What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is this root rot? Fusarium wilt? free rep!

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
hey yall, thought i would post some pictures of this one single plant that isnt looking to good hoping to get a diagnosis...rep to all who help me out as always!

basically i got a 4x4 veg cab, MH light on 18-6, fox farms soil with perlite and light warrior, watered once every 2-3 days with very little nutrients, PH is always 6.2-6.5...temps are never above 80, humidity is kept around 50-60, etc...

the strain is OG kush, shes in a 5 gal smartpot, been vegging for about 2 months now....shes the ONLY one in the tent with this problem, everything else is looking good.

my hypothesis is fusarium root rot, or some kind of root rot from overwatering perhaps?

vegjune13001.jpg

vegjune13002.jpg

vegjune13003.jpg

vegjune13004.jpg

vegjune13005.jpg

her sitting next to her healthy sisters..

i did a watering with a pinch of h202 today...but if she doesnt get better probably gonna cull her.....more worried about this spreading to the other plants....

b8man

Veteran
I'd guess at some kind of root rot too. I think you could make the plant recover by drying it out, using a product like rhizotonic and cannazym to help the roots recover, but it'll probably be stunted for a few weeks so might not be worth keeping.

If it's easy for you to get supplies, it might be worth getting a product like Wilt Guard to protect the other plants. Seems to have worked for mine.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
oh shit i just picked up anti-wilt today from for my clones...cant believe i didnt think about doing that....right on!!

GeorgeWBush

Veteran
Doesn't look like any plants I've ever had with root rot, and I've dealt with a few. Why not just gently take it out of the pot and have a look.

Last edited:

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
so shes getting progressively worse, and now i discovered some weird inky black spots on her stems....i chopped all the branches that were droppy off the plant in hopes maybe the bottom half of the plant can pull through...looking online at other weed forums and they dont know what it is either.....realllly praying this shit aint contagious...

blackspot001.jpg

blackspot002.jpg

blackspot003.jpg

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
i pulled her out of the pot...the roots dont look brown or falling apart, but there is a nasty rancid smell that definately smells like bacteria of some kind...

shes in the garbage can now...hoping this is just an isolated case...

im gonna let the roots on the other plants dry out real nice before next watering..

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Here's a possible cause.

Here's a possible cause.

i pulled her out of the pot...the roots dont look brown or falling apart, but there is a nasty rancid smell that definately smells like bacteria of some kind...

shes in the garbage can now...hoping this is just an isolated case...

im gonna let the roots on the other plants dry out real nice before next watering..

Almost a shot in da dark here.
But, that looks to me like anthracnose!
I've lost a few rose bushes to it and more than a few pepper plants.
(My air quality was too good. It needs clean air. Smog kills it!)

Did not know that weed was one of it's victims though.
It's not common
I'm guessing that poor girl had other problems that allowed anthracnose a toehold.

As long as the rest of the gang stays healthy they should be able to fight it off.

Prolly too late now, but lowering the humidity and filtering the intake air's about all you can do the prevent it.
That and strong, healthy bushes.

Good luck,
Weeze

big twinn

Veteran
it looks like root rot too me based on my own experience. hows the drainage in your soil? are the roots receiving enough O2? I'd try and transfer into dry soil...odds are though if it is root rot the plant will die as its progressed thus far. My guess was the rootball got over saturated. Mixing a little bit of H2O2 might help kill the infection while providing enough O2 to the roots...Hope you save'em!=)

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
man it just hit another one of my babies....black spots with droppy tops, flushed her with h202 but have a feeling she is trashed...another characteristic i found is the smell...they smell terrible, like tea leaves or something...

fuck....i let them dry out real nice too....something is wrong...i think im about done with fox farms soil..

b8man

Veteran
Damn man - wish I could offer an answer. It sounds like an infection that is spreading through your crop. You can try something like neem oil on the unaffected, but my guess is that you'll have to pull any plants with even mild symptoms and just keep fingers crossed.

A few q's that might help ID it:

Can you identify if the smell is coming from the roots or the plant? If you snap stems is there anything unusual - like slime? Where do the spots start and which direction do they spread? How are the roots looking?

MIway

Veteran
fuck....i let them dry out real nice too....something is wrong...i think im about done with fox farms soil..

It's just an issue w wet bags of mix... inconsistencies in the batches they make... clods of whatever that never got fully mixed.

Regardless of the manufacturing issues, I've seen how these things are treated by distributors & retailers... all sorts of shit happens to these things (exposed to a lot of abuse) & lots of shit gets into & grows in em... bugs & varying micro-organisms.

Seen so much, been around enough people w problems, just stopped bothering with anything wet... from the stores.

Truly hope it is something like this though (bad spot of soil)... the black spots are a bit scary bro.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
the black spots are only on the tops and new growth, on the stems only. the leaves have brown wilt in the new growth tips...it has a rank smell of tea leaves or hay...no slime, just really wilted and loopy like they havent been watered or something...she seems to develope top to bottom, so only the tops of each stem are affected, the lower branches are stil healthy looking...

i flushed the shit out of her and she has no PH issues...i checked the roots and they are white!?!?!

so im confused as hell...spent hours searching online last night couldnt find anything...

so i cut my losses and chopped her....praying to god she doesnt spread...

gotta love growing...just when things seem to smooth out another problem always developes..

GreenHands13

if the roots smell rotten like sewage there is no dought that you have some sort of anaerobic organism in your soil. imho you need to transplant the sick plant or plants. i would use a soil that is innoculated with myccos. for exaple happy frog is innoculated with lots of good beneficals i strongly recommend that you cut the happy frog with atleast 30% perlite though. after you transplant do not water let the new soil wick the moisture out of the old soil. after the old soil has dried water them but dont soak the whole pot water a small amount water around where the old soil meets the new soil. water with something that has trichoderma like great white myccos. if you do this the girl will recover if she hasnt gotten way to bad already. hope this helps and hope your summer is a bountiful one.

ALEWAIN

Hi! Yes4Prop215, I am having exactly the same issue with my babies RIGHT NOW.
From 6 plants, already 3 have those horrible symptoms. Only on the top of them, as you described in your posts. And when I touch it, it makes me itching skin!!
Do you already know what the hell it is? I cannot find it on google.
Have you got any recommendation for me? cutting the top would be enough? Or shall I directly throw the 3 away? Poor babies...
will appreciate a lot your advice!
thanks

mack 10

Veteran
Each plant needs its own saucer or it will spread through the run off.
Looks like some form of root for/ bacterial infection.

I would move any effected plants out.
To stop it spreading iif it already hasn't.

You need to boost their immune system
Maybe add an asprine too ?

Do an ortopsy on the next victim
Cut the stem in half, is it brown inside?

Had something similar a while back,
What ever it was it had spread from the roots
Infected the stem all the way to the top
Where you get those black spots.

Clean. Bleach your grow area and pots.

Latest posts

Latest posts