolute didaster but respect your right to fuck up totally.

So no...I don't wanna tell you shit is what I am trying to say

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Okay, we've got a doubter here lol, I will definitely post the results. In fact this thread will be the first place I run to crying when the problems creep up, so everyone can tell me I told you so ;P

mushroombrew

Veteran
So half organics (which is everything from compost to peat moss, to amendments to manure) and the other half Aerators like (perlite, pumice,lavarocks etc) ?

Yes that's how I do it. Maybe you have a heavy feeding indica. In that case up the organics 10%. Over time you will see how much they use. But I think they can survive on much less. I consider your composts to be very well seasoned and valuable.
I use top shelf materials in moderation. They just work that well.

I like oyster shell but sound like you have lots of carbonate in your water?

What about pH. Can you get your water to 6.5-6.8? Cannabis likes it.
Your water may be 7.8 if it has lots of calcium?

I cant use my well water straight. It's 200ppm mostly CO3. And 7.9
So I ph it. 10cc phD (phosphoric) in 5 gallons
And the plants love the CO3 !!

mushroombrew

Veteran
I don't think "doubter" covers it. I he is outright disgusted!! LOL!

I disagree. It does look a mess but it's not the worst I have seen.

My neighbor put at least 50lbs of chicken shit in his mix! Indoors!! ahahahah!!
Plants fried and it reeked so bad you would gag in the driveway!! Lucky it was on acreage!

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Yes that's how I do it. Maybe you have a heavy feeding indica. In that case up the organics 10%. Over time you will see how much they use. But I think they can survive on much less. I consider your composts to be very well seasoned and valuable.
I use top shelf materials in moderation. They just work that well.

I like oyster shell but sound like you have lots of carbonate in your water?

What about pH. Can you get your water to 6.5-6.8? Cannabis likes it.
Your water may be 7.8 if it has lots of calcium?

I cant use my well water straight. It's 200ppm mostly CO3. And 7.9
So I ph it. 10cc phD (phosphoric) in 5 gallons
And the plants love the CO3 !!

Wow thats mine! 200 PPM, and I think 140ppm is CO3, I read that in a water report somewhere. Thats why I don't think I will have any calcium issues. My PH is 7.4 out of the tap. After I add molasses and Liquid Karma it might go down to 7. I have phosphoric ph down as well.

mushroombrew

Veteran
Yeah get it to 6.5 with phosphoric. The plants go nuts with the Ca. Then maybe an epsom solution for Magnesium here and there.

I even run well water in Hydro. It works if you understand chemistry. RO would strip all the CO3. Why would I do that?!

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
I would like to add that I was originally working on a super soil mix with these ingredients, so I do know what a completely amended mix should look like that is "ultimate".
But Im buying in bulk so I would have massive stockpiles and it would cost $500 in total easily.

The more I was learning about organics the more I realized that everything has some NPK, and breaks down in compost and becomes usable. So I thought ok i get all the hype for these natural amendments I'm sure theres cool beneficials in kelp meal or insect frass or alfalfa meal. But as far as npks go and microbial life, it should all be there sufficiently in a mix of compost, earth worm castings (I've got a bin but its not ready for this upcoming mix), and manure like it has for hundreds of years). I grew up on a small farm, so Im not a city boy, thats why Im thinking a little differently about this. Anyways thats why I'm going basic. Just curious to try it this way before going the amendment route.

Base

- [x] Pro Mix HP (recycled)
- [ ] Perlite
- [x] Vermiculite
- [x] Earth Worm Castings

Amendments

Nitrogen
- [ ] Bat Guano(N)
- [ ] Blood Meal
- [ ] Neem Meal
- [ ] Fish Meal
- [ ] Alfalfa Meal
- [ ] Feather Meal

Phosphorous
- [ ] Bat Guano(P)
- [ ] Bone Meal
- [ ] Rock Phosphate

Potassium
- [ ] Kelp Meal
- [ ] Greensand

Other
- [ ] Oyster Shell
- [ ] Insect Frass
- [ ] Glacial Rock Dust
- [ ] Azomite
- [x] Dolomite Lime
- [ ] Mycorrhizae
- [ ] Humid Acid
- [ ] Epsom Salt

mushroombrew

Veteran
I used a supersoil mix for a lonfg time. Would dampen it and let is season for 2 months before using it. 20+ ingredients. Great stuff

Really great mix but very "heavy" like yours.

