What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MED GARDEN 101

all messed up

Overgrow refugee
Veteran
Now that my grow classes in Oakland are on hold,any and all med garden questions should be asked here. I realize that there are gardening sections on ICMAG, but I want this to be a first step for the med community to pose questions and I will answer to the best of my ability and provide links to other parts of this website too. For those of us that never leave the med section, this will show us parts of this site we didn't know existed.

tiedye420

Hey scrappy.
I gotta bad jones for the breeders section, I seem to stay there so much I don't realize the site is huge and there's so much more out there...
I'll be happy to join you guys in the medical area, and well im battling cancer now so the shoe fits better anyways...
I haven't been to many med forums much since dr j passed on...Just couldn't do it anymore.... Thanks for getting me back in here ..I need to be here now.
I got a few goodies that need to join the community as well...Sweet little baby girls of course....
Ahhh I think i'm finally home. ( what reeks in here?)
tiedye

all messed up

Overgrow refugee
Veteran
Surely you can't be lost with so much work to do.
There are many sick people out there who need hybrids not yet created.
Let's get to work. Someday we'll laugh about all this.

wescyber

I gotta question. In your experience how many cycles of taking clones from clones do you have to go through before you start to see signs of "crowning" or other forms of genetic degredation?

-wes

G

wescyber said:
I gotta question. In your experience how many cycles of taking clones from clones do you have to go through before you start to see signs of "crowning" or other forms of genetic degredation?

-wes

Trainwreck, and many others, have supposedly been around for over twenty years as clone only. It still seems awesome to me!!!

Sorry that doesn't really answer your question though :joint:

wescyber

Trainwreck isnt clone only. It is however pheno specific. I'm not sure if anyone remembers myself and berzerker's talks about TW from OG but we have both been working with it for years. The B-man a little longer than I..lol.

-wes

SCF

Bong Smoking News Hound
Veteran
i like the idea of talking about growing and grow styles. from all types of hydro or what works best and easy for a patient. To Organics.

Its great you guys are making great genetics. The genetic pull just gets stickier and stickier.... and the flavor :)

all messed up

Overgrow refugee
Veteran
wescyber said:

-wes

I have found that clean grow rooms with new moms made every 90 days or so can produce viable clones for about 3-5 years. I have clones from clones that are now 12 years old and still going strong. This will create a flame war from those who choose seeds more frequently but If the plants are clean, well fed and free of pathogens they can go on quite awhile. I have noticed those who say 1-2 years max don't have clean grow rooms.

There are varieties of heirloom seedless grapes cloned for thousands of years in Iran. There are seedless citrus in asia that are in the hundreds of years by clone. There are rose varieties four hundred years old.

I think it's about being clean. Diseases will introduce deficiencies however. I think for the average grower, 3 or so years before problems arise. I will say my ten year old cut is still very vigorous.

G

How does a 600 watt HPS put out 10 times more lumens at 2 feet than a 1000 watt at 2 feet? Is it advantageous to raise your 600 watt 2 feet above the tops?

Last edited:

all messed up

Overgrow refugee
Veteran
Where did you read that? I know that 600 watt lights are more efficient because they are newer than 1000's which are unchanged for the most part for the last twenty years.

G

Indoor marijuana horticulture by Jorge, page 25. A photographer buddy of mine says it's not a typo. 225,000 lumens for the 600, 28,750 for the 1000. Again at 2 feet.

Last edited:
N

Neptune

Dopey,

What Cervantes was trying to illustrate is this...

a 600w lamp placed at 1 foot from the canopy is ~ maximum bulb lumens (90,000 or so). A 1000w lamp placed 1' from the canopy is ~ maximum bulb lumens (150,000 or so).

But, it is much easier to get a 600w to rest comfertably (heat) at 1 foot, whereas it is much more difficult to get a 1000w to rest comfertably... there we see that most 1000w fixtures are often 2+ feet from the canopy tops.... making the delievered lumens about equal.

I know many folks who place 600w lamps under 1 foot from the canopy, makng them very powerful and high intensity at the cost of light footprint... It is a good idea to AIRCOOL all your HID lighting to get them as close to the canopy as possible.. the closer the better, until burning/yellowing occurs... then you are too close. A thermal coupple or thermometer will tell you what a little trail and error will.

all messed up

Overgrow refugee
Veteran
My strong point is gardening. I was just calling my electrician friend when neptune posted this. I appreciate it. I will never claim to have all the answers but what I know I will share. If I can't find the answer, I'm sure we can figure it out. Thanks Neptune.

G

But, it is much easier to get a 600w to rest comfertably (heat) at 1 foot, whereas it is much more difficult to get a 1000w to rest comfertably... there we see that most 1000w fixtures are often 2+ feet from the canopy tops.... making the delievered lumens about equal.

Ya you are right they have the coma in the wrong spot on my book's copy. It's 22500 lumens.

wescyber

From what Ive read I believe the new 600w Digitals put out slightly more lumens than the old magnetic 1000w.

-wes

N

Neptune

Wescyber, let me address your statement..

the new 600w Digitals put out slightly more lumens than the old magnetic 1000w.

This is absolutely not true.

When have you ever seen a side by side test with high-quality digital light meters? You havn't. Someone should do one! These claims come from digital ballast pushers who use "Standard magnetic ballasts with standard bulbs."

No one on these forums uses a Standard magnetic ballast or Standard bulbs. The equipment they are comparing their fancy 600w digital ballsts to, is outdated commerical warehouse equipment.... not horticulture. In other words, they are doing the apples + oranges thing.

a 1000w magnetic ballast puts out more initial lumens than a digital 600w. Not to get into a debate of 1000w vs 600w, but you understand what I am saying... that claim is false, hype, and advertisement.

I'm sure you can find a 1000w HPS bulb that puts out like 80,000 lumens (shitty)
and compare it to a 600w Growlux that puts out 95,000 lumens and you have a marketing campaign that isn't a lie.

Latest posts

Latest posts