What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Orange Pekoe Cambodian, Back to the Congo,HSO 707 HB

EvergreenState

Thanks GG. Yes they are stacking up nicely. The OPC buds are getting big and I think they will yield better than I thought. Not big yielders but decent. The fat leaf Back to the Congo is getting really chunky. Overall probably my best grow.
After about 8 indoor grows I feel like I have finally weeded out most of my mistakes and every girl looks very healthy and happy. I'm eager for the harvest however I know the OPC'S are going to take awhile.
I'll get better individual photos of the plants when I harvest and get them out of the room. You'll be able to see what they look like after I trim off all the leaves. I'll get some wet weights and then dry weights.

EvergreenState

Just like the last time I grew out the Congo one pheno type finishes early. I don't know how many days it's been since I put these into flower, maybe 40ish and this one was picked a little early to sample it but it's not long before it's ready for a complete harvest. If you're looking for top shelf pot that finishes early, look no further.

EvergreenState

I'm going to dry this bud in my Excalibur food dehydrator for about 4 hours and I'll be able to do a smoke report on this today. Yeah I know it's not the best way to dry your smoke and I don't normally dry my pot this way but for relatively quick tasting, it can't be beat.

EvergreenState

I just checked my first post and believe it or not this is day 32 of flower. You can see there are still some white hairs on that bud but a lot of brownish hairs too, so it's not too far from being finished.
The Congo plant I'm excited to try is the fat leaf stinky pheno, yes Richard it's the stinky one,:dance013:, it still has a ways to go. Both phenos of the Congo are great. I had a slower finishing one last time too that was still relatively quick at 56ish days. It wasn't the real fat leaf pheno I have now but a good mix of the two.
Two of the very tall OPC'S started showing signs of a nitrogen deficiency, small pot and root bound, so I'm going to be giving them a feeding of 1 teaspoon of Foliage Pro per gallon of water for the next 2 or 3 feedings which should correct that and I scratched in some more of the organic fertilizer on top of the soil. If I would have used much more organic fertilizer in the beginning this wouldn't have happened or used a much larger pot with much more fertilized soil. Wasn't sure how much to use so I started low.
Better to start with not enough until you know the plant and what it needs than too much and burn it up. If I were to grow this plant again in this size pot I'd probably use a whole cup of the fertilizer rather than 1/3rd of a cup.

EvergreenState

I remember there was a seed breeder in Oregon that used say that you should harvest their strains in something like 35 to 40 days. They said their patients liked the affect when there was no amber because they liked the more up affect and didn't like the couch lock or tired feeling. I get that and I find a lot of different strains that have too much of a couch lock or sedative affect.
I dehydrated a couple of young buds (32 days) on one of the Congo plants and a couple of buds from the HSO Headband to see what kind of affect I'd get from these young buds. Granted drying in a dehydrator for 9 hours, I thought 4 would be enough but because I had the dehydrator on the lowest setting it took much longer, is not the best way to dry your pot and that may have effected the end result.
I ddidn't really care for the affect. It was definitely not sedating or couch lock but for me it wasn't enjoyable. It was one dimensional, still potent, especially and surprisingly the HSO Headband but a shallow, buzzy and nervous high with paranoia. I smoked a lot of the Congo after my last grow so I know the high very well and this wasn't it. It was young, immature and not ready; it has more ripening to do. The Headband was very potent and I was kind of taken aback at how strong it was. Looking forward to smoking both of these, when they are ready and right now, they ain't.
Everything is fattening up nicely, getting a lot resin and had to stake them all up. Using my magnifying glass everyday looking for amber.The first 2 photos are the Congo. A couple of group shots and an OPC closeup.

EvergreenState

picture.php

The big leaf Deep Chunk leaning and stinky Congo smelling Back to the Congo.

EvergreenState

Watering

Watering

Watering properly has been one of the hardest things for me to learn. I'm a guy who likes routine. I like to water either every day or every other day etc. based on trying to judge the weight of a pot.
What finally sunk in to my stubborn head was that every plants' needs change frequently all throughout the grow. What I had to get through my head is that you can have many plants of the same strain have very different requirements on any given day. Based on where the plant is located in relation to the light, what stage of the grow they are in, how much they are eating, the temp. changes in the room, what plants are around it that are either shading it or not or just that some plants drink a lot and some don't.
The HSO 707 Headband is directly under the light, in the middle of the room and it requires the least amount of water of any plant in the room. Three of the OOPC'S in the back of the room get the least amount of light and they need far more water than any of the other plants in the room. My 2 biggest and fattest Congo plants have average watering needs and they are very close to the light. The third less chunky, less fat and leaner growing Congo, which is farther from the light than the other 2, is very thirsty.
Every plant is different and every day is different when it comes to watering in my room with my conditions. Also weighing a pot by picking it up to judge the weight can be misleading. At one stage of the grow the weight of the pot will lead to a judgment that you can wait until tomorrow to water and it will be fine. At another time in the grow that same weight will mean that you better water today because if wait wait until tomorrow it may he bone dry and wilting because the plant is now drinking a lot more water more quickly.

Golden Tree

Honoured....;)

It's good to see you up and posting buddy!

Your journals are a thing of legend...

Nothing but love and respects for you and yours buddy!

Good luck

Everything looks pretty amazing as usual

Overgrow!

GT

EvergreenState

Thanks for stopping by GT. Great to hear from you again and I hope all is well with you and your family.
You should be proud of your OPC. They are very healthy and vigorous. Now they are filling out very nicely and I think they will yield much better than I first thought. I've got 6 of them going and it looks like 2 phenos but overall very uniform. I'm very excited about the potential and I know that with large pots, proper training and veg. times, you could get some real beasts. I appreciate the gift of these great seeds and your generosity.
Of course I'd be remiss for not giving credit to Reeferman for his legendary breeding skills, knowledge and courage for bringing these strains home from the far east, working with them and making them available to the public. I don't think most people appreciate the risks breeders like Reeferman took traveling overseas to obtain these strains and shipping them around the world back in the day. If you think the laws concerning marijuana now are draconian, a couple of decades ago sentences for marijuana crimes were, many times, harsher than sentences for murder. The risks breeders took were enormous and we today benefit greatly from their courage.:tiphat:

EvergreenState

Gettin' in tune to the straight and narrow
Smoking some of Golden Tree's superb Bangi Haze x Bubblegum I grew out last grow with great success. Also enjoying some of Sierra Nevadas' Oktoberfest; don't drink it cold, for full flavor let it warm up some. My guide today, The Who.:peacock:

EvergreenState

1 year old Bangi Haze x Bubblegum Golden Tree

1 year old Bangi Haze x Bubblegum Golden Tree

Still kickin' ass one year later.
picture.php

gorilla ganja

Did you have a thread for the Bangi x bubblegum? Or any other Golden Tree creations?
Would like to learn more about the effects with this one, sounds like a winner for sure.
Did it have the Bubblegum smell?

Peace GG

EvergreenState

GG the BH X BG was included in my last grow diary. You know Golden Tree knows what he is doing so it won't surprise you this cross was successful. Easy to grow and no problems what so ever throughout the grow.
The effects is up but not nervous. It inspires me to be creative, I want to listen to music and enjoy other art. It is potent and long lasting with a very long but smooth come down and then, nap time. If he would market this cross it would be very successful.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php