Did they stop making green sand? I seem to rememder something about that.

Then I tried Sunshine #4. Plants took off way faster. Watering frequency went up though.

So my be all end all soil mix is Sunshine #4 with Marine Cuisine. Couple tbsp in the few inches of soil in bottom of container. Then 1 tbsp per gallon of soil.
The plant pic I posted was 8oz in 10G of that mix. With water only the entire cycle!

I have stayed "light" on organics since 2000. They just work better. In my experience.

mushroombrew

Veteran
This is the plant I potted up 21 days into flower.

Was talking about foliar feeding in another thread. See she is a tad nitrogen deficient?

But She is a tester in just 1G of soil. Another user said he pots up during flower. So I tried. I didn't think it would work. But why not try? So this is in Sunshine #4 now 2 Gallons.
Surprisingly no transplant shock.
Anyway I am a guy who uses his own advice. And I am not afraid of trying something different in the hopes of learning more...

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
I used a supersoil mix for a lonfg time. Would dampen it and let is season for 2 months before using it. 20+ ingredients. Great stuff

Really great mix but very "heavy" like yours.

Did they stop making green sand? I seem to rememder something about that.

Then I tried Sunshine #4. Plants took off way faster. Watering frequency went up though.

So my be all end all soil mix is Sunshine #4 with Marine Cuisine. Couple tbsp in the few inches of soil in bottom of container. Then 1 tbsp per gallon of soil.
The plant pic I posted was 8oz in 10G of that mix. With water only the entire cycle!

I have stayed "light" on organics since 2000. They just work better. In my experience.

Yes, I think the guy I talked to from Gaia Green said the Canadian mine had dried up and he's looking for another source.

jidoka

Doubter...yea little bit.

Would love to be surprised...100%. Motherfuckers ought not assume for me

Edit...100 lbs of chickenshit per yard of soil is normal for me

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
I just added 3 parts expanded clay pellets and 2 parts Vermiculite. I would now say my mix is super light with 50% being airators. This is lighter than pro mix HP (30% perlite) so I think I should be getting just as fast if not faster growth rates compared to Soil less, along with all the benefits of organic living soils.

Updated Recipe for this experiment.

3 Parts Pro Mix HP (recycled)
3 Parts Expanded Clay Pellets
2 Parts Vermiculite
2 Parts Compost (2 years old from a tonne of variety of kitchen scraps)
2 Parts Walnut Shells ( Split in halves, a few years old,for aeration)
1 Part Horse Manure (Aged 10 Years)
1 Part Guinneapig Droppings/Bedding
1/4 Part Charcoal (little bits left over from the firepit ashes)
mycorrhizal inoculant at time of transplanting into mix.

mushroombrew

Veteran
I think that should work well. Definitely some great nutrients in there. At 6.5 they should do very well. Good luck. Keep us updated.

Drewsif

By the way farmers plough their fields to add air and break up soil. After every harvest in most cases.
So yes air is introduced into fields. But not with perlite you smart arse.

The main difference is that fields don't have a plastic dome immediately surrounding the roots. Fabric pots + dirt heavy mix = WINNING

perlite is gay, that shit is still in my yard, floating around from a long time ago. The brewers supply will have rice or buckwheat hulls. Good for aeration and it doesn't float ;)

G

Gr33nSanta

can you still call horse manure horse manure 10 years later? Must have been out of the rain, and a big pile! because horse manure vanishes around here...

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
I had rice hulls on my list for future aeration ;) If i don't want fabric pots should I drill holes into my pots ? Im sure theres an in depth thread about this somewhere but I just thought of it so figured Id ask..

mushroombrew

Veteran
The main difference is that fields don't have a plastic dome immediately surrounding the roots. Fabric pots + dirt heavy mix = WINNING

perlite is gay, that shit is still in my yard, floating around from a long time ago. The brewers supply will have rice or buckwheat hulls. Good for aeration and it doesn't float ;)

Why anyone is talking about fields is beyond me.

Yeah i like hulls and fabric pots=oxygen.