What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis is legal in Cali. how long before home growing is outlawed?

Muleskinner

Veteran
During the planning of these initiatives when people were pushing plant limits language, I tried to point out how futile and stupid that idea is. I liked to ask, how many thousands of people are growing today across the state? How many of them have 6 plants or less? After "legalization of marijuana" passes, do you expect these people to grow more cannabis or less? Do you expect more people to start growing cannabis that weren't growing before?

The math is inevitable. It's important to recognize the #1 reason why cannabis is getting legal - people refused to obey the law. They can spin their wheels all they want on "regulating" and "tracking" and piling on nuisance regs and fees, if they don't get the price of herb down to the real cost - less than $100/oz for outdoor - they will be overgrown.

that is why there's no limit on making alcohol or tobacco at home in most states, with only a federal rule on 200 gallons per household. It's low tax rates on alcohol and easy, widespread retail access that eliminated home brewing and distilling, not some bullshit nanny-state SWAT team meddling in our private homes.

Big Sur

Actually it is illegal to distill booze at home in all 50 states and by the feds. Home brew and home made wine, yes, but distilled spirits? No.

Home grow plant limits vary from state to state. And within states. In WA, you cannot grow rec weed at home. In WA with a doc Rx you can grow 4 plants at home though for medical. In Oregon anyone can grow 4 plants any size as long as it is 1000 yards from any school and not on federal or Indian land. In Nevada you can only grow at home if you are more than 25 miles from a weed store. In Nevada and Massachusetts you can grow 6 flowering and 6 non-flowering plants at a time. In Maine, you can grow 6 flowering and 12 immature non-flowering plants at a time. In Colorado and Alaska, its a 6 plant grow limit, but that is 3 mature flowering and 3 non-flowering plants. In California, its a 6 plant limit, and like in Oregon, they can be any size plants. 6 plants is a fork of a lot of plants. That was my limit here per medical grow card.

An all these states, local cities and counties can and do pass more restrictive growing laws, depending. A far as I know, only one City in Oregon, Medford, has passed an ordinance against growing any weed outdoors.

Muleskinner

Veteran
the laws are a disgrace. The government has NO business in anyone's garden. It's a crime against humanity...tyranny. Every family lived off their garden before WWII.

I can't imagine what my European grandparents and ancestors, all of whom had huge vegetable gardens and fruit trees, would have thought about gardening laws, but I'm sure they would have disobeyed them. Jefferson's words were never more appropriate:

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

shaggyballs

Veteran
In CA. personal home grows will need to be inspected and issued a permit, failure to do so will result in 6 months in jail.
Who will be first to get 6 months in jail for failure to register your grow?
I thought the purpose of legalizing cannabis was to keep people out of jail?
Or is cannabis being legalized for the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Bull Shit!

Bull Shit!

In CA. personal home grows will need to be inspected and issued a permit, failure to do so will result in 6 months in jail.
Who will be first to get 6 months in jail for failure to register your grow?
I thought the purpose of legalizing cannabis was to keep people out of jail?
Or is cannabis being legalized for the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

FAKE NEWS from shaggyballs :party:

shaggyballs

Veteran
FAKE NEWS from shaggyballs :party:

Let the facts speak for themselves!

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/city-743715-cities-marijuana.html

Permits required

The cities of Aliso Viejo and San Juan Capistrano voted more than a month before Prop. 64 to require residents who want to grow six plants indoors to first get permits from the city.

“We all are opposed to Prop. 64, and this is pretty much the most forceful thing we can do in response,” San Juan Capistrano Councilman Derek Reeve said before voting in favor of his city’s policy.

Ellen Komp, deputy director of the California NORML, wrote a letter to San Juan Capistrano council members in response.

“Requiring a permit for someone to grow a personal marijuana garden, and making it a potential misdemeanor with a six-month sentence to grow without one, is rather like a law giving women the right to vote – but requiring them to get a permission slip from their husbands, or else face jail time,” Komp wrote.

Both O.C. cities are finalizing details of their permit programs, city spokesmen said, including how much to charge for the permits.

Council members in Fillmore, in Ventura County, briefly contemplated city staff’s recommendation to impose a marijuana cultivation permit fee of $737, but instead asked staff to come back Feb. 14 with a less-expensive plan.

Manuel Minjares, a councilman in Fillmore, said he believed the high fee would lead to people simply ignoring the permit process, according to a story in the Ventura County Star. “They’re going to grow without a permit and take their chances.”

The city council for San Jacinto, in Riverside County, voted Tuesday night to approve a restrictive permitting program similar to the ones set recently in Fontana and Indian Wells.

Please at least check the facts before calling B.S.
I don't take it personal but now it is you that is perpetuating bad information.
I just hope your not one of the TROLLS that usually show up about this time with personal attacks on my character.

