What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anybody using boveda

brown_thumb

They sure sell a lot of Boveda packs to the cigar industry, I find it kind of hard to believe they could be solely responsible for that kind of health hazard. Sounds like he was bashing for the sake of self promotion.

Yes indeed... the tobacco industry definitely has our good health in mind when they sell their products to us. And of course, if there are any concerns regarding the safety of their products they pay vast fortunes to bring the truth to light. Yes indeed, we are very well protected by big tobacco.:D

mack 10

Veteran
I have a really hard time believing that a person coming down with an auto immune disease would have any way at all in tracing it back to a humidity pack they used to regulate the humidity of their buds. Would have been fun to have grilled him on any proof he had. And that would definitely be grounds for a huge lawsuit if it were indeed true. Also Bodeva is made up of salt and a gelling agent and has a membrane small enough only to let pure H2O move through it. I think he was just using crappy tactics to try and hype his product.

exactly what I thought, was just throwing the info out there.
he seemed pretty heated about it,
but how would you know it was def the Boveda?

maybe someone can rip one up, and get the insides tested.

man, if he made that up he's a complete tosser.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Yes indeed... the tobacco industry definitely has our good health in mind when they sell their products to us. And of course, if there are any concerns regarding the safety of their products they pay vast fortunes to bring the truth to light. Yes indeed, we are very well protected by big tobacco.:D
I can’t argue about the objectives of the tobacco industry, they’re in it for the money. What I meant was for all the Boveda packs sold in that channel, if there was a problem with them causing an auto immune disorder I would think it would have surfaced by now.

brown_thumb

I can’t argue about the objectives of the tobacco industry, they’re in it for the money. What I meant was for all the Boveda packs sold in that channel, if there was a problem with them causing an auto immune disorder I would think it would have surfaced by now.

My intent was to show that 'big business' couldn't care less about our health. They just want the profits. I haven't a clue as to whether or not Boveda packs affect our health. I was only trying to convey that we should always keep an open mind about it. It can take DECADES before our precious government agencies (which we pay to protect us) take any stand against those who would kill us for profit.

G

My intent was to show that 'big business' couldn't care less about our health. They just want the profits. I haven't a clue as to whether or not Boveda packs affect our health. I was only trying to convey that we should always keep an open mind about it. It can take DECADES before our precious government agencies (which we pay to protect us) take any stand against those who would kill us for profit.

Jeez,,, another self anointed social warrior who is going to explain to us all why companies are evil and big tobacco especially.
Give it a rest. Stay on topic. I get so sick of reading info in a thread and then someone has to drag in a soap box, climb up on it and explain the world to us rubes. All the while imagining we are all ever so great full for the earth shattering enlightenment.

brown_thumb

Jeez,,, another self anointed social warrior who is going to explain to us all why companies are evil and big tobacco especially.
Give it a rest. Stay on topic. I get so sick of reading info in a thread and then someone has to drag in a soap box, climb up on it and explain the world to us rubes. All the while imagining we are all ever so great full for the earth shattering enlightenment.

We all have our soap boxes... including you. ;)

Jhhnn

Veteran
Here's the MSDS sheet on 62% bovedas-

https://maxcdn.bovedainc.com/msds/MSDS62.pdf

and potassium citrate-

https://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927705

Toxicity is very low. As has been said, the permeable membrane package only allows water to go thru, so if that's intact there are no issues. They're quite tough, not delicate or easy to puncture or tear in normal handling.

Formulations for different RH values are different & the info is here-

https://www.bovedainc.com/safety-data-sheets/

G

Gr33nSanta

I ve had mixed results with boveda, if you match % of your herb with the boveda then it allows you to store for a very long time but if you use the boveda to correct you drying, it can definitely screw your herb and make it smell and taste like hay.

I bought 12 packs of 58% boveda over a year ago, I used 1 or 2 package and have never bothered using the rest. I still have them.

I think boveda might be a good thing for dispensary that do not want to lose money on weed over drying but over all, if you know what you are doing, bovedas are useless!!

Jhhnn

Veteran
I ve had mixed results with boveda, if you match % of your herb with the boveda then it allows you to store for a very long time but if you use the boveda to correct you drying, it can definitely screw your herb and make it smell and taste like hay.

I bought 12 packs of 58% boveda over a year ago, I used 1 or 2 package and have never bothered using the rest. I still have them.

I think boveda might be a good thing for dispensary that do not want to lose money on weed over drying but over all, if you know what you are doing, bovedas are useless!!

If you're trying to use bovedas to correct your drying process your weed is already screwed. They won't help with that. A grower has to move from drying to curing before the material is too dry for curing to occur at all. They'll just help hold the humidity up as repeated extractions are made from the jar & act as insurance against the effects of air leaks.

G

We all have our soap boxes... including you. ;)
I guess my red flag of keyboard diarrhea from a certain type that cant stop preaching relates to the post count compared to join date.
I have no soap box. I just get weary of those who seem to feel the whole world needs to hear their opinion on everything from politics to toilet paper. Which are connected. Just like diarrhea. Add you to ignore now.

Organickz

Ive seen them on ebay in different sized packages. From 50 to about 250. Maybe more if you look a bit harder than i did. Thats where ill be ordering mine though

Organickz

I have another question. So as some of have said about using them to dry would be a bad idea, im not going to do that but my question is when i use for curing will it be sufficient to use as soon as i jar my buds or should i at least wait til after the first week that i start the curing process?

brown_thumb

I guess my red flag of keyboard diarrhea from a certain type that cant stop preaching relates to the post count compared to join date.
I have no soap box. I just get weary of those who seem to feel the whole world needs to hear their opinion on everything from politics to toilet paper. Which are connected. Just like diarrhea. Add you to ignore now.

Where's the middle-finger emoticon when you need it?:D

I'll be trying these to help regulate the drying process... slow and easy starting with high humidity and gradually lowering it.

Jhhnn

Veteran
I have another question. So as some of have said about using them to dry would be a bad idea, im not going to do that but my question is when i use for curing will it be sufficient to use as soon as i jar my buds or should i at least wait til after the first week that i start the curing process?

You need to couple their use with a hygrometer. When it seems like drying is nearly complete, I jar the buds with a hygrometer, check the RH after 12 hours or so. If it's too damp, the buds come back out to dry some more, 12-24 hours, then repeat. When the RH in the jar holds in the 60-65% range for 24 hours the transition to curing is complete & a boveda goes in with the buds. As I've said, they're just insurance.

It gets easier to judge when to try jarring with some experience. For me, anyway, the range of variables in temp & humidity in the drying environment is large so it really pays to keep close attention after the first few days of drying & during the initial curing phase. In warm humid weather drying takes longer & the tendency to mold if jarred too soon is increased just because there are a lot more mold spores to begin with. Here in Denver the danger of mold is low in winter because indoor humidity is often very low as well & drying will proceed much more rapidly.

The transition from drying to curing is critical because a grower needs to move to curing at the right time as moisture content in the buds decreases during drying. It's kinda like catching a fly ball- if you miss it, you miss it & there's no going back for a do-over.

You can rehydrate dry boveda packs. place them inside a big topperware with water inside and the packs are in a smaller tupperware(dry, no contact with water, only air RH is 99%) , floating inside the tupperware. for 48h or longer.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
does anyone have a good source for the packets? like 50-100 of them?
You can order 100 packs directly from boveda's website, but if I'm reading these numbers correctly it's 10$ cheaper to buy 5x 20 packs than it is to order 1x 100 pack. Can find the page by googling for boveda bulk case herbal