What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Non cured vs cured buds

What are the benefits of curing besides taste?

Some people say cured buds gets you higher than non cured buds.

Let's say you cure half a plant and dry the other half until the stem snaps, why would the cured buds gets you higher if it's the exact same weed on both sides? It sounds pretty illogical to me.

zingablack

livin my way the high way
Veteran
nothing to do with potency. more so removing the nasty chlorophyll taste that exists in the green part of the plant. and getting it to the right level of humidity for proper grinding, burning.

nothing to do with potency. more so removing the nasty chlorophyll taste that exists in the green part of the plant. and getting it to the right level of humidity for proper grinding, burning.

Now that i think about it, i have been smoking non cured buds all my life.

I'm used to the taste so non cured it is.

G

Guest 315072

ill have to say cured buds all day.. alot smoother.. usually more potent.. becauses chemical reactions that take place .. thc to cbn and cbl .. getting the green out.. i mean. i have smoked bud that was great.. that i just left to dry for 20 days. the longest dry ever.. the humidity was so bad the week i harvested the dehumidifier barely helpeed took wicked long to dry.. by day 20 the plants were turning brown and yellow stems . and leaves.. buds looks great and smelled great . jarred for a couple weeks and bam there were banging.. iunno id like to see a lab test on both cured and uncured to see difference!

Stonefree69

Veg & Flower Station keeper
Veteran
I do think cured buds are more potent. That's why people in a rush or who want edibles decarb them (heating them up @ 220F for 20-30 minutes). Decarbing turns THC-A (removes the carboxylic group, COOH) into THC or it's usable form. And I don't think you need to decarb properly cured dank.

señorsloth

Veteran
cured weed is not stronger, it just tastes smoother...there is no way for additional thc to enter the jar, some people surmise that because every time you open the jar a tiny amount of moisture leaves that your cured weed is actually getting a little better over time because the ratio of resin to leaf/moisture goes up a teany tiny bit...i personally think thats bs, cause in theory you could dry half your bag all the way till it's dust, and the other half slow cure it...the slow cure wouldn't by that argument get any better than the non cured resin to leaf wise...

cured weed starts to undergo a process of oxidation and carboxilation, the weed slowly becomes psychoactive without heat... just time...certain chemicals turn into other chemicals. in reality no street weed is ever cured, and the average person can't tell the difference between my buddies bud, grown from the same clones as mine, but jarred for 4-6 months vs mine which never lasts more than 2 weeks...we can tell the difference because we have honed our smoking skills after not smoking harsh street weed in so long... and we acknowledge that the difference is very hard to tell...however your average pot smoker in a non med state can't tell the difference between cured and uncured weed...they might think they could but in a blind survey they would be hopeless...it would be like being a wine connoisseur, who has only tried franzia and cheep gallon jugs of wino brands...you can't exactly hone your skills on cheep swill and then apply it to rare bottles of old treasured wine...

i'm no chemist but the way i have had it explained is when you smoke weed, the heat from the flame activates the psychoactive properties of the pot, that aren't there in weeds raw form. with really really old bud, weed that's been cured a year or longer even, a large amount of those chemicals have already become psychoactive... so that means that while you may burn the weed up and inhale it, if most of the thc isn't psychoactive before you light it, a small amount will make it to your lungs without being heated enough to become psychoactive...so a small amount gets wasted depending on how you heat your weed...

but if the weed has already been in a jar for 2 years, or was carboxolised in the oven ahead of time, then most of the chemicals in the weed are already psychoactive before you start smoking it, so it doesn't require additional heating to become psychoactive...meaning almost all of the thc inhaled will be active whether it is heated sufficiently or not...vs the fresh weed where a small amount of the thc could still be inactive as it's being inhaled...

in that sense cured weed could be stronger but heating a bowl and smoking does a pretty good job of caboxolizing and activating the thc anyway so the difference between the two would be very small...

the differences overall between cured and uncured weed are very subtle, and mostly have to do with smoothness, terpenes slowly change as they oxidize, so flavors change, and the chemical makeup alters, so the type of high gradually changes, but these are the types of things noticed by connoisseur not laymen...

sure everybody likes a fancy bottle of wine, but could the average person tell it apart from a similar cheep bottle? does that make them enjoy it any less? of course not and it shouldn't...there is nothing wrong with buying something high end now and then and enjoying it, as long as you are honest with yourself about your ability to fully enjoy its subtleties, and aren't blowing money hand over fist on expensive products that you can't distinguish from cheep ones...

you don't have to be a connoisseur to enjoy pot, and not everybody is born with a palate that would qualify them as a connoisseur...i would imagine most in fact are not...i have also observed way too many people smoking with hemp strings and cleaning their pipes every time they use them, people that couldn't tell the difference between diesel and skunk...ego comes in here big time...everybody wants to be the guy who can take one whiff and tell you exactly what it is and how well it was made...thats just not how it works though and most people would be better off if they were honest with themselves about their floral handicaps...rather than trying to be the cool guy...

and finally, if you don't grow your own(sadly most of the people on this site nowadays), then you almost assuredly have not had enough exposure to super premium grade pot to work on a strong palate, unless maybe you live in a med state near a very good dispensary, but otherwise i have a very hard time believing you have the experience with well grown, well manicured, and well cured cannabis to consider yourself any kind of judge of the subtleties of pot...

DrFever

Veteran
Proper drying and curing will also ensure maximum potency of the marijuana you have grown. Marijuana is not potent just after harvest. Some of the THC is in a non-psychoactive acidic form. Drying marijuana the right way will convert the non-psychoactive acidic compounds into psychoactive THC.

The aim of what you are doing is evenly finishing the slow dry process, so that mold will not grow when the buds are stored long term. Also, by the end of the cure, any remaining inactive THC will be converted to active THC (that increases potency).

Granger2

Veteran
Also, if it is less harsh, you can take bigger hits w/o coughing. So you get higher even if the potency is the same. -granger

Lucky 7

You have to cure pot for at least 2 months to enjoy full potency . . . . years of experience & reading forums bring me to this conclusion. If you don't let it set & convert/exchange for oxygen atoms you'll not be enjoying the full potential of your hard work.

Naturally, as the metabolic processes continue during curing, the conversion of cannabergerol to tetrahydrocannabinol will continue and the potency of the pot will increase. This is because cannabergerol (CBG) is the non-psychoactive precursor for tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). Of course, the exact change in THC content will necessarily be dependant upon the concentration of CBG in the fresh material at harvest. Of course any remaining precursors necessary to form additional cannabidiol (CBD) and other cannabinoids will also be consumed and converted.

Be aware though if curing is excessively prolonged (most connoisseurs would agree after 6 months no more benefit could be had from curing), the conversion of THC to non-psychoactive cannabinol (CBN) will occur. The exact rate of decomposition can vary widely depending on handling and storage conditions, but can be less than 10% to greater than 40% decomposition per year.

Make no mistake, cured bud is STRONGER

Last edited:

Incognegro

I rarely have time to cure bud..when i do it cures for quite some time....because i simply forget about it, not smoking at the time, or simply smoking other stuff. most stuff i smoke is not cured....hell my customers won't let me cure my product...they're too in love with it and are always anxious to get more....

Lucky 7

I gotta call bullsh*t here . . . . any respected grower can tell you cured bud is better. I recall a young dude turning me onto some Santa Cruz stuff last time I was there . . .

"This sh*t's so fresh it's still moist!"

Well, I said nothing and enjoyed the fresh doob as it did chase away the jet lag I felt. It was so moist 'cause the seller had hit it with moisture to make the bag heavier or it was in fact uncured; either way it was good, but would've been much better if let stand for at least a month . . . that's just the freakin way it is Bro . . .

So don't try to sell me yer uncured bud man . . . step up your game dude.

Incognegro

?? Wow really?

Ok. You have your way of doing things I have mine... 1 week is sufficient in majority of my cases, some prefer a longer cure...at least my connoisseurs do.. but for the most part 1 week. If you cure yours for longer on a regular basis, more power to ya... don't knock me for my way though.

I properly flush all my product and properly dry them...just cure time is not as long as i'd like, like i said a week... some growers prefer 3-4...to each his own. Don't like it move on. :tiphat:

vein5

I wont touch bud that is not cured. I grow my own bud bc so many people grow just to make money. They harvest too early, dont flush, dont dry it, and dont cure it. If im smoking, im smoking the best of the best.

Z

Ziggaro

I'm allergic to uncured buds. No, seriously!
I sneeze uncontrollably if I smoke fresh buds. A few weeks of curing and it goes away :)

I could always dry a plant, cure 3 others, smoke a jar of cured stuff each month and determine whether or not curing/waiting longer is worth it after smoking the jar cured for 3 months.

mr.brunch

Veteran
the resin on the buds is always better after a cure... hardened, not so sticky. doesnt the thc lose a water molecule during the curing process making it more active?
sure i read this somewhere

Stonefree69

Veg & Flower Station keeper
Veteran
No flush, proper cure or decarb. As far as hydro is concerned, flushing's in Queens, NY and for toilets. I change my res 1x/week and top off w/RO water. Trying to stay in ballpark figure on how much nutes to add during different stages of growth - if pH rises there's likely too much nutes, if pH lowers I know plants can use more. KISS.

