What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How do the 90s and early 2000s elites stack up to today’s hype strains?

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G6VBD1g.jpg

I'm not disputing who bred what where. I'm just theorising that good cannabis originated from long lines of genetics that have been lovingly selected for centuries, maybe longer. The breeders in the US didn't wave a wand and these heirloom strains appeared from 2 swag parents. They simply benefited from other people's work as have others today from the US breeders work. And so it goes.

Yeah, if you wanna get super reductive about everything, then you can’t attribute anything to anything. What’s the point of that?

I was also clarifying that calling them Dutch strains is completely wrong and indicates an ignorance of where they came from.

mr.brunch

Veteran
420giveaway
Ameridutch.
America sent the good genetics, the Dutch grew them out in their thousands to sell to the coffeeshops and selectively bred them.
Collaboration, is the key.

green404

In the 90s the Dutch had one of the only semi legal environment which attracted many breeders from around the globe. It was the leading place of breeding, experiments and development in the 90s.

Most of the popular and famous strains in the 90s came from Amsterdam and just got called other names like Kush, Bubba Kush, Thunder F@ck, when they hit the illegal markets. They also got wrapped in stories of An old grower deep in the hills, Snoop Dogs personal, Secret Gov lab, Only passed down to the ____ family,
The reality of it was a hippy ordered seeds from the back of hightimes or flew to Amsterdam and grew some Skunk1, NL, then made up names and stories. Low grade underground marketing.

Do I miss weed in the 90s ? Not at all. I love knowing where a strain really comes from.

Muleskinner

Veteran
Why quibble between Netherlands and USA? Who cares. I wish I was in Holland right now (instead of Communist Republic of Massachusetts), what a beautiful country with cool people.

But to be historically accurate most of the big strains like NL and Skunk were bred in west coast USA and then went to Holland where seed banks could openly sell them in the 80's and 90's. that's my understanding - we have Sam the Skunkman on this website....if it really bothers you....go ask him. :biggrin:

Mate I never mentioned Dutch strains at all. I give up. :deadhorse

I know you didn’t. My initial post was in response to the dude saying the strains were Dutch.

You then responded to me with the completely reductive “well they were all landraces...so...” which is totally reductive reasoning that can be repeated ad infinitum and render everything meaningless. It also fails to appreciate how much work it takes working with landraces to make anything worthwhile to grow.

Burt

Veteran
Holland’s attitude at the time allowed proper breeding to be done with USA sourced genetic material so let’s give them credit for selections made with 10-50,000 specimen count fields.
This allowed countless growers to find their own keepers and advance the lines even further via seed purchases
Imagine what we could accomplish together in a legal environment.
I’m excited about the possibilities

Som 2

Why quibble between Netherlands and USA? Who cares. I wish I was in Holland right now (instead of Communist Republic of Massachusetts), what a beautiful country with cool people.
It is like Game of Thrones. Is is a British show? An American show? Something else? As long as it is good, who cares.

HalfArsedFarmer

Holland’s attitude at the time allowed proper breeding to be done with USA sourced genetic material so let’s give them credit for selections made with 10-50,000 specimen count fields.
This allowed countless growers to find their own keepers and advance the lines even further via seed purchases
Imagine what we could accomplish together in a legal environment.
I’m excited about the possibilities

Nail on head Burt.

The Dutch along with a few folks from the USA & Aussies as well as a few other nationalities took the best from the US and worked them in Holland while crossing them to other land race cultivars that were collected from around the world as well as other hybrids.

This whole everything came from the US is ignorant to say the least. Without a doubt the US has contributed some top notch cultivars but so have many other places.

MedResearcher

Veteran
Most of the popular and famous strains in the 90s came from Amsterdam and just got called other names like Kush, Bubba Kush, Thunder F@ck, when they hit the illegal markets.

A handful of breeders fled to Amsterdam and started seed companies. Do you think the entire US canna industry stopped growing and breeding as soon as a couple people left? While people in Amsterdam worked lines, people all over the world worked lines, just like they are still doing today all over the world. To think all the worlds genetics made a stop in Amsterdam is very naive. A few breeders from Cali brought their stock to Amsterdam.

White Widow, from Amsterdam. Bubba Kush... highly doubt it, they are using S'1s sent through the mail. Ask someone from the dam, if they smoked Bubba in the coffee shops during the 90s.

Many of the great genetics coming out of California are attributed from the surf culture. Surfers traveled the globe chasing the best breaks smoking canna with locals and collecting seed. They returned to Cali, and traveled up and down the coast chasing breaks. All the while smoking, buying, trading, growing, canna. Then you have the beatnik, hippies traveling and moving into Humboldt. Another key component was Russia invading Afghanistan, and US troops deploying, sending seed back to their relatives and friends.

