What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Yields in 3 gallon smarties

MountainBudz

⛽🦨 Kinebud and Heirloom Preservationist! 🦨 ⛽
Hey guys, I know yield cannot be predicted precisely due to so many factors and growing methods but just out of curiosity, what is your average yield when you grow in 3 gallon containers? (specifically fabric pots, but plastic is fine too as i've personally not noticed a huge difference myself). How long do you usually veg these plants and also include how many watts and type of lighting your growing beneath as well. That is crucial....

I am running 3 gal, 11 in each 4x4 tent with a month and half veg time, hoping to pull at least 2 to 2/2 zips per.

Also if you have the pictures and/or time, please post up some photos. Nothing like some good motivation before a flip!

:tiphat:

MountainBudz

I would also like to include that I will have a 1000 watter in one tent and a 600 in the other. I'm hoping and estimating at least 2 to 3 oz under the 1000 watter and 1 1/2 to 2oz in the 600 watter.

That would provide enough for me to smoke all spring, summer and winter lol and enough to help out friends and family as well.

That sound doable?

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I have gotten more so you should be fine...my estimates start at 1 oz per gallon but usually get a lot more....yeehaw

I usually harvest 0,5 - 0,6 g per watts under the same setup ! 1000 watts and a 4 x 4 grow space. Nine plants in 3 gal pots with 3 - 4 weeks of veg.

oti$

Are you talking soil or coco? I've got 12oz in coco vegged tits high and fed 4x lights on. Average 6-8 with a decent veg with not so great yielding varieties. Veg time really dictates yield and with soil, root space can be a limiting factor. I think purple frostbite averages 6-8 in soil with a 60 day veg...he is a good grower.

barletta

Bandaid
Veteran
1oz/gallon is a good start point. If plants are crowded or otherwise underloved (or overloved) the efficiency goes down. If you are nice with plants or have a high yielding strain (or both) the efficiency goes up. Running in a 5 x 5 tent now with 3gal soil smarties & a 1k halide in a parabolic. 9 sativa dom seedplants scrogged & flipped after sexing in veg (maybe 2mo from seed).

Coming to the conclusion that 9 seedplants is too many in my setup. 4-5 seedplants would fill my tent & should run maybe 5-9 if I had clones in the same pots. If I vegged out the hazy plants for the 6weeks OP mentioned he likes to veg for, I'd be able to fill the tent with 2-3 plants in 3 gallon smarties. Yield per smartie would go way up, but overall tent yield would stay ~the same (all else being equal run to run to run). Could probably scrog a single hazy seed plant & veg for 2 months & feed 4-5x's a day by mid flower & pull a silly # 'yield per gallon of soil' lol.

On OP's math...
22-33oz from 16 square feet is really setting the bar high, but not impossibly so.

Last edited:

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
I veg for 6 weeks under cfl's, then the 3 gallons go in a 4x4 tent, 4 plants, under a 1000w hortilux. And I usually average between 140g to 160g per plant....depending on strain

MountainBudz

Just in case you guys are wondering, the bucket is there for humidity issues I have been having. It helps a tad, but not enough. Been keeping the humidity stable with misting every few hours.

MountainBudz

Look like I can obtain those results with these girls or do you think I should veg longer?

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
I think a gallon container per oz. is a far stretch indoors, unless you have your shit really dialed in and have the right strain todo so. Although i managed a 2LB plant from a 15 gallon container last year outside but she was from seed

EastCoast710

ya I did same thing. vegged in 1 tent. split into 2.. started flowering.. had my stretch.. and had to buy a 3rd tent.. and split those 2 tents into 3 tents haha .

MountainBudz

ya I did same thing. vegged in 1 tent. split into 2.. started flowering.. had my stretch.. and had to buy a 3rd tent.. and split those 2 tents into 3 tents haha .

I have ran 11 or 12 plants (cant remember exactly), untrained, in a 4x4 under 1000 watts in 5 gallon pots vegged for a month. It was definitely over crowding, but with a bit of thought and a lot of effort and control, it worked out well and I used the crowding to my advantage. No way would I ever shovel out that much money to set up another (third) tent. You could have very well controlled that situation.

I admit, it looks terrifying when your that over crowded and makes you feel uncomfortable and helpless but it can be done. I have pics somewhere of that grow, if I find them I will post them up. I ended up yielding 21 ounces... Twas a good harvest!

:tiphat:

MountainBudz

Waking up and feeling like a flip might be coming on this morning! Too anxious to wait it out any longer, time to start focusing on the returns of the given!

EastCoast710

yup. I just chopped 2 of 3 tents.. got 1 tent going another 5-7 days.. turned 1 tent into a drying tent..4x8 footer lol . filled from top to bottom.. lol.

then I got a 5x5 that's in veg.. that I am going to have to have my buddy come grab all the plants.. flower it there cause I gotta tear down . clean up.. and setup a built room for a big harvest.. fuck this tent shit. I could of yielded another 3-10 plants.

MountainBudz

Alright, I know yield has nothing to do with this question but I really don't want to start a whole new thread.

I'm having trouble again with watering, if some of you read my previous posts long ago. It was corrected and has been fine ever since, until last night I went and checked on the girls. The ones I watered the night before had pretty droopy leaves. For the last two weeks, I have been giving them a gallon of water each (pretty big plants in three gallon pots that have been flowering for over a week now). I only water the sides and not the center of the container, I get about 25% runoff sometimes a bit less...

Now when I water these, the pots are almost extremely light, soil a bit crunchy, I do not see how it could be over watering... The runoff goes to waste as well. I can water them like this and within 2 days (3 at the most) they are bone dry again, so they must be drinking well. I've noticed even the ones I didn't water was slightly droopy as well last night. Temps are between 75-80 degrees at the most and are usually stable at 75-76... Humidity stays around 30%. The light is about 20-24 inches from top of canopy (1000 watts). Have been feeding quarter strength nutes with every watering of Sensi Bloom A&B oh perfect and the leaves are very healthy, no discoloring, spotting, signs of nitrogen deficiency or anything... What the hell could be happening here?

Could airflow be the cause? I'm running a 440cfm fan in the 4x4 tent nd air flow is very good, do not have an oscilating or added air movement fan added to room yet but do not see that causing the problem either. All vents are open in the bottom of tent. I have a one gallon jug of sugar/water/yeast mixture sitting below each plant as well for added c02 supplementation that is bubbling like crazy. I know c02 should be released above the canopy, but that is in a sealed room. Since the exhaust is above the canopy pulling 440 cfm, I figure i'd be better off placing them below the canopy so the plants could absorb what little is actually being pulled upwards.

MBz :tiphat: