What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Something wicked this way comes

C.O.B.

Hello newguy. The lip of the tailpiece should nestle around the edge of the bottom of the plant bucket. I have that tailpiece in a 3.5 gal bucket stacked on another. Drill the hole the size of the tube and the lip will catch the bottom of the bucket. It just drops in no attachments needed. The attachments were for the bigger 3" tailpieces. Hope this helps. I'm sure the vets will be here to assist.

Peace.

Just saw this part. Sorry I speed read it.
"Im not sure how to attach the tailpiece to my bucket. Do i just drill a 1.5-inch hole in the bottom of the bucket and push the tailpiece through and let is hang from the flange and thats it?? No screws or glue at all just let gravity let the tailpiece hang in the hole via flange?"

Yes exactly!

Peace.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
hey delta9nxs hoping you can help me out with something here?

So im using 2 gallon buckets stacked as PPK sites. I have 1.5-inch tailpieces that I got from HD and am trying to figure out how you attach them. I found a cleanout adapter and a male adapter at HD and figured i could use them to affix the tailpiece to the bucket. here are some pics:
View Image
View Image
View Image

at first, i thought i was onto something. then i realized the top male adapter piece that would be sitting in the top bucket would probably be creating a Perched water table of about an inch right?? so should i definitely stay away from using these cleanout adapters and male adapter??

Im not sure how to attach the tailpiece to my bucket. Do i just drill a 1.5-inch hole in the bottom of the bucket and push the tailpiece through and let is hang from the flange and thats it?? No screws or glue at all just let gravity let the tailpiece hang in the hole via flange?

EDIT: JUST SMOKED A BOWL AND THOUGHT I MIGHT BE OVERTHINKING THINGS. MAYBE I SHOULD JUST KEEP IT SIMPLE AND DROP THE TAILPIECE INTO 1.5 INCH HOLE OF BUCKET. AND TURN MY CLEANOUT ADAPTER UPSIDE DOWN AND SCREW IT TO THE TAIL PIECE SO THE TAILPIECE CANT WIGGLE WHILE INSIDE THE TOP BUCKET? LIKE SO:

View Image
View Image

should i just screw my cleanout adapter into the tailpiece to give it a tight fit with the bucket like the last two pictures (plate is bottom of the bucket)??

all you do is drill a 1.5" hole in the bucket with a 1.5" hole saw on a drill. drill a 1/8" pilot hole first to keep it centered. then just push it through the hole from the inside. some folks glue it with a bead of "amazing goop" glue. some don't.

for the bottom use plastic vent screen from lowes or pet screen that is sold near the regular window screen. it has a larger mesh size than insect screen.

i cut out about a 6" square of screen and fasten it with a 8" zip tie about 3/8" from the end of the tube. then run a bead of glue around the zip tie and it won't slip off.

this one in the picture is black but identical to the white ones.

editing to say that when the glue has dried you trim off the excess screen to make easy to clear the 2-2.5" hole you should make in the lid of the bottom bucket.

also, you should have separate reservoirs for your veg and flower areas as it will be easier for you to manage nutrients and ph.

Attachments

• 12-9-14 (3).jpg
    12-9-14 (3).jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 28
all you do is drill a 1.5" hole in the bucket with a 1.5" hole saw on a drill. drill a 1/8" pilot hole first to keep it centered. then just push it through the hole from the inside. some folks glue it with a bead of "amazing goop" glue. some don't.

for the bottom use plastic vent screen from lowes or pet screen that is sold near the regular window screen. it has a larger mesh size than insect screen.

i cut out about a 6" square of screen and fasten it with a 8" zip tie about 3/8" from the end of the tube. then run a bead of glue around the zip tie and it won't slip off.

this one in the picture is black but identical to the white ones.

editing to say that when the glue has dried you trim off the excess screen to make easy to clear the 2-2.5" hole you should make in the lid of the bottom bucket.

also, you should have separate reservoirs for your veg and flower areas as it will be easier for you to manage nutrients and ph.
thanks for your help i feel kind of silly now reading your simple way of doing it lol.

one question: about your last statement (that i should have separate reservoirs for my veg and flower). Remember, I plan to have a control bucket outside of my grow room and it will be plumbed through the wall into the grow rooms. However, are you saying i should have two control buckets? one for veg and one for flower so each bucket's PPM and pH could be slightly different if need be?

