What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to use Jack's in Hydro/DWC?

I think I want to experiment with Jack's since I've heard nothing but good things about it but I can't find a definitive 411 or nute schedule for a 5 gallon DWC.

Does anyone have any advice or information on what kind of Jack's to use and how to use it for hydro?

Thank you. :thank you:

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
jrpeters.com

you want the 5-12-26 hydroponic special, which must be used with calcium nitrate.

in dwc i would start at 600 ppm or ec 1.2.

DabStar

Well I see jack's 321 as a standard around here. 3 grams cal-nit 2 grams hydro special and 1 gram Epsom salt per gal. This isnt full strength and some modify to 2-2-0 depending on starting water composition.

Speed of green

There are many ways to measure jacks, i use a meter to check overall ec. I aim for 1.2-1.4. I mix equal parts by volume jacks & calcium nitrate.

When I first started using jacks I followed the instructions of D9 and others mixing at 600ppm. The meter I was using was 700 scale Resulting in a much weaker mix, I had many deficiencies and battled with jacks and my plants through one grow.

Now looking at a ppm ec conversion chart the mistakes I made are very apparent.

I can now say I have been using jacks with great results for three months, I finally made it around the learning g curve haha. It's totally worth it. Plants are stoked, leaves pointing straight up the whole cycle.

In a nutshell mix by ec, ph to 5.8 and enjoy.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Well I see jack's 321 as a standard around here. 3 grams cal-nit 2 grams hydro special and 1 gram Epsom salt per gal. This isnt full strength and some modify to 2-2-0 depending on starting water composition.

mixing by weight is ok but it's easier to mix by ec converted to volume. i use 55 gal drums. to get approx 650 ppm at the .5 conversion or ec 1.3 i will use 5 level tbs of jack's and 5 of calcinit.

very fast and easy.

the 3-2-1 that is mentioned above by weight is 1-.67 which gives the same result as measuring by equal volume.

i caution that if you are doing the 3-2-1 it should be done in the order of 3-1-2 to avoid precipitation. jack's, then mag sulfate, then calcinit.

Hookah79

mixing by weight is ok but it'a easier to mix by ec converted to volume. i use 55 gal drums. to get approx 650 ppm at the .5 conversion or ec 1.3 i will use 5 level tbs of jack's and 5 of calcinit.

very fast and easy.

the 3-2-1 that is mentioned above by weight is 1-.67 which gives the same result as measuring by equal volume.

i caution that if you are doing the 3-2-1 it should be done in the order of 3-1-2 to avoid precipitation. jack's, then mag sulfate, then calcinit.
OK i just noticed this thread.Delta I've read about how good your plants do with jack's,isn't making a stock solution better than waiting for the powders to dissolve?.I've read that it takes about 20 or so minutes for it to do so(dissolve).Also,not meaning to hijack this thread,but is tap water coming in at 150 ppm,7.5 ph,and .2 ec ok to use with jack's hydro without RO??

PeterGreen

I've used 5-50-17 for years and had good luck with it...I'm now starting up again
and can't find it. they are selling a 5-50-18 hydro formula was thinking of going with that.
Maybe I'll get some of each and give em a try. I've been using peters 20-20-20 since 79.
May be a time for a change!

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
OK i just noticed this thread.Delta I've read about how good your plants do with jack's,isn't making a stock solution better than waiting for the powders to dissolve?.I've read that it takes about 20 or so minutes for it to do so(dissolve).Also,not meaning to hijack this thread,but is tap water coming in at 150 ppm,7.5 ph,and .2 ec ok to use with jack's hydro without RO??

i really don't like the idea of using stock solutions because you are concentrating way beyond normal working strength. you are more likely to have a precipitation event.

also, the only part of the jack's hydro formula that does not completely immediately dissolve is the magnesium sulfate as jack's has 6.36%, which is a huge amount compared to most products. all of the calcium nitrate goes instantly into solution.

i mix in a 55 gal drum, jack's first, get it spinning with a boat paddle, let it slow down and then add the calcinit, get it spinning again, add ph down, spin it again and by this time the mag sulfate is just about all mixed in.

i feel premixing stock solutions is just an extra unnessary step that could potentially lead to problems.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
I've used 5-50-17 for years and had good luck with it...I'm now starting up again
and can't find it. they are selling a 5-50-18 hydro formula was thinking of going with that.
Maybe I'll get some of each and give em a try. I've been using peters 20-20-20 since 79.
May be a time for a change!

confusingly enough, jrpeters is the manufacturer of jack's 2 part fertilizers and jack's classic one part fertilizers.

scott's is the manufacturer of peters brand fertilizers. the folks who own jack's now are the descendents of the owner of the original peters brand that was sold to scott's.

both companies make very similar products as does total-gro and haifa chemicals.

PeterGreen

thanks for the info delta, after moving across the country ive gone to a couple stores with aisles of ferts $$$ that say they have never heard of jacks..

DabStar

New to jacks and dwc. But Jack's seems easy and the kids love it. 14 days since popped and the two in rockwool cubes that went into the hydroton as soon as the tap root showed through are about 3 inches tall with 4 nodes and the direct sew into hydroton is rockin 6 inches with 5 nodes 2 of which got cut off to add more hydroton. Only downfall to direct sew was the nodes started growing in a half full netpot of hydroton and when i filled it all the way up some were covered so had to go. Live learn and then get jacks.