What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Aero vs dwc grow showdown

Here's a look at how frosty the Orange glue #6 is getting in dwc. Definitely gonna be some fire!
picture.php

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
So maintenance differences between multi tote dwc vs aero with control bucket is worth talking about. With the outside the tent control bucket, aero wins hands down for maintenance. The blue lab constant monitor display feels almost like cheating. Popping tote lids and dumping 5 gallon buckets is a pain in the ass with big plants in bloom. I usually wind up covered in resin. The easier way to do this is to use a big bucket outside the tent and a small pump to transfer water to totes in the tent. Neither method for dwc is easier than an outside control bucket. I want to play with undercurrent, but that amount of water circulating makes me a little leary as I don't have a floor drain.... That volume of water could do some damage. Anyhow back to maintenance. The longest I can go with not topping off dwc totes is 2 to 4 weeks depending on growth stage. The trick with that is using minimal ppm for feeding. Overfeeding can lead to ph and ppm fluctuations and lockout issues when plants drink less than they eat. Aeroponics on a 4x4 table with a 27g res can only go for 3 days before needing 5 to 10 gallons of water added.

WISDOM

I have developed a twist on aero that many could find helpful

see my sig for the link

Week 6 has came and went. The girls are getting top heavy! Branches are bending and falling over. The plan is to cut some aluminum fence material and hang it up as a late bloom scrog net. The hulk smash plants seem to favor the og side of the family. Lots of golf ball nugs with space between them. Amazing density though! Hulk smash number 4 really smells of limes with a hint of funk. I'm glad I took a cutting of her and given her a second chance. Zero nanners or hermie issues this time. Orange glues are the biggest looking plants in the tent this go around. Orange glue #2 is my favorite. She has the best density, vigor, and smells like Orange and fruity pebbles right now. Only downside with her is a 3 or 4 nanners showed up in week 6 this time. Minor issue in my opinion. The Orange glues are starting to fade already. Purple and red hues are showing up more and more on the leaves and calyxes. They may finish up by week 8 but I'll run them a little longer to let some amber tricomes get in the game. Here's how the ladies look as of 2 days ago.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

v1ru5

I'd say no to installing any kind netting at this point, this far into flower.

Next time.

Orange glue #1 week 7 and change in arroponics. Flushing has started. The tent smells like a skunks den! Calyxes are swelling and everything is sticky.

picture.php

Part way through week 8! I opened the tent last night and everything in the aero table fell over with bent stems. So I waited up a support grid with plant tie wire. I got coated in resin in the process. 99% Isopropryl alchohol and a paper towel is great for making yourself un sticky ha ha. Aside from that the girls are doing well, they are fading beautifully in the aero table. It also seems to me that the aero table is maturing slightly faster. Not sure why, but it that's what is happening. The orange glue are filling out and look to smoke the yields I got last time with them. Hulk smashes will probably yield about the same or maybe a little lighter. Hard to tell as they are rock solid and are growing og style golf ball nugs. Pictured below is the orange glue ladies in the aero table, and the single bud is orange glue #6 in dwc.

picture.php

picture.php

So here is the other side of the tent! I believe the dwc side deserves some credit for doing well. Here is how they are looking:

From left to right : orange glue #1, orange glue #6, and orange glue #2
picture.php

Hulk smash #10
picture.php

Very Good thread Frozen Fire,nice hydroponic lesson ...Very interesting your quality cannabis,and the OrangeGlue #6 phenotype are too good....bye from italy ;-)

Fabietto83s thanks for stopping by! I do my best to give the ladies what they like. Half my family has roots in Italy, I believe from the Naples area. With any luck I'll make a trip there... I would love to get some home made grappa one of these days!

Ok peeps in the c99 fashion she decided to finish first! Day 55 of bloom and she is solid cloudy tricomes with a few amber tricomes as well. She has been chopped and is hanging in the drying tent. I believe the next plants to come down will be the orange glues.

As this grow comes to a close, there is no clear winner. Both methods are very different tools. I think the table is a great method for running sog style grows. Dwc is bad ass for growing large plants. Yield numbers will be shared once harvest has been finished. My bet is on the aero table due to the orange glues that decided to get big this round.

The next trip through bloom will be aeroponics and possibly something else yet to be determined. The aero side will be done with a lesser plant count and some scrogging.

Here's how that c99 turned out!

picture.php

In honor of 420, I went through the tent with an axe. Everything has been chopped and is hanging. The aeroponics table has performed rather well. Function wise it's a breeze to operate and it produces quality results. I am expecting a round a pound off of the 4x4 table. I'll have to do some guess work as I'm turning 2 plants that were in the table into fresh frozen concentrates. I'll provide total weight on the table. If anyone is interested in certain plant weights, just ask. Speaking of particular plants , the gamble on hulk smash #4 came up a phenomenal. It got trimmed and turned into fresh frozen bho. I saved a branch to dry and cure for sampling and lab testing for Terps and potency. She smells like sticking your nose in a bag of grape big league chew bubblegum!!! She is hands down the best smelling plant I have ever grown. Tangerine kush has been dethroned. She dressed out to 4.5 oz wet after trimming. She turned into 6.5 grams of beautiful concentrate. She isn't super stable shatter, but close. When cold it snaps, but as it warms up it gets pliable and sappy sticky. Other lab testing to be done will be hulk smash #10 both dwc and aero, orange glue #2 aero, orange glue #6 dwc. I'll post some pics later when I get a chance.

Last edited:

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
Good stuff

Good stuff

I like seeing the comparisons, it's the way we learn. I have never done an aeroponic grow but it's the only way I clone. Do you run the grow cool or have a chiller for the water? I need to give it a go. I got a keeper Cindy 99 from brothers Grimm and found some greats in their Durban poison x Cindy 99. Really frosty with the super fruity smell. The concentrate has ruined me.

No testing on c99 this round. Two tests prior out her between 18 and a little over 19% thc. I don't run a chiller. Tent temps range between 78 and 83 degrees fairenheight. Root zone is in the upper 60's, rez temp stays between 62 and 63 degrees. I agree c99 makes some wicked concentrates. Without winterizing the one batch I had tested came in just over 75% thc. Oops that was the tangerine kush bho that got tested. I really do need to winterize a batch and see how high I can push the thc numbers. With my basic setup I'm pretty sure i can get close or surpass the 80% thc mark. Time will tell.

I love messing with things, and I love trying different methods of growing. Currently im waiting on my strawberries to get here. My better half wants me to grow some strawberries in the kitchen. Currently I'm getting ready to stick a blueberry plant in a dwc bucket and possibly a coffee plant too. The strawberries will get a hanging gutter nft setup in one of the floor to ceiling dining room windows. Its gonna be fun!