I plan to have 4 plants in flower and maybe another 4 in veg room. Should I do two pumps in ONE control bucket or two separate buckets with two separate pumps? thanks again brotha!

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
thanks for your help i feel kind of silly now reading your simple way of doing it lol.

one question: about your last statement (that i should have separate reservoirs for my veg and flower). Remember, I plan to have a control bucket outside of my grow room and it will be plumbed through the wall into the grow rooms. However, are you saying i should have two control buckets? one for veg and one for flower so each bucket's PPM and pH could be slightly different if need be?

I plan to have 4 plants in flower and maybe another 4 in veg room. Should I do two pumps in ONE control bucket or two separate buckets with two separate pumps? thanks again brotha!

you will need two separate recirculating reservoirs, one for the flower system and one for the veg system. since your 2 gal bottom buckets are 9.6" high you can use a 5" water level to achieve nearly a 4" air gap. but you will need small totes that are wide and flat to get enough water volume to not starve the pumps. i would suggest the 10 gal rubbermaid totes.

put a 500 gph mag drive pump in each tote.

i know you see me here running an entire building from one reservoir but that is experimental and i have lots of experience managing reservoirs. you will find management easier with two.

you really should have a separate elevated volume/mixing tank for each reservoir. this will allow you to steer the solution if necessary.

during the vegetative cycle the nutrient strength will be pulled down in strength and during flower the nutrients will tend to accumulate.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
hey, newguy, have you already bought the pumps? if not why don't you add another 2 gal bucket at each site and build a smaller version of what i'm doing here? put a small pump at each site.

two of the 500 gph mag drives cost about $150. the highest i have paid for the eco 185's is 15 bucks each so it would actually be less expensive to buy 8 of those.

it would be easier to plumb and control as you won't need valves. just a simple repeat cycle timer.

hey, newguy, have you already bought the pumps? if not why don't you add another 2 gal bucket at each site and build a smaller version of what i'm doing here? put a small pump at each site.

two of the 500 gph mag drives cost about $150. the highest i have paid for the eco 185's is 15 bucks each so it would actually be less expensive to buy 8 of those.

it would be easier to plumb and control as you won't need valves. just a simple repeat cycle timer.
No, i haven't bought my pumps yet. I'm glad you mentioned adding 2 gal buckets to each site because thats what i originally wanted to do. But you had made a comment that i probably shouldn't because of my limited space. And since you are the pioneer of PPK I just took your word for it and decided i will just use a central reservoir with a single pump or two feeding multiple sites. But if you think I can add 2 gallon buckets without hindering my grow I am absolutely all for the idea of having more liquid volume in my system, less installation headache, and needing weaker less expensive pumps! I doubt the addition of 2 gallon buckets would get in the way as I plan to run SCROG. Worse case scenario is i "might need to enter from certain angles" to tuck certain branches into my SCROG. My screen will probably be about 18 inches high off the ground so I dont foresee that being a big deal. Time for me to re-draw my plumbing plans?! :biggrin:

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
No, i haven't bought my pumps yet. I'm glad you mentioned adding 2 gal buckets to each site because thats what i originally wanted to do. But you had made a comment that i probably shouldn't because of my limited space. And since you are the pioneer of PPK I just took your word for it and decided i will just use a central reservoir with a single pump or two feeding multiple sites. But if you think I can add 2 gallon buckets without hindering my grow I am absolutely all for the idea of having more liquid volume in my system, less installation headache, and needing weaker less expensive pumps! I doubt the addition of 2 gallon buckets would get in the way as I plan to run SCROG. Worse case scenario is i "might need to enter from certain angles" to tuck certain branches into my SCROG. My screen will probably be about 18 inches high off the ground so I dont foresee that being a big deal. Time for me to re-draw my plumbing plans?! :biggrin:

you will still need two reservoirs.

