What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mycorrhizae and fungi products comparision

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
MJ...does fully composed bark count as "deadwood"?

If so, I would not be too hasty to discount the benefits of including bark as a growing medium ingredient (you help prove my point--thanks!). Many of the root cubes/plugs sold for cuttings (the dark colored ones) contain bark material. While weeding in my backyard, I noticed many of the roots were firmly attached to hunks of bark, unlike anything else. A few years ago I did a comparison of all available mediums and combinations thereof (about 25 in total) with objective to identify the fastest rooting medium; "orchid rooting bark" won hands down (just could not figure how to transplant a baby rooting clone growing in loose bark without fucking up the roots).

I paid just under $10 for a bag (2 cu ft) of small orchid bark today and is around 18% of my peat-based growing mix. I use both endo/ecto mychs for two reasons: product availability and cost.

BTW, I recall reading how ectomycorrhizal fungi has shown to control/combat certain plant pathogens and root rot issues.

Last edited:
The link did not work for me. I am aware of nutrient transfer exchange with endomycorrhizal but have not read any related literature concerning ectomycorrhizal fungi.
The google search term is "PDF(234K) - Wiley Online Library", the research paper's title is "Rapid nitrogen transfer from ectomycorrhizal pines to adjacent ectomycorrhizal and arbuscular mycorrhizal plants in a California oak woodland".

MJ...does fully composed bark count as "deadwood"?
That's why I mentioned studies surrounding living vs. dead. Again I'm trying to stress an intent not to steer into a mulch and compost hijack, but if one seeks the Hartig net one could try truffle, pine, oak, willow, douglas fir, eucalypts, beech or birch. I would stay away from the Death caps and Destroying angel in any attempt to build EcM.

In the spirit of context and elegant dialogue, ectomycorrhizal fungi do not penetrate their host’s cell walls. With respect to what I have mentioned earlier the bulk of discussion regards arbuscular mycorrhiza. I feel it wise to separate the two in the process of building a soil, compartmentalizing either in favor of their cellular function is logical: endo/annual - ecto/woody.

ttaylor

Quick question: Does chlorinated water kill Myco or thrichoderma?

yes

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
fungi.com - sold in 1oz or 1lb bags

Mycogrow For Veggies (1oz - 4.95, 1lb 59.95)
Endo 220 prop/gr

---------------------------

Endo/Ecto blend (1oz - 4.95, 1lb 59.95)

Endo 220 prop/gr
Ecto 242291 prop/gr

---------------------------

Mycogrow Soluble (1oz - 5.95, 1lb 79.95)

Endo 66 prop/gm

Ecto 2422907 prop/gr

Bacteria 820,000 cfu/gm per strain, 11 total

Disease Suppression Organisms 340,000 cfu/gm

Last edited:

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Too many words or you don't like the product re:prop/price ratio?

Just more information for comparison really. I collect almost useless numbers by the bucketload.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Too many words or you don't like the product re:prop/price ratio?

Just more information for comparison really. I collect almost useless numbers by the bucketload.

I guess mostly that it contains so many other spores not really applicable to mycorrhizal fungi, which is just one of my idiosyncracies. This is especially true as applied to cannabis, which so far as I know is mycorrhizal with endomycorrhizal fungi species and no ectomycorrhizal species.

Although the many species of bacteria and fungi included may be of great benefit (and believe me, some are) is there any supportive evidence that they are of benefit in this particular consortium? (cocktail)

On the other hand do some actually wind up cancelling out the benefits of the other due to trophic activity, timing, ratio or environment?

There seems to be a trend towards more is better in the rush to one up the other marketplace companies.

Some of us wish we had kept our mouths shut:):)

Hey Burn1 if you are lurking, Hi; I hope you are having fun!

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If he's lurking, it's under a different handle or as a guest. Checked his status a few times hehe.

No worries, I agree with everything you're saying/questioning. Posting that information is a type of endorsement.

Although they do sell some non-mushroom grow gear at hilarious prices, it's not really a cannabis-centric company. Your average gardener isn't going to subdivide inoculants (if they use them at all). Or at least, that is how I would explain the "kitchen sink" approach of MycoGrow Soluble. There's also an endo only (I assume for our purpose) and endo/ecto (general lawn/garden).

I have zero information on how each microbe would interact, but I follow the hypothesis that the Trichoderma species would dominate.

Hell, I use Zho and don't even recommend it. And knowing the grow store and it's clientele, it's probably wildly past the expiry date. I bought it on a whim to avoid the urge to spend much more money sourcing the "perfect" brace of inoculants. I put it right next to a bottle of GH pH-, like putting needles in an organic voodoo doll :D

jimmycrackcorn

There are also studies indicating it might take a long time for endomycorrhizal to effectively colonize roots...

Keep this thread going!
Any new research updates on how long it takes for endomycorrhizal fungi to colonize my roots? Having trouble finding any research. 6 weeks?!

Goats

mycogrow from fungi.com

Contains concentrated spore mass of the following:

Endomycorrhizal fungi

Glomus intraradices, Glomus mosseae, Glomus aggregatum, Glomus monosporum, Glomus clarum, Glomus deserticola, Gigaspora margarita, Gigaspora etunicatum, Paraglomus brasilianum

Ectomycorrhizal fungi

Laccaria bicolor, Laccaria laccata, Pisolithus tinctorius, Rhizopogon villosullus, Rhizopogon luteolus, Rhizopogon amylopogon, Rhizopogon fulvigleba, Scleroderma cepa, Scleroderma citrinum, Suillus granulatus

Biological Disease Control Organisms

Trichoderma harzianum, Trichoderma konigii

Beneficial Bacteria

Azotobacter chroococcum, Bacillus azotoformans, Bacillus coagulans, Bacillus licheniformis, Bacillus megaterium, Bacillus pumilis, Bacillus thuringiensis, Paenibacillus durum, Paenibacillus polymyxa, Pseudomonas aureofaceans, Pseudomonas fluorescense

Specially Formulated Amendments

Kelp, Humic Acid, Vitamins

In hindsight, ecto seems to desire living trees not deadwood or decomposing bark. Might explain its aggression. So unless you are companion planting with trees wherein the ecto can benefit and contribute to cannabis' uptake, I don't believe deadwood is going to keep the ectomycorrhizas content.

Progress in Botany : Genetics Cell Biology and Physiology Systematics and Comparative Morphology Ecology and Vegetation Science - K Esser; J W Kadereit; U Lüttge; M Runge pg. 476

Last edited:

jtuck2

Both of these products listed in this forum sound great. Is it too much to get both of them?

BioAg VAM and Dr. Earth Metabolic Transformer.

If it's best to get only one, which is better for a veggie garden?

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I suggest you actually read the thread to see that there are other products and learn the reason for using them.