What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BMX/X games Dave Mirra dead at 41

Al Botross

ICMag Donor
Veteran
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-dave-mirra-dies-20160204-story.html

o BMX biker Dave Mirra, who was one of the most decorated athletes in X Games history, was found dead Thursday of an apparent suicide. He was 41.

Officers in Greenville, N.C., found Mirra in a parked truck, killed by what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound, according to a statement released by the Greenville Police Department.

Mirra was a beloved figure in the world of extreme sports, and his name headlined several BMX video games. Until the 2013 X Games in Munich, he held the record for the most medals in history with 24. Of those, 14 were gold medals.

More recently, Mirra had pursued a different extreme sport: triathlons and Ironman competitions.

“Ironman competitions are an entirely different ballgame. The level of competition is much higher, and there are way more athletes,” Mirra told Sports Illustrated. He qualified for the 2014 Mont Tremblant Ironman World Championship in Canada.

Dave Mirra takes his place at 2004 X Games with 17 medals
Dave Mirra takes his place at 2004 X Games with 17 medals
“It was extremely satisfying to look around and see what I consider the best athletes in the world as my competition,” Mirra told the publication.

Mirra also briefly hosted the MTV series “Real World/Road Rules Challenge" and appeared in an episode of the sitcom "George Lopez."

In Greenville, Mirra was credited for making the city a hub of BMX activity. More than 20 professional BMX riders call the city home, police said.

The mayor of Greenville, Allen Thomas, praised Mirra as “a great friend and wonderful human being.”

Mirra “was as humble a guy talking with kids on a street corner about bikes as he was in his element on the world stage,” Thomas said.

He is survived by his wife and two children.

O

OGShaman

I feel bad for his wife and his kids, and all of his friends that are on social media right now saying all he had to do was pick up a phone and ask for help and they would have been there for him.

My stepfather did the same thing in 2010. He gave zero indication that he was contemplating suicide. Not a day goes by where I don't think about it. Not a day goes by where I don't wish the man would have just said something, and gave the people in his life that loved him a chance to help.

watts

ohms
Veteran
People who kill themselves usually just do it, they don't talk about doing it. It's their choice and we don't always know why. Just like when comedian/actor Robin Williams killed himself, turns out he was suffering from a hidden disease called lewy body dementia. Some people just get sick of suffering and can't or won't get help. Death is tragic and hard to accept. Condolences to all who are mourning.

shawkmon

Pleasantly dissociated
Veteran
lol at peoples perception, who is to say death is bad? who? i look at death as awesome, the next great adventure ! energy cant be killed . he takin extreme sports to a new level !

doob

who is to say death is bad? who?

I would think at this time, all his friends and family, especially his children. The next great adventure kids! ... Your views are more associated with extremist terrorists, just sayin..

The mystery of why he done it will be there forever daily in their minds, must be awful. Its a selfish act, and leaves huge scars on those involved.. Feel for the family :(

mowood3479

Veteran
I posted this in another thread
rip Dave Mirra
I have a strong suspicion that if they were able to autopsy Mirras brain like they did junior seau's they would find an advanced case of CTE (chronic traumatic encephelopathy)
Repeated brain injury is no joke and there is no question that Mirra smashed his head on concrete/wooden Ramps/ metal rails etc...many times.
I could be wrong, but anytime I see an athlete with repeated head trauma commit suicide I think of CTE... Brain disease must be the worst thing to try to live with

mowood3479

Veteran
I know my mental faculties and emotional regulation has been negatively impacted from smashing my head into trees and pipes and fists.. And that was really only from 14-19...
Mirra had prob 20 years of that

doob

Morale of the story, if he medicated with cannabis he would still be here... But he wore a helmet, and nearly every contact sport person gets CTE. We all get depressed.

I looked up to Dave in a huge way as a kid... But I have to say, I agree with shawkmon... Energy cannot be created not destroyed... Only converted. Dave lives on... This is what his family needs to understand. He is still with us. In some form. Let's refrain from likening people with extremists because of a differing point of view...

We might not understand what makes people make those decisions... So permanent, so painful. Especially for those they leave behind. But the decision was theirs. And not ours to judge.

This rocked me. I always looked up to Dave for the example he set. He was promoting a healthy life. Not like some extreme sports athletes who went if the deep end... Not judging just really didn't expect to read that.

Best wishes to his family. And my sincerest condolences on their loss.

Rest in peace Dave.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
My heart goes out to his family. Regardless of what you are dealing with, killing yourself is the easy way out. Bang and over. The selfish part is leaving your wife and kids to pick up the pieces. My theory is that when you have children you waive your right to kill yourself. I mean those kids will never understand why daddy decided to never see them again. Pretty rotten thing to do.

R.I.P Dave but mostly sending vibes to his family.

Sad

Yup if you live in a cabin by yourself with few relationships and obligations you have every right to do with your life as you wish, getting married having children indicates you are in it for the long run.....having said that depression is no joke and even the best weed stash in the world won't save some from taking their life, despite sharing similar beliefs on death as other posters I believe this life is a gift and one we should enjoy and cherish we will all get to experience death soon enough, vibes to Dave his family and friends loved watching him ride.

doob

I went to Nitro Circus on Saturday, first one since it happened, they barely mentioned it and the crowd were cut short on applause for a tribute to Erik Roner instead, so was pretty obvious how people in the circles felt about it

Bubbamaniac

Man that sucks, suicide I'm sure has affected all of us from one angle or another. It's just sad that people make that final permanent step without seeking help, not all counsellors are qualified for all people, but there's someone out there for everybody it's just a matter of finding them. Rest In Peace Dave your innovation in free riding and bmx will never be forgotten.. (What can I say I'm a 1980's kid) I grew up ripping it up on my Haro freestyle bike and we wanted too be guys like Dave....

Latest posts

Latest posts