Peace to you 420somewhere
:smoke out:
Shag

Big Sur

Yes, munis are trying to test the limits of what they can and cannot restrict. Here in Oregon Medford banned all outdoor growing, including personal grows, even though the state made it quite clear in OR HB3400 that anyone in the state on state or private land can grow up to 4 plants as long as it is 1000 yards from a school, and out of public view with the unaided eye. The cities and counties can pass all the laws that they want, but it does not mean that they can be enforced or that they will hold up in state court. Likely these will be shot down in time. CA Prop 64 is pretty clear that munis can ban outdoor growing, but not indoor. It will take some time for this stuff to be sorted out in the courts.

Big Sur

the laws are a disgrace. The government has NO business in anyone's garden. It's a crime against humanity...tyranny. Every family lived off their garden before WWII.

I can't imagine what my European grandparents and ancestors, all of whom had huge vegetable gardens and fruit trees, would have thought about gardening laws, but I'm sure they would have disobeyed them. Jefferson's words were never more appropriate:

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

Government and laws often times flip flop. During WWII, it was REQUIRED BY LAW that farmers grow hemp for the war effort. Also these types of laws have been an issue since George Washington's time with the Whiskey Rebellion, and before that when the US colonies were restricted from trading and what they could and could not do (and grow and make) under English colonial law. If you think it is bad now, it was far worse here then under the rule of The Crown. My ancestors wrote in 1800 that it was far better here in America than it was in Germany at that time. Taxes were far less here, and they could make all the beer here that they wanted and it was not taxed, like it was in Germany.

Muleskinner

Veteran
I think most of those laws focused on professional, commercial farming and growing, not home gardens. The government never made anyone grow hemp in their vegetable garden.

of course the entire modern foundation of US federal control is based on 1940's case where someone was growing wheat for home consumption in their own garden. According to our wonderful 1984ish federal government, that now constitutes "interstate commerce"

Big Sur

Well, wait until things move along in a year or two in California. Things change as legal MJ rolls out. In Washington state, things have actually improved. The weed sales taxes were lowered, and the taxes on growers and distributes were removed. Also the prices have come down there with high supply from volume growing. Also the ban on home grows was made more lenient allowing for anyone to grow 4 plant at home with a doctor Rx (no WMMP card required). Here in Oregon things are going in the opposite direction. More counties and cities have opted out, meaning that they have banned commercial growing and rec selling in all counties east of the Cascades except one, and two counties west of the Cascades, as well as a long list of cities. Similar bans are being passed by munis in California now. Also in Oregon, the sales taxes are going back up again, with a increase in local sales taxes, as well as increases in commercial license fees for all involved. Also in Oregon, they are looking at doing away with medical MJ program and moving it all under the OLCC, like CA is doing with their medical MJ program, basically doing away with medial all together.

In the end here? Home grows have pretty much been ignored here in Oregon by law enforcement. The only busts I have read about or seen on the news here are for large grows w/o a license, like over 100 plants, and they were in plain public view. I presume that in SoCal they will use any means possible to bust personal grows, including helicopter spotting and drone cameras. As I recall living in SoCal, there were law enforcement choppers in the air at all times there, 24/7. Also they are more anal about enforcing laws there, especially in SoCal. I once got a j-walking ticket in San Diego for crossing against a red light on foot. No one believed me in New York a week later, and I won enough money on bar bets in NYC to pay for that ticket. The idea of anyone getting a j-walking ticket in NYC is well, completely unbelievable. But I was ticketed in Mission Beach one night by a pair of SD cops fro crossing a street against a red light.

Last edited:
Hi, I have a few questions for the members that live in states that have legalized Cannabis, Colorado, Washington, Alaska and California. Although the laws are slightly different from one state to another it seems like they're very similar, the protocol seems to be the same. People can grow 4-6 plants per household, the plants can't be visible from public view, you cannot cannot grow within a certain distance from schools, you have to apply for a permit, your interior grow rooms have to be inspected by firefighters to make sure its not a fire hazard bla bla bla.. Do you guys have to inform your house insurance that you own a permit for inside cultivation and that you are growing your own ?? What happens if a garden without a permit is discovered by police? Do they rip it like they used to? Do they bring you in? Do they fine you? This is probably different from one state to another I imagine... I have heard contradictive stories concerning prices, alot of the newspaper articles seem to say that prices of the legally bought herb is very expensive even after 2 years of legalisation I'm referring to articles from Colorado as this seems to be the state thats in the spotlight the most.. Some place selling legal herb charge 50-60$ for a 3.5 g (1/8 oz) ?? Then I hear stories from guys growing illegally in colorado and selling pounds for 1400-1800$ wich is average price around my area.. The market must get flooded with weed? It becomes legal and it's like a gold rush everyone thinks they can grow it and become rich and successful overnight lol. I'm asking because the liberal government here in Canada is going to pass the legislation by April (I'll believe it when I see it because the liberal party are the biggest bullshitters and also corrupt enough to make false promises in order to be elected). About a year ago the Hell's Angel's we're protesting against legalization because it would take theyre main source of income away from them, I'm all for that, Trudeau wants to take the market away from criminals like the H-A and be able to control/tax it.. Hopefully he's being sincere.

