What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What strains grow well in bad water?

Starsb3l0w

So apparently my new apt complex has some TERRIBLE water. The ppm reads out at 966. At first I thought, ok that is high but shouldnt matter much. WOW was I wrong. The amount of PH down i need to get this water to 5.5ph is just ridiculous and so far my 3 grows have been a complete joke. I dont get how this water is "safe" seems like no matter what I do the crops get to maybe the 2-3internood and just stop growing.

I got one of the LA cons to work out great but half way though the budding process, same thing, growing just came to a stop and it was a terrible harvest.

At this point im just waisting tons of time and resources and I want to know if theres any strains that are super resilient to bad water. At the moment i cant do a RO system. Im considering buying a few gallons of just RO water, but what do you guys reccomend in terms of hardy strains??

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
as the E.P.A sets the maximum allowable safe residential tds at 500 ppm i would ask the water supplier for a verification. where did you get your figures? from your meter? if so calibrate your meter and/or cross check with someone else's meter.
send a water sample to jrpeterslab.com and have an independent lab analysis done.

you can haul water, install a ro filter, or have someone like jrpeterslab formulate a custom nutrient for your water supply.

in my experience any water over about 150-175 ppm will present conflicts with your nutrient package. this will vary depending on exactly what is in that water.

i wouldn't drink that stuff!

Starsb3l0w

I wanted to get it tested but at the same rate didnt want to raise any brows. I have to check my neighbors water and see if its different. Any time i check the RO water, its usually around 12ppm.

Its such a drag, where i use to live the water was perfect, didnt really need a tds or ph meter. Ill try to see how to contact the EPA about this. Thanks

Starsb3l0w

Smh just checked my neighbors, they live in the same building -- meter goes directly to 855ppm. Not sure if its the pipes or what.

corky1968

Veteran
There's nothing wrong with bringing it up to your landlords attention that everybody in the building
has hard water. Explain it to him that hard water will mess up his pipes eventually costing him large
$$$. Then maybe he'll deal with the issue wherever the water enters the building.

For now this may help you out. Get a shower filter for hard water. :tiphat:

It's the less expensive way to deal with your hard water problems for now.

Water Softener Shower Head Reviews- (Ultimate Guide 2016)

You can pick up a reverse osmosis machine for probably around $100 that would take care of all your problems.

My vote is getting the RO filter. I think ours was $150. We're using the Stealth-RO200 (lists for 350 on the website, but you should be able to get it for the $150ish).

At least with RO water, you know exactly what you're going to get and you can control it much more easily. The $150 is probably worth not having a crap harvest again.

If you're a cash strapped individual like I was when I was younger you can also use Brita filter water pitchers which will do an okay job cleaning up you're water. I used to do this when I was apartment growing in college. Not the best but better than nothing. I remember them having a pretty big effect on tap water tho.

Use the water pitcher. I remember testing on-faucet filters and found they raised PPMs. But that was just my experience.

If you're willing to put out money for seeds or spend the time hunting down certain strains, not sure why you wouldn't invest in something that might double your numbers.

Starsb3l0w

"Might" is a strong word...RO is the obvious answer to most water solutions...Not everyones situation/setup is black and white, hence why i do not own one yet. But thanks.