What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

best way to smoke small amounts?

intotheunknown

Veteran
heres how i take knife hits...

take two all steel butter knives which you could do without. we all have them.

now if you have the old school coil type burners on your stove, set it on high and wedge your two knives in between the coils. or i suppose you could use a butane torch.

now take a 20 oz bottle and cut the bottom out this is so youre able to do this by yourself, otherwise you need a partner.

get the knives good and hot, (one in each hand) now take your tiny nug and carefully drop it on the flat surface of one hot knife. now take the other hot knife and smash the nug in between them and wobble it back and forth. at the same time with the bottle in your teeth, pretty close to the knives and inhale the smoke. try it out... it takes some technique but it works really well. and its really cool that this was mentioned. i dont know many people at all that know how to do this. or have even heard of it.

2Lazy

I use a sneak a toke. Comes in a nifty little wood box, twist the top and a little "cigarette" pops out. In a carved out chamber next to it is a place to put ground up weed. Just take the tip of the piece and press it in to fill the tip. It's like two hits or so and does wonders.

Gotta get the brass though, no aluminum.

M

m00nchild

Based on everything you just said, if I were you, I would just use a regular old tobacco pipe then. Besides, there's nothing wrong or "distasteful" about smoking through wood.

Che

Veteran
Alcohol based tincture?

You can control the dosage with an eyedropper. A drop or two held under the tongue for a moment, it's absorbed into the blood stream and gives instant relief. I'm not sure how long lasting it is but I suspect that with a small enough dose the effect can be moderated.

Another advantage to this is it can be easily concealed in colored glass containers.

T

tokinafaty420

You are looking for something like a bat pipe. It is small, concealable and typically holds enough for a single hit.

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
Tried the bong yesterday and realized its not for me - its hits fast and hard but lasts only 20 minutes or so with the small amounts I need.
If I smoke more i'm not functioning.

heres how i take knife hits...

take two all steel butter knives which you could do without. we all have them.

now if you have the old school coil type burners on your stove, set it on high and wedge your two knives in between the coils. or i suppose you could use a butane torch.

now take a 20 oz bottle and cut the bottom out this is so youre able to do this by yourself, otherwise you need a partner.

get the knives good and hot, (one in each hand) now take your tiny nug and carefully drop it on the flat surface of one hot knife. now take the other hot knife and smash the nug in between them and wobble it back and forth. at the same time with the bottle in your teeth, pretty close to the knives and inhale the smoke. try it out... it takes some technique but it works really well. and its really cool that this was mentioned. i dont know many people at all that know how to do this. or have even heard of it.
Sounds complicated but I'll try it out next time I'll need a smoke.

Based on everything you just said, if I were you, I would just use a regular old tobacco pipe then. Besides, there's nothing wrong or "distasteful" about smoking through wood.
I should try that, I'm visiting a friend in a few days who sells pipes and stuff for tobacco and have one.

Alcohol based tincture?

You can control the dosage with an eyedropper. A drop or two held under the tongue for a moment, it's absorbed into the blood stream and gives instant relief. I'm not sure how long lasting it is but I suspect that with a small enough dose the effect can be moderated.

Another advantage to this is it can be easily concealed in colored glass containers.
By my experience with oral consumption it last way too long for me. Up to 7 hours.
The problem is that small dose doesn't do the effect I'm looking for.
Plus, oral consumption is way clearer and I'm usually looking for the dizziness.
Thanks for helping :D

You are looking for something like a bat pipe. It is small, concealable and typically holds enough for a single hit.
I'll give pipes a chance in a few days when I get to a friend of mine who mess with them.

Danks2005

A pipe or a one hitter would be good, but if your out and about with it, now you got paraphinalia.

I personally think bongs burn up alot of herb.

When I was young and broke, we used to do knife hits to conserve, but you can't take that with you.

I personally would and do roll bigger joints than I need so I don't feel like I am just smoking paper, then light it up smoke what i need, put it in the ash tray, it will go out on its own, then when i need more i just grab it and repeat. Just need to remember you have it so if you get pulled over grab it from the ash tray and eat it. I do the same at home, but it's real nice when you are out and about, i leave the bag at home and have no paraphenalia on me.

P.S. I think gravity bongs are way to harsh, takes all the pleasure out of smoking, nothing beats a nice joint.

TommytheCat

Tinctures and edibles are supposed to be great for chronic pain. I'm making a tincture now, I've only tried edibles so far and they work great. But usually eating weed is more intense and can knock one out in the middle of the day.

+1

I know you were asking about the best way to medicate by smoking small amounts, but edibles and tinctures are really the way to go. You get the most out of your small amount this way (in my opinion).