Shanesledge

cured weed is not stronger, it just tastes smoother...there is no way for additional thc to enter the jar, some people surmise that because every time you open the jar a tiny amount of moisture leaves that your cured weed is actually getting a little better over time because the ratio of resin to leaf/moisture goes up a teany tiny bit...i personally think thats bs, cause in theory you could dry half your bag all the way till it's dust, and the other half slow cure it...the slow cure wouldn't by that argument get any better than the non cured resin to leaf wise...

cured weed starts to undergo a process of oxidation and carboxilation, the weed slowly becomes psychoactive without heat... just time...certain chemicals turn into other chemicals. in reality no street weed is ever cured, and the average person can't tell the difference between my buddies bud, grown from the same clones as mine, but jarred for 4-6 months vs mine which never lasts more than 2 weeks...we can tell the difference because we have honed our smoking skills after not smoking harsh street weed in so long... and we acknowledge that the difference is very hard to tell...however your average pot smoker in a non med state can't tell the difference between cured and uncured weed...they might think they could but in a blind survey they would be hopeless...it would be like being a wine connoisseur, who has only tried franzia and cheep gallon jugs of wino brands...you can't exactly hone your skills on cheep swill and then apply it to rare bottles of old treasured wine...

i'm no chemist but the way i have had it explained is when you smoke weed, the heat from the flame activates the psychoactive properties of the pot, that aren't there in weeds raw form. with really really old bud, weed that's been cured a year or longer even, a large amount of those chemicals have already become psychoactive... so that means that while you may burn the weed up and inhale it, if most of the thc isn't psychoactive before you light it, a small amount will make it to your lungs without being heated enough to become psychoactive...so a small amount gets wasted depending on how you heat your weed...

but if the weed has already been in a jar for 2 years, or was carboxolised in the oven ahead of time, then most of the chemicals in the weed are already psychoactive before you start smoking it, so it doesn't require additional heating to become psychoactive...meaning almost all of the thc inhaled will be active whether it is heated sufficiently or not...vs the fresh weed where a small amount of the thc could still be inactive as it's being inhaled...

in that sense cured weed could be stronger but heating a bowl and smoking does a pretty good job of caboxolizing and activating the thc anyway so the difference between the two would be very small...

the differences overall between cured and uncured weed are very subtle, and mostly have to do with smoothness, terpenes slowly change as they oxidize, so flavors change, and the chemical makeup alters, so the type of high gradually changes, but these are the types of things noticed by connoisseur not laymen...

sure everybody likes a fancy bottle of wine, but could the average person tell it apart from a similar cheep bottle? does that make them enjoy it any less? of course not and it shouldn't...there is nothing wrong with buying something high end now and then and enjoying it, as long as you are honest with yourself about your ability to fully enjoy its subtleties, and aren't blowing money hand over fist on expensive products that you can't distinguish from cheep ones...

you don't have to be a connoisseur to enjoy pot, and not everybody is born with a palate that would qualify them as a connoisseur...i would imagine most in fact are not...i have also observed way too many people smoking with hemp strings and cleaning their pipes every time they use them, people that couldn't tell the difference between diesel and skunk...ego comes in here big time...everybody wants to be the guy who can take one whiff and tell you exactly what it is and how well it was made...thats just not how it works though and most people would be better off if they were honest with themselves about their floral handicaps...rather than trying to be the cool guy...

and finally, if you don't grow your own(sadly most of the people on this site nowadays), then you almost assuredly have not had enough exposure to super premium grade pot to work on a strong palate, unless maybe you live in a med state near a very good dispensary, but otherwise i have a very hard time believing you have the experience with well grown, well manicured, and well cured cannabis to consider yourself any kind of judge of the subtleties of pot...

YOU ARE SO FUCKING PRETENTIOUS AND WRONG AND I CANT BELIEVE I ACTUALLY READ ALL OF THAT

DO YOU THINK YOU ARE THE WEED MASTER YOU RETARDED FUCK
HOLY SHIT
I know you won't ever see this because you haven't posted in two years, but I made an account just to tell that you sound super condescending and autistic.
you are a 16 year old who believes himself to be a professional weed connoisseur.
fuck you dude. fuck you for making me make an account 2 years later.

browntrout

Veteran
Seem's to take the "edge" off fresh bud and bring a more complex and sometimes mind-numbing stone that wasn't there before.

Strains I have found to be exponentially better with age included Kc33 and true Afghans or afghan crosses. I have a feeling this BB I have is going to be 10x better cured too.

Some strains I would almost prefer fresh and more so indoor. I've cured some fresh indoor and it seems to lose it's smell/taste..

BT

Mike D

IMHO curing for a min. Of 14 days is a must but I prefer to get a full 6 weeks. Once the dry produces
A 50% hygro reading it starts cure time. Once under 40% all curing stops. That moisture is needed to convert to its psychoactive form if your not curing your missing the best properties of your grow