What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Behind the Pricey San Francisco Ad Campaign Pushing "Craft, Small-Batch, Sustainable"

Al Botross

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Behind the Pricey San Francisco Ad Campaign Pushing "Craft, Small-Batch, Sustainable"

horizontal_poster.web_.gif

On Monday, just in time for 4/20, residents of San Francisco, Oakland, and Berkeley will witness the nation's first multichannel marketing campaign for an actual brand of pot—a campaign that should be instantly recognizable to any bearded, Blue Bottle-drinking hipster: "Craft farmers, small-batch, sustainable," say ads that will appear in newspapers and social media and on billboards and buses. "That's cannabis the California way."

The ads are paid for by Flow Kana, a collaborative of small, organic marijuana farmers from far Northern California's rugged and remote Emerald Triangle region. The campaign features scenic shots of the region's mist-shrouded hills, home to many of the state's original hippie growers and their descendants. It's one of several marketing efforts recently launched to promote small farmers in the face of the increasing corporatization and vertical integration of California pot.

California will vote on a legalization initiative in November, but unlike other states that permit the sale of recreational marijuana, it already has a world-famous cannabis industry. The pot trade by far dwarfs all other sectors of the economy in the Emerald Triangle's Humboldt, Mendocino, and Trinity counties. In fact, voters there have historically opposed legalization for fear that it would expose them to competition from venture-backed corporate farms—fears that have resurfaced with this year's legalization initiative.

Except this time many Emerald Triangle farmers see an opening. Months of vigorous lobbying by their trade organization, the Emerald Growers Association, has tailored this year's leading legalization initiative to their interests. The Adult Use of Marijuana Act will initially restrict the size of legal pot farms to one acre and prevent any single entity from simultaneously cultivating, manufacturing, and retailing marijuana. It's the opposite of the approach taken in other legal-pot states, which typically control the market by limiting licenses to large, vertically integrated growers. "It was critical to us that we be horizontally integrated and have the opportunity for lots and lots of small licenses," says Emerald Growers director Hezekiah Allen. "And that's what we got."

Up to a point. After the first five years, the law's size limitations would expire, potentially opening the door to massive dispensary chains supplied by their own 100-acre Central Valley farms—what Allen describes as his "doomsday scenario." If that were to happen, Allen believes that most of the Emerald Triangle's 25,000 or so growers would simply return to selling cannabis on the black market, shipping it to buyers in states where it's still illegal and fetches higher prices. With the spread of legalization to other states, Emerald Triangle growers might eventually go the way of Appalachian moonshiners, rendered irrelevant by a regulated marketplace.

Hence Flow Kana's advertising campaign, which is aimed at convincing consumers to pay a premium for sustainably grown artisanal marijuana. "I think that evolution will take time, just like it did with cacao and coffee products," says Flow Kana founder Michael Steinmetz Mishki. Yet the evolution isn't happening as fast as he'd like: "If we don't get this company to be massively big over the next two years," he adds, "then we won't be able to compete with the bigger forces that come in. So we are going all out."

A Flow Kana bus advertisement
Flow Kana is spending about $200,000 on the marketing effort, which also includes a series of videos and a sponsorship deal with San Francisco's Earth Day Film Festival. Other similar efforts are also underway. Cooperatives such as Humboldt Sun Growers Guild and Emerald Family Farms sell responsibly grown, "mom-and-pop" marijuana under their own brands in medical-pot dispensaries, though their advertising efforts to date have mostly been limited to stoner magazines.

In response to increasing concerns about marijuana's environmental costs, many California pot dispensaries offer their own lines of (informally) organic, sun-grown pot. Yet few will say exactly where it came from. That used to suit farmers, who feared that any exposure could lead to their arrest, but the practice is now being seen as anti-competitive. Growers complain that an increasing amount of dispensary marijuana is grown in-house as a cost-cutting measure. "They want to control the market," says Chrystal Ortiz, the operations manager of Humboldt Sun Growers. "From a financial standpoint, it's not in their best interest to allow a brand, because then we can set a price."

By bringing yeoman growers out of the shadows, the new pot brands aim to empower them. "Right now in the black market, if you grow organic and under the sun with love and care, or you grow it in the basement, you get treated in the same way," Mishkin says. "The idea with this campaign is to really showcase who we are, and in so doing create a value for customers that will trickle down for the benefit of the planet."

The concept is in many ways a return to the Emerald Triangle's hippie roots, albeit with a modern marketing sensibility. "It's not like we have to go out and recreate these systems," Mishkin says. "We just have to leverage the people who have been doing it."

Link: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/04/san-francisco-ad-campaign-artisanal-marijuana

KFMedicineMan

interesting time we live in. those who depend on cannabis as a cash crop in rural places are seeing their future change right now... it seems inevitable at this point... adapt or be "rendered irrelevant".

thats an interesting quote because even though moonshiners are all pretty much gone, aren't there some who continue making a living off bootlegging? if we believe TV then yes...

jump /injack

Veteran
People don't yet realize what legalizing Cannabis and taxing it yet means, they have made it a business for the State and for the State bureaucracy which will grow and grow and there for have to tax even more and more. 15% on top of 10% will make Cannabis double or triple overnight and there will be so much money that the State will bust your balls to steal all they can. When people made alcohol and cheated the taxman, they get really big time, it will be the same. This law coming up in California is for the retirement fund of the politicians and their bureaucracy, its a bad one.

Brot

I may be missing something here. I understand the corporate greed, and keeping things simple. Heres the part Im missing, ITS LEGAL! For over 40 years ive looked over my shoulder before I sparked up. Now you have been given the opportunity to be legit. With blessings of the state to profit. So how is this bad? No jail time? Im a bit older, but please tell me what im missing!....
I would much rather pay a tax, and have the peace of mind that helo's wont land in the middle of the night, just because im growing!!

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
Back on track, I like the idea of trademarking grower skills. Anybody can get a cut of this or that nowadays, but can they grow it properly? Those skills will become more apparent with the seed to sale tracking system.

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Honestly this is just "marketing" thats all.....boring really .....irrelevant to an individual's business or grow, just adapt or die....simple

MileHighGlass

There's going to be a lot of butt hurt farmers in California in the next few years.

The rules, they are a coming, and you are not invited to be a part of the "legal" cannabis industry. You can however "run" greenhouses for $15 and hour. :)

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
..........why do you think "many" of us are just leaving Cali........it's fucked up.....I am

SocalNugz

I won't be one of them. I'll be quite happy to plop a greenhouse or 2 down in the desert, make a bit of money, pay some taxes, and get high!

I hope you have been saving your cash....permits will be few and hard to obtain unless your currently sitting on millions.
Big names with big money are coming in and inless youve been a smart cookie your gonna be left behind.
Your dream of plopping green houses down will land you in prison not on easy street brother. Espeacially with the cops in the dessert.... youve never seen crooked cops till youve lived in the high desert of california!!!!!!!

I also HATE HATE HATE the way this industry is headed to large scale production of low quality product then they turn around and try to tell you its the same as yours....
Insulting and ignorant.

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
Greenhouse growing is fully permitted in San berdoo county at this point. Not hard to get a permit at all.

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
...at least you will not be going to prison. It's the grown up world of concessions. Get used to it. That's life.

leaving California will do nothing but delay the inevitable...but hit the door...go...bye

MileHighGlass

I hope you have been saving your cash....permits will be few and hard to obtain unless your currently sitting on millions.
Big names with big money are coming in and inless youve been a smart cookie your gonna be left behind.
Your dream of plopping green houses down will land you in prison not on easy street brother. Espeacially with the cops in the dessert.... youve never seen crooked cops till youve lived in the high desert of california!!!!!!!

I also HATE HATE HATE the way this industry is headed to large scale production of low quality product then they turn around and try to tell you its the same as yours....
Insulting and ignorant.

You are correct. The amount of money needed to enter the "legal" cannabis market is extremely high now. "plopping" down green houses isn't going to happen within a couple of years. Get it while you can.

All that being said, it seems Oregon is the place to be right now. You can grow and sell to the stores on the med side, and it is not that much to open up a retail store. Hence Portland getting flooded with stores.

I don't think any of it will last though.

I started out growing illegally so I really don't care either way. :)

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm not a professional grower, so I'm happy about legalization if it happens. I just want to be able to grow my plants without the legal risk.

It will also be cool being able to walk into a weed store and buy whatever bud or hash I want whenever I want. I can do that now with a medical card, but we shouldn't need a doctor's note to get high.

The whole small batch grow scenario could yield interesting results if the growers take it upon themselves to grow truly unique varietals rather than typical commercial cuts. Otherwise it's just smoke and mirrors selling the same damn weed as any other guy. I think it would be cool to be able to pick up well grown pure tropical sativas at a dispensary; it would be the only thing that I would be interested in, actually.

There might not be a whole lot of money in the future of small time growing, but it would be cool to have a renaissance of variety in cannabis genetics, and I think legalization has the potential to contribute to that. Big up the home grow!

Latest posts

Latest posts