Amsterdam was a small pit stop for "some" genetics, and was a interesting and cool place since it was quasi legal.

Kush refers to the Hindu Kush mountain range. Someone didn't take a skunk hybrid from Amsterdam and make up the name Kush for it. Only lately has it become a generic term for good weed, or anything that may have some OG in lineage in it.

I knew a local crew that grew outrageous Hindu Kush in the 90s. The pure Hindu, not Hindu x Skunk. It was insanely hash'y and very expansive smoke. Was really divine. I recall having a bad cough for a good week or two, ended up getting my hands on a batch of the Hindu Kush. One single hit, from a pipe, the smoke expanded, I instantly blew up coughing. A huge gross chunk of phlegm projectile shot out of my throat and mouth. Instantly my cough was gone, and I felt 100% better. That expando!

Mr^^

PDX Dopesmoker

Why quibble between Netherlands and USA?:

Europeans all have massive inferiority complexes with respect to America because of the course of history over the past 150 years and because their continent has become little more than a Europe themed amusement park for American tourists. Irrational hated from their quarter is par for the course as a result.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This reminds me of the "music were butter in them old days" thread.

There was crap then as there is crap now. With time you only remember the gems.

I'd stab most of you for a cut of GMO/Garlic.

Europeans all have massive inferiority complexes with respect to America because of the course of history over the past 150 years and because their continent has become little more than a Europe themed amusement park for American tourists. Irrational hated from their quarter is par for the course as a result.

Culturally we have always followed Europe. It is only in the past few decades we have exported.

American's have been making asses of themselves abroad for much longer. Mark Twain wrote a book on it.

Som 2

Part of it is the goal of the breeding over the last 30 years. Strains have been bred for commercial growers who want customers to buy their product. The emphasis has been on bag appeal, yield and ease of growing indoors. The focus has been on breeding for attractive nuggets that smell and taste good. The nature and quality of the high have taken a back seat. Anyone who grew old sativas knows that modern sativas have had most of the sativa bred out of them because the market doesn't want stringy buds with woody flavors, and growers don't want a three month flower time. Over time we have narrowed the phenotypic bandwidth of cannabis.

Younger smokers in legal states seem to judge cannabis solely by flavor and aroma because the product in the market all tends to have the same generic, indica leaning, hybrid high, even if we give it different labels.

The end result is that we are breeding strains to be more and more like the beefsteak tomato, which checks all the boxes in terms of marketing and grower profit but is a less desirable for the end user than the full palette of heirlooms.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
What was said before that the genetics were send to Holland and that started with Old Ed in 1979, later in 1984 with Sam.Neville started his Seedbank in 1985 till the end of the 80s when Sensi took over the business.

picture.php

picture.php

Typical Dutch varieties was available at Positronics like Viking, First Girl etc.
Another typical Dutch variety is Top44 with the 6 weeks flowering but the effect was very mild compared to the introduction of White Widow in 1994-1995.Later on the Super Silver Haze, Jack Herer etc.Still hot today is Hyprocut Amnesia Hz with the incense aroma, not so strong as the Purple Hz from the early 90s, but i believe that is still be found as the Piff Hz in NY.

gladysvjubb

Veteran
Part of it is the goal of the breeding over the last 30 years. Strains have been bred for commercial growers who want customers to buy their product. The emphasis has been on bag appeal, yield and ease of growing indoors. The focus has been on breeding for attractive nuggets that smell and taste good. The nature and quality of the high have taken a back seat. Anyone who grew old sativas knows that modern sativas have had most of the sativa bred out of them because the market doesn't want stringy buds with woody flavors, and growers don't want a three month flower time. Over time we have narrowed the phenotypic bandwidth of cannabis.

Younger smokers in legal states seem to judge cannabis solely by flavor and aroma because the product in the market all tends to have the same generic, indica leaning, hybrid high, even if we give it different labels.

The end result is that we are breeding strains to be more and more like the beefsteak tomato, which checks all the boxes in terms of marketing and grower profit but is a less desirable for the end user than the full palette of heirlooms.

I couldn't agree with you more.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
skunk
northern lights
haze

are dutch. most of the building blocks of cannabis today were also bred by the dutch. blueberry being the exception.
:laughing::moon::laughing::moon::laughing:

Your research is missing a few years.
Where did Sam and his friends develop HAZE?
In California!
Where did Seattle Greg develop Northern Lights?
Washington State
Where did SAM THE SKUNKMAN move to europe from after developing SKUNK?
That's right again... CALIFORNIA!

All on opposite sides of the globe from Amsterdamn and the Dutch cannabis scene.

How can you NOT know this?
You've been around for years!