What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Outdoor security

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
It got a second one.
You are sure it is a fox? That sounds crazy a fox can do that.

wtf.gif

Satyros

It must be conceivable because it did happen. That's why I'm so perplexed.

What kind of traps? I do not want to hurt any innocent animals.

Well, it was inconceivable to me that the plant could go away with no sign of disturbance.

Since it's not a human, I'll withdraw the prior line of thought.

Foxes are really clever and devious, however, them swiping an entire large cannabis is new to me.

You can get humane/non-kill box traps for them; even that may not work very soon. They will be suspicious of any new object no matter the bait. If it's a legal state, you may be ok with getting help from animal control, which might just be a box trap.

They have a high incidence of rabies, and if seen in the day, that is an almost sure sign of it. Such animals are usually put down; I agree with not killing them in general, but if rabid, it's usually considered necessary.

Really difficult to stop them even with a fence or wall they could still dig, and, even though they mostly hunt meat, for some reason they like your plants. Blood meal or other animal ingredients may have something to do with it.

Hoypare.

Fox don't steal or eat plants,i watched dozens of clips of different fox walking through a plot of plants a few days ago from a cam we have on site,none of them showed even the least bit of interest in the plants.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
420giveaway
Yeah. No way in Hell a fox took a six foot plant.
If it did , how would it drag it away with no trail or sign of disturbance?
Fox are smart and very careful, based on my experience trapping when I was a teenager and it would be very unusual to catch one in a box trap.

I appreciate all of the feedback and opinions. Thank you.

Everything was good today.I'm about to check the trail cam.

I think Satyros may be onto something. I've been top dressing with blood meal since I have never had an issue with it before. I wonder if that has something.

Hoypare, not sure if it matters, but my fox is way bigger than the one in your picture. They eat lots. Of fruit and berries around my parts.

I've looked for tracks if anything possibly coming in. It would be almost impossible to get a plan in and out by a person without some type of trail or marks.

Let me add that it would be borderline impossible for a human to get the plant out of my cage without having to cut it. The cage was not disturbed.

Still a possible mystery.

Hoypare.

Hoypare, not sure if it matters, but my fox is way bigger than the one in your picture. They eat lots. Of fruit and berries around my parts.
If yours is a red fox (vulpes vulpes) whichever country you get them in they are all roughly the same size,the one i photographed is a young one in summer,and yup they eat berries here to,but not cannabis plants :tiphat:

If yours is a red fox (vulpes vulpes) whichever country you get them in they are all roughly the same size,the one i photographed is a young one in summer,and yup they eat berries here to,but not cannabis plants :tiphat:

Hoypare, it sounds like you think it was a human?How would you handle it from here if there were more plants at the spot?

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I bet I could get a plant out without disturbing the cage.

Post a picture of the stump. If there isn't one, brush away the earth and I bet you'll find a nice clean cut of a knife.

Years ago a buddy 's father had a camera flash hooked up in his car port. Show up at night and you think you're on candid camera. Scared the shit out of us, and we even knew it was fake.

igrowone

Veteran
I bet I could get a plant out without disturbing the cage.

Post a picture of the stump. If there isn't one, brush away the earth and I bet you'll find a nice clean cut of a knife.

Years ago a buddy 's father had a camera flash hooked up in his car port. Show up at night and you think you're on candid camera. Scared the shit out of us, and we even knew it was fake.

been following this mystery
this is likely the winning answer, which brings you to dealing with the most dangerous animal of them all

CrushnYuba

Game cameras are cool. You can get them on eBay cheap.
I personally don't really do anything. I have game cameras to see if anyone trespasses, but they aren't even in my garden. Sounds like hooligan kids to me. The way i think about it is how much can someone really steal from a living plant on foot? Harvesting is hard work. No one can get a truck up to my garden. You can't carry much walking.
Grow bigger plants.

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Reminds me of a grow...

Reminds me of a grow...

Reminds me of a grow 40 years ago.. (1977)

We had probably 100 six foot tall immature plants growing in the inner city.

Woke up one morning and they were all gone.

No Wild animals here, it was rippers. On the corner of Crenshaw and Pico in Los Angeles.

Nothing we could do but laugh. Big beautiful immature mixed plants from bag seed.

They were worthless, we were hippies and didn't care. We were breaking down pounds for sale.

We just rolled up a fatty or ten and laughed

:party:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Game cameras are cool. You can get them on eBay cheap.
I personally don't really do anything. I have game cameras to see if anyone trespasses, but they aren't even in my garden. Sounds like hooligan kids to me. The way i think about it is how much can someone really steal from a living plant on foot? Harvesting is hard work. No one can get a truck up to my garden. You can't carry much walking.
Grow bigger plants.

But go back with garden shears and a duffle bag and you can walk out with all the color.

CrushnYuba

But go back with garden shears and a duffle bag and you can walk out with all the color.

You cant fit much in a duffel bag. Especially without bucking it off the stem. Maybe a lb or 2.

I can't move a POTTED full season plant this late in the year with friends and machinery. How could someone take something that's in the ground without people noticing.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
How about 150 wet pounds. I can debuck a branch in under 1 second. Give me 15 minutes in a garden and I'll strip the cheddar off 10 plants and haul it away in my goalie bag. I'll leave the popcorn for you.

Mini camera
[iframe1]G8qxo0Klcww[/iframe1]