If you want to smoke it, I suggest gravity bong, bong (which you said you didn't really like), or knife hit.

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
A pipe or a one hitter would be good, but if your out and about with it, now you got paraphinalia.

I personally think bongs burn up alot of herb.

When I was young and broke, we used to do knife hits to conserve, but you can't take that with you.

I personally would and do roll bigger joints than I need so I don't feel like I am just smoking paper, then light it up smoke what i need, put it in the ash tray, it will go out on its own, then when i need more i just grab it and repeat. Just need to remember you have it so if you get pulled over grab it from the ash tray and eat it. I do the same at home, but it's real nice when you are out and about, i leave the bag at home and have no paraphenalia on me.

P.S. I think gravity bongs are way to harsh, takes all the pleasure out of smoking, nothing beats a nice joint.
I smoke once a week or less usually (lately a bit more due to back pains which troubles my sleeping greatly which results in more back pains) so saving half a joint for a week just reeks the whole apartment like crazy.
I should buy one of those rolled cigarette tubes that keeps them from breaking or something and use that.
I usually just throw away the last part of the joint as its not enough to worth keeping and not needed at the moment. But making a joint for 2 runs is an option I would consider ;)

I have no problem getting more weed, its not that I'm saving on weed - I want certain effects but stay functioning. I'm (usually) not looking for the euphoric part that comes when smoking larger amounts.

+1

I know you were asking about the best way to medicate by smoking small amounts, but edibles and tinctures are really the way to go. You get the most out of your small amount this way (in my opinion).

If you want to smoke it, I suggest gravity bong, bong (which you said you didn't really like), or knife hit.
Does tincultures work the same as edibles? (effect-wise)

igrowone

Veteran
I have no problem getting more weed, its not that I'm saving on weed - I want certain effects but stay functioning. I'm (usually) not looking for the euphoric part that comes when smoking larger amounts.

completely avoiding euphoric effects may be problematic

1 way is regular smoking of a given strain, you become tolerant to the heady part, the medical effects persist though

the other is to get less heady strains, not sure if this is an option for you
get the well matured, strong indica - just consumed in very small amounts
these are what are recommended for pain relief(some kinds of pain that is)

Danks2005

HaHa, I smoke several joints a day. My suggestion would not be a good option for you. I also don't think you use enough to enjoy edible or tincture without overmedicating yourself, so if you go this route proceed with caution and start very small. I think your best bet is a small one hitter, I assume if you smoke so little, you probably aren't driving around with it, so paraphanalia isn't really a big deal.

cannaboy

i find that a 3 1nch traditional pipe is the BEST TASTIEST way to smoke, just fill the cap and hit it ,, this may take a few goes but is worthwhile... 100% pure dope,,

Drysift is the best product that i've seen smoke on these pipes it stays lit till you clear the bowl good IMHO!

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
completely avoiding euphoric effects may be problematic

1 way is regular smoking of a given strain, you become tolerant to the heady part, the medical effects persist though

the other is to get less heady strains, not sure if this is an option for you
get the well matured, strong indica - just consumed in very small amounts
these are what are recommended for pain relief(some kinds of pain that is)
Not completely but that isn't my goal.
As I grow my weed I can pretty much grow anything.
I don't smoke enough to become tolerant to any weed :X

I use well matured indicas right now but I rather smoke the least strong so I could smoke more to make a joint easier to roll and all that.

HaHa, I smoke several joints a day. My suggestion would not be a good option for you. I also don't think you use enough to enjoy edible or tincture without overmedicating yourself, so if you go this route proceed with caution and start very small. I think your best bet is a small one hitter, I assume if you smoke so little, you probably aren't driving around with it, so paraphanalia isn't really a big deal.
I don't drive around with weed, I smoke around the hood. I got some edibles measured to my needs but as said before - the effect lasts too long for me.

My problem with paraphernalia is getting it, not moving around with it.

Thanks for stopping by :)

i find that a 3 1nch traditional pipe is the BEST TASTIEST way to smoke, just fill the cap and hit it ,, this may take a few goes but is worthwhile... 100% pure dope,,

Drysift is the best product that i've seen smoke on these pipes it stays lit till you clear the bowl good IMHO!
I'll give the pipes a go soon :D
I got some gumby hash and some finger hash I made -really good stuff. Randomly I pluck a bit on top of a cigar and burn it in one puff.
I should get some Butane Oil soon so thats another thing to try on the pipe.