Big Sur

I do not know of any states that are talking about personal grow permits except specific munis in Southern California. Most states allow for outdoor grows except for Colorado and munis in California. In all legal states, you have to be over 21 to possess and grow marijuana, and you cannot sell any marijuana bud, plants or seeds w/o a license. You can give them all away though. Possession limits and the number of plants allowed vary by state. In all states growing has to be out of public view. In some states grows have to be in a secured/locked area.

In Oregon, there are no permits required and there are no inspections required (indoors or out) for personal grows here. You can grow 4 plants per residence here of any size/maturity indoors or out (with one exception). Only one city has banned outdoor growing in Oregon: Medford. Law enforcement here has been pretty laid back about offenders. Generally if you get busted with a few more plants than is legal in OR, they just ask you which 4 or 6 plants you want to keep, and they take the rest. I know several people that this has happened to. Only in large cases with 20 or more plants do they hand out citations or make arrests.

In Washington state, personal grows are banned. So there are no personal grows there. HOWEVER: anyone in WA state with a doctor's Rx can now grow 4 plants indoors or outdoors w/o a WMMP card, or any application, inspections, etc.

In Colorado you can grow up 6 plants PER RESIDENT, but only 3 can be mature/flowering. Some munis like Denver have put a cap at 12 plants per residence in Colorado. In Colorado, you can only grow indoors. Homes with minors must have the growing area kept locked and secure.

Alaska is similar to Denver: up to 6 plants per resident, 3 of which can be mature/flowering, and 12 plants max per residence.

Now, the above are the 4 states that have been legal now for over 2 years. The newer states are still revising the laws since the measures and propositions were passed by the voters in November.

In California the munis are testing the legal boundaries, and it has yet to be sorted out who can legally do what and where. A *FEW* cities in SoCal are trying to mandate permits for growing there. Many other munis have banned outdoor personal growing. Specifically spelled out in Prop 91:

"may cultivate up to six plants per residence and possess the marijuana produced by these plants. All plants and harvest in excess of one ounce must be kept in a locked space not in public view at one’s residence. Local governments may forbid cultivation outdoors, but must allow it inside a private residence or accessory structure that is "fully enclosed and secure.""

In California, more security is required for growing outdoors as well, like within a fenced and locked areas out of public view. But you can also have 6 mature and 6 more immature (non-flowering plants) per residence.

In Nevada, the grow limit is 12 plants total per residence, 6 per person, indoors or out. However, in Nevada, you have to reside at least 25 miles from a licensed weed store in order to grow at home. Nevada is still ironing out the laws now though, so this may change.

In Maine, Marijuana just became legal Jan 30, 2017. In Maine it is now legal for the cultivation of 6 flowering plants, 6 non-flowering plants and an unlimited number of seedlings (under 2 ft tall) per residence. You have to grow on your own property or grow on another's property with the owner's (or landlord's) express written permission.

Massachusetts allows a single individual to cultivate up to 6 marijuana plants for personal use, and up to 12 plants per residence if more than one adult lives on the premises. Marijuana can be grown indoors and outside. Like California, marijuana plants must be cultivated someplace where there is a security device (like a locked fenced area or locked indoors).

seeded

Plant counts are such bullshit. Where I live if you have more than five plants indoors they consider it commercial cultivation and there's basically no convincing a judge it was personal at all if you have more than fifty.
picture.php

That's my 1m x 1m vege tent with my parents, back up cuttings in case any of the parents die or get flowered and a few new strains I'm starting up. If I were busted today it wouldn't matter that I was going to purge at least 80% of the cuttings in there in a week, that only a handful of females will be kept from the seedlings, that my grow is severely limited to personal cultivation based on size, etc. I would be looking at 10 years or more because my plant numbers would make the prosecution froth like a camel in heat.

The big guys will never have to live under such insanity. You watch they'll be issued harvest quotas and licenses based on the time and space needed to achieve the desired yield. It will then be on the farmer to grow the crop as efficiently as possible to maximize their profits from the contract which will ultimately mean smaller plants and more of them for a quicker turn around. Do you really think they'll ever treat us similarly given that the have a financial motive to deny us the same level of leniency? Me either so never agree to plant number restrictions for personal cultivation otherwise they'll still wage war against you :mad:

Mukind

In cali it's a misdemeanor if you have 1 or 100,000 thousand more plants than allowed

Granted if you go too big you might attract feds

Not to mention asset seizure

Better than the alternative by miles though