What's new

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Sure feminized seeds can be found. Standard seeds however will result in a hybrid since NL#5 was a clone only.

igrowone

Veteran
lots of info on this famous breed
some say clone, others talk of seeds
the famous nl#5 came the BCSC seed bank, still does but doesn't sound like the seed of old
i grew out some from a breeder(HGS), and it was good, very spot on with what it was reputed to be
but was it 'real'? dunno

Tynehead Tom

Northern Lights #5 came north from the states to canada in the late 80's, early 90's in a custom harley davidson fuel tank. My info traces it back to portland oregon where the guy who brought it back here got it from. I'm sure others brought the cut up here too but whatever came from BCSC was not the clone we were all growing way back when.

I've heard good things about the NL beans availlable at Peak seeds but haven't grown any myself.
I grew the NL5 for many years and did a shit tonne of breeding with it. I can tell you this much, there was no seeds availlable back then save for the original group that grew a small number of seeds and named the lines northern lights. Mr Nice comes to mind.

Spongerob

Tynehead Tom. Thanks for your input. I am a long time reader of this site but I don't post much. You sir contribute a great deal. As a Canuck I love hearing your input and your stories from back in the day. Thank you!

Tynehead Tom

Tynehead Tom. Thanks for your input. I am a long time reader of this site but I don't post much. You sir contribute a great deal. As a Canuck I love hearing your input and your stories from back in the day. Thank you!

glad it is appreciated. I'm just one guy tho and will be the first to say that what info i recall and pass on should always be taken with a grain of salt ;) I do notice that there aren't many Canadian growers posting here that experienced the 80's and 90's grow scene. I was pretty fortunate to be raised in BC's weed growing community from a fairly young age.

igrowone

Veteran
and this does illustrate well how names can be confusing
much of NL lore does talk about the NL lines being clones from the north west
and after this BCSC made a name for its nl#5 seeds, wouldn't be the first time a breeder grabs a name they like and make it 'theirs'
they had quite a following for a while, rave smoke reports out there
but what genetics were used? not so clear

Tynehead Tom

and this does illustrate well how names can be confusing
much of NL lore does talk about the NL lines being clones from the north west
and after this BCSC made a name for its nl#5 seeds, wouldn't be the first time a breeder grabs a name they like and make it 'theirs'
they had quite a following for a while, rave smoke reports out there
but what genetics were used? not so clear

be interesting to get the approximate year BCSC first offered thier seedline. Anyone in BC in the 90's and early 2000's could have gotten the NL5 cut. It was spread far and wide and by the very early 2000's it was starting to become obsolete.

common sense, or a darn good guess , would tell me that BCSC , like many others including myself, started thier NL breeding with that cut.

GoatCheese

Veteran
I think BCSC crossed other NL-lines to the NL5 clone. According to some info they used Dutch Passion's Oasis.
:)

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
I grew NL#5 from BCSC and it was only OK... Northern lights was once a real standout strain, but that was 25 years ago, now it is just "old school" and not in a good way, there is a lot of far more interesting strains on the market now.

I took some to the 420 and literally could not give it away, ended up bringing it back home

GoatCheese

Veteran
Untrue NL#5 is clone only though not many people in the world can tell you what the original NL#5 Nevil held over 20 years ago is like.

The NL5 clone from USA is different cut than Nevil's NL5.
NL5 is Afghani x Hawaiian

You can find nice posts By Nevil in this thread. In the last post on this page he tells how he went and got the US NL5.

questions for Nevil on afghani and kush lines (the other grail!)
http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/4-talk-s...-nevil-afghani-kush-lines-other-grail-11.html

You can find many posts By NL Seattle Greg about NL lines in this thread, who apparently is the guy who created the NLs

Northern lights#1 vs. northern lights #5
http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/6-breeders-support-information/12611-northern-lights-1-vs-northern-lights-5-a-6.html
:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts