What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

De-Seeding Bud

Crumble up your buds. Place them in a jar with luke warm water. Cover the jar and shake vigorously for a few minutes. When you open the jar, the seeds should float to the top.

If you're planning on storing or shipping the seeds, I'd suggest you use some form of alcohol solvent. (h2o will promote immediate germination.)

I've saved the seeds which floated to the top of my jars while making hash oil many times and the germination rate has never been adversely affected.

ebi

G

guest123

i never found extracting the seeds very difficult ,, time consuming , but really easy .. just dry the buds well and crush the buds up letting all the seeds fall out ..
some cardboard or newspaper with seeds and herb on , elevated to around 45 degrees and tap tap tap ,, all the seeds go down into the bowl u have waiting .. the odd herb crumb will also , but its easy enough to get out ... pretty easy stuff guys , no rocket science goin on there i can assure ya ... haha ...

B

Brother_Monk

Yeah wally...that's how I always do it. I was just wondering if there was another lazier way. I seen an acrylic, crank handle grinder, on a thread back on OG, and the poster said it was wonderful for de-seeding buds as well...without damaging the seed. I guess this wheel is gunna be harder to invent than I thought. I'll not spend two grand on an industrial separator lol! It's just not economical.

Hey thanks again for everyone who came in here, sharing your ideas! I'll keep digging. Perhaps I won't give up on this endeavor yet! There has to be a mechanical solution heh heh! :rasta:

:ying:

G

guest123

hey brother monk ,, u know i did see a contraption at tthe cannabis cup one year ,, was made for seperating seeds from weed , a bit like a small mouli , but instead of teeth it had a plastic part ... really worked well and didnt break any seeds ,, from memory the guy also made pipes ... it was a real idea ,,, i was impressed ....

B

Brother_Monk

I know it's out there...I seen it! I just wish someone would see this thread, who has a pic of it, and share it again. It was in a thread relating to the boutique I think. Dam I wish my memory was better hehheh!

Wally, if you run into that guy again, would you please get some info from him. I would be very interested in getting one of them things. If he makes pipes, perhaps he has a website? Shoot me a PM if you have info bro.

:ying:

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
wooohooo! :smile:
well on the 23rd I posted here when I had just put the smaller cut-up 'sub-buds' in my flower chamber to expose them to gentle heat & breeze to help them dry faster. Well tonight - just 4 days later they were dry enough to crumble to dust so that worked better and quicker than expected :smile: - who needs a food dehydrator when youve got a flower chamber !?!?

I just rolled each bud between my fingers to crush it to dust without doing any harm to the seeds, then manually sifted through looking for those brown gems, and as it turned out I ended up doubling the amount of seeds I've got, so in other words I was really only able to get about 50% of the beans while the buds were wet, so I don't think I'll bother doing that again -- it's just sooo much easier finding brown seeds in green dust compared to wet buds :smile: - plus there's no need to manually extract them from the seed pod like I did with a pin when they were in the wet bud, which was very time consuming

The only disadvantage i guess is that the buds are sacrificed and cant be smoked, but when youre growing for seeds I dont think that's really an issue. And I only pollenated two stems so I was still able to harvest all the other buds for smoke - best of both worlds.

I'll definately follow this same approach if I make seeds on a small-quantity scale again.

As for large-scale seed harvesting, well ...... I'll leave that problem up to you boys 8)

Last edited:
I've never felt the need for anything beyond "crumble-tip-tap" myself. Something mechanical shouldn't be very hard to figure out though.

The only thing i can think of is a drum that somehow combines the "crumble-tip-tap" procedure.

acidfire

Same method that several of you have posted except I use my stash box.
All the seeds roll down to the bottom.

Plus after your done, you have some tasty dry sieve waiting for you. :joint:

acidfire

I bought it from http://www.bcboxes.com/ about 5 years ago.
They are very well made, but its very easy to make one yourself IMO.
Noticed you can now buy just the mesh from their site.
Its ~150 micro id guess.

Ive made two more layers so it has 3 screens now, but dont have any pictures sorry.

Last edited:

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think it is @pipsweed on IG who built a PVC tube gravity/fan separator that I imagine is similar to that bird seed cleaner. Another users design but I can't recall his name. Easy to copy.