Danks2005

I don't like pipes, no matter how tastey the weed is, after the first two tokes of the bowl the remainder tastes like shit. A joint tastes like fresh greens all the way down. I use the small 1.0 jobs, and if you need to don't hesitate to cut the paper down to fit the amount of weed you are rollin. I used to cut my paper down, and roll the same amount I would put in a small bowl, tastes much better IMO. Nowadays I roll hogs legs lol.

Harinama

pipes: yuck
bongs: yuck

vapes through bong: heaven!

So, you can save a ton of weed by vaping small amounts, at relatively low temps (ie. 350-360). Just be sure to save ALL of your vape remnants, do a 1min wash with 99% iso, evap and now you have VERY powerful oil with tons of cbd's for pain relief.

By this method, you smoke ZERO stuff you dont want(leaves, chlorphyll), and recycle the residue to make awesome oil.

igrowone

Veteran
kind of interesting problem, as Harinama just pointed out, vaping is the best way to get a small measured dose with minimum lung irritation
but you seem to be familiar with vaping, so for some reason that is not the ideal choice
so maybe what you are looking for is a gentle on the lung smoking mixture that isn't too MJ strong
there are a number of herbal smoking mixes out there, not sure of brand names
but i do recall that colts foot was well known for being a gentle smoke
mix in with the just right amount of MJ, and you may get the smoking mix that you want

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
pipes: yuck
bongs: yuck

vapes through bong: heaven!

So, you can save a ton of weed by vaping small amounts, at relatively low temps (ie. 350-360). Just be sure to save ALL of your vape remnants, do a 1min wash with 99% iso, evap and now you have VERY powerful oil with tons of cbd's for pain relief.

By this method, you smoke ZERO stuff you dont want(leaves, chlorphyll), and recycle the residue to make awesome oil.
I don't like the idea of filtering through a bong. I believe the cooling down make you lose valuable THC that becomes liquid by that cooling. Plus, I have no problem with inhaling from a vap.
The main issue I have with them is the price (minimum 350USD for the ones that are sold around here) and that I can't really take it outside.
I thought about that vap thing. If I get a glass jar, fill it with a bit of mj and put it in the microwave for a minute or two on high - the vapor should build up and be usable?

kind of interesting problem, as Harinama just pointed out, vaping is the best way to get a small measured dose with minimum lung irritation
but you seem to be familiar with vaping, so for some reason that is not the ideal choice
so maybe what you are looking for is a gentle on the lung smoking mixture that isn't too MJ strong
there are a number of herbal smoking mixes out there, not sure of brand names
but i do recall that colts foot was well known for being a gentle smoke
mix in with the just right amount of MJ, and you may get the smoking mix that you want
Haven't found any of that around here.
I'll look it up but how "safe" are those mixes? They always seemed suspicious to me :S

i just use a Sears Heavy-Duty Heat Gun $120

a Gilligan produced coated copper pipe double brass-microscreened 2-piece nozzle

and a turkey roasting bag

and some of the Santa Cruz Mountain's finest

no need for the toxins

igrowone

Veteran
I'll look it up but how "safe" are those mixes? They always seemed suspicious to me

some definitely are best avoided, those toted as 'legal MJ' have quite a devil's brew of herbs
but the plant colts foot has a long history, used since Greek times for lung troubles
they would put the leaves on hot coals and inhale through a straw of some sort
i don't know too much about the others, some are toted as safer tobacco substitutes

Harinama

there are other smoking mixtures that are "ok", but again, smoking anything is not very good for your lungs. I notice i can get about 3x more hits out of "a hit" of pot than through a waterpipe.

Trust me, i was raised on bongs, thought would never change. I had a box vape for 1 yr before really learning it and using it. I will never go back.

I use the bong (and whip adaptor) to concentrate the vape hit for me, the whip never really felt like i was getting enough.

The best thing is that the vape hit is far different from a bh, i am energized, get pain relief and NEVER get drowsy or couchlocked no matter what i am vaping. With bh's i'd often get sleep soon after hits..

Have you thought about the iolite? It's a handheld vape, that only holds about 2 hits, and it's quite portable, and refills like standard butane refillable lighters. It's pretty sturdy (doesnt' look it, but i have a clutzy pot-addled friend who hasnt broken his in a year...!).

http://www.vaporizers.com/collectio...le-vaporizer?gclid=CMTPn5Do2aECFQxZbAodxkyMKQ

You can get a decent box vape with a ceramic element for $120 now online.

Good luck in your search, i'm sure you'll find something. If you must smoke mj, and want to stretch it, other substances to try smoking with mj:

damiani, mullein, lobelia, tobacco (in order of preference)...just be sure they are proper humidity and not grind them up too much before using.