What's new

Shaking plants after rain?

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
Well, we got a quarter of an inch or so of rain this morning. Buds were water logged/soaked, nothing really flopping. But just really wet. I shook the shit out of them, buds and main stalk, I was wondering if that could possibly do more damage? like water getting inside of the buds? Im only a few weeks out and no sun yet today. It might not come out until tomorrow afternoon. After shaking the shit out of them there was still some standing water. I know a soaking is good for them like rain, but this far into it. Im probably just being paranoid like everything else

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
I don't understand my typing either. I double space after periods. Shit aint working, sorry if this is/was hard for you guys to read

St. Phatty

I would do everything possible to stop mold.

Oscillating fans - all around - would help - most of the time.

I have plants in very large pots, on wheels. On wheels for a reason. Might need to move them into the garage with lights and a dehumidifier.

I give all of my plants a once-over in the morning. Look at the inside and pick off anything that could be a mold 'vector', usually dead leaves or leaves that are ready to come off.

Saw a little red spider this morning. He's very welcome since the farm supply store is SOLD OUT of lady bugs.

bigherb

Veteran
Shaking is a good idea it will not hurt the plant . Shaking won't dry them completely but it's helpful

Any way possible to remove that sitting rain is a good idea fans leaf blower etc

Best wishes

1luvbigherb

therevverend

Veteran
They'll be mostly fine. I live in the PNW happens all the time up here. Give them a good quick shake without manhandling them. It'll remove some of the standing water but it won't dry them out.
I've gotten debris blown on my plants with leaf blowers so be careful if you use one. And even if they're dry they'll reabsorb a lot of moisture back from the ground and air if it's saturated. The only way to get them completely dry is to wait for the moisture to evaporate.
Plants are tougher then you think I used to freak out when the wind and rain would thrash and soak them. Now it's not as big of a deal. Plus I don't grow a lot of wimpy indoor strains. Dutch strains love to mold.
I get the grey mold when the days are shorter with cold long nights. The flowers don't have time to dry out during the day so they go 3 or 4 days saturated through the center. Grey mold usually starts in the middle so by the time you see it, it's too late.

Ive used a lighter powered electric leaf blower with no problems for 2 years and have only lost a small kola or 2 due to bud rot. Also I put a big as fan back there too to circulate the air and to push any spores away from the plants.

Top_shelf_farms

The most ill do is give them a light shake.... even after a heavy rain if you actually open a bud up its dry inside... they're good at resisting water. I feel too much shaking or using a blower will drive it inside. I if the plants are healthy, they'll absorb it pretty quick... just some thoughts after dealing with 18" of rain with giant plants last year....

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
The most ill do is give them a light shake.... even after a heavy rain if you actually open a bud up its dry inside... they're good at resisting water. I feel too much shaking or using a blower will drive it inside. I if the plants are healthy, they'll absorb it pretty quick... just some thoughts after dealing with 18" of rain with giant plants last year....

I shook them pretty hard and good lol. I put a oscillating fan outside and moved it around. It seemed to be dried, but this morning woke up to dew all over plants. 48 degrees this morning in Sonoma County

OCdirty

I shook them pretty hard and good lol. I put a oscillating fan outside and moved it around. It seemed to be dried, but this morning woke up to dew all over plants. 48 degrees this morning in Sonoma County

Imo our climate is so dry even with rain that I wouldn't be concerned.

EsterEssence

Veteran
It has been really moist here in the mornings which is not usual this time of year this far away from the coast. I am noticing more bud rot than normal, seems it is always something...

M

metsäkana

what i notice in north and moist outdoor grow
mold start mostly from particles of shit or bugs inside buds that moisture will start to mold
plant should take it fine if its not weak 4M1B9571

last summer seed started to grow on plant from moisture outside

therevverend

Veteran
That's great how wet does it have to be to sprout a friggin' seed!
I notice when a plant takes an injury, a large fan leaf getting peeled off, an injury to it's skin, broken branch, etc. The injury is much more likely to be infected with mold. I've used neosporin with some success.
The worst part for me isn't the rain, it's the combination of wind and rain. The first autumn storm always screws me over. Bent, broken, and snapped branches or plants. The weight of the rain plus the weight of the rapidly growing flowers weighs down the plant and causes all sorts of problems. Trellis systems will solve a lot of these problems but it makes plants much more conspicuous. I don't top plants because that makes the problem worse. I think the natural shape of the plant is the best to deal with these disasters.
I've learned to stake out and tie up my plants before a storm. Won't stop all the damage but will lessen it. Good to take the direction of the wind into account.
Should add the wind is a mixed blessing. Or a balanced curse? The wind will quickly dry off all the water more efficiently then a leaf blower. Often I'll get a pounding rain followed by 20 mph gusts. That blow away the rain but snap branches from the weight of the water. Then I'll go out to repair the damage and some of the branches will be lifting themselves from the weight getting relieved.
At least with the rain and wind the leafhoppers, gnats, mites, mildew, etc get washed and blown away to someone else's patch. It's a big relief to me and the plants to see all the parasites gone for a couple days. Nature does have it's balance..

Last edited:

JOJO420

Veteran
Woke up to damn near 100% humidity , total fog.
Visibility was at the tip of yer fingers, if you could see em
Felt like you were in a cloud , literally .,
Just standing there I was soaked with humidity , jacket dripping..
Rain came in spurts , 10-20 seconds at most, then back to trace amount.

I am most concerned about the wind however. The rain plus da wind makes me most concerned.
Thank god I caged n staked em properly or I might have white hair :)

Limeygreen

Veteran
For your wounds try dissolving 150-175 grammes Epsom salt per gallon of water, basically until the Epsom salt is in a saturated solution, if you have some that didn't dissolve then strain them separate as it clogs up sprayers but you spray this solution on the steams or wounds (can burn leaves or anything green) it will harden off that wound or bottom stem. Can be used as a preventative or light curative if the wound is fresh, better to be sprayed at a time where it can dry up such as morning or early afternoon.

Latest posts

Latest posts