C.O.B.

Appears I may be going back down in size. As these 7 gal tuff tubs are massive! Lol I had no idea!. I now have to rethink things. Completed 1 7 gal Ppk unit, sitting next to the 3.5's stacked it,s a beast for real estate in a tent. Hmmm.... Back to the drawing board.

Peace.

Mr Blah

Appears I may be going back down in size. As these 7 gal tuff tubs are massive! Lol I had no idea!. I now have to rethink things. Completed 1 7 gal Ppk unit, sitting next to the 3.5's stacked it,s a beast for real estate in a tent. Hmmm.... Back to the drawing board.

Peace.
I had that same space issue with my vegging tent (4x8).
Ended up with one pump (950gph) and ball valves at each of the 12 sites.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran

Peace.

you know you can put more than one plant in one.

C.O.B.

you know you can put more than one plant in one.

Yessir I do. I actually have 2 just out of solos and into the stacked 3.5's now. No worries, It's going to be put to good use. It just didn't look this wide in my minds eye in the tent when purchasing.
I have a buddy that has the room and space. And after seeing my first Ppk run, he's a bit giddy to run one. He also grows "trees".

Built 3 units. I'll use one to veg a scrogged out 3x3 tent and flip when time. 1 plant scrogged, in a PPK, in a 3x3 under cob led. Lol sounds like a song verse. It'll be nice to just prune,defoil,and tuck when needed. Watch the screen fill in with uniform colas and cut.
Buddy will get one. Will also get two plants maybe 3 plants in the third.
I just know I could get more Ppk sites in my flower tent with the 3.5's than the tubs. But, there will be no need for more sites with couple of few bigger plants you say....right? Right..

I'm still adjusting to the switch. My first run was so easy, I could've vegged it a bit longer. It was my experimental Ppk tester run. Crazy how hands off that plant was. Same diet as it's siblings just not every friggin' day! You rock D9. Thanks man.

Peace.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Yessir I do. I actually have 2 just out of solos and into the stacked 3.5's now. No worries, It's going to be put to good use. It just didn't look this wide in my minds eye in the tent when purchasing.
I have a buddy that has the room and space. And after seeing my first Ppk run, he's a bit giddy to run one. He also grows "trees".

Built 3 units. I'll use one to veg a scrogged out 3x3 tent and flip when time. 1 plant scrogged, in a PPK, in a 3x3 under cob led. Lol sounds like a song verse. It'll be nice to just prune,defoil,and tuck when needed. Watch the screen fill in with uniform colas and cut.
Buddy will get one. Will also get two plants maybe 3 plants in the third.
I just know I could get more Ppk sites in my flower tent with the 3.5's than the tubs. But, there will be no need for more sites with couple of few bigger plants you say....right? Right..

I'm still adjusting to the switch. My first run was so easy, I could've vegged it a bit longer. It was my experimental Ppk tester run. Crazy how hands off that plant was. Same diet as it's siblings just not every friggin' day! You rock D9. Thanks man.

Peace.

thank you for trying it!

Ive found a location for the turface. Just need to know is this the correct one.
i went and bought a bag yesterday. There is a John Deere 2 minute drive away from my house :biggrin: 50 pound bag for onnly 14.20!

And it is no longer called Turface MVP it has been renamed to Turface All Sport. So if you see MVP or All Sport it is the same thing

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
just some random shots of different plants. i'll try to identify them.

1. "lodi dodi" about to be flowered. top of this plant is about 44" off the floor making the plant about 28" high but 45" in diameter. got to be moved soon!

2. "gg4" probably 42-44" in diameter. it will be flowered at the same time as the lodi dodi.

3-4. "ice" pretty sure these are different views of the same plant.

Attachments

• IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 18

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
1. lodi dodi

2. lodi dodi

3. yet another

4. two apple kush a week apart

Attachments

• IMG_0036.jpg
    IMG_0036.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0039.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0041.jpg
    IMG_0041.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 14

gmanwho

Veteran
nice d9, looking nice an compact. whats your thoughts on the running the horizontal de bulbs?

Latest posts

Latest posts