What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning Rosemary?

the gnome

Veteran
Btw, you can also cover lower branches of a plant to do layering. It will throw roots if part of a branch is placed in a dark and humid place (soil).

I don't kno whats easier to root rosemary or the potato in our 7th grade sci class project.

as said above air layering is easy easy.
I had a rosemary plant that was rather unruly, so 1 of the branches
laid over, and over and OVER until the lambs ear in the pot next to rosemary caught it,
the branch landed on top of the soil in the L-ear pot and when to sweep up the rosemary had rooted in the lambs ear....

so! the moral of the story is........
keep an Eye on the lambs Ear
or it may end up having Rosemary's Baby
:biggrin:

rosemarys-baby.jpg

the gnome

Veteran
same here zach,
that was cutting edge suspense back in the day.
sheeet... it still gives me the heebee jeebee's

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
Best to take cuttings from young branches, when the stem is still green and not woody. Roots pretty fast. Plant directly in soil that drains well and should be pretty easy.

Quality meat, salt, pepper, olive oil and rosemary in the oven... oh shit now I'm hungry...

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Old trick from my grandfather's garden.

Snap off some fresh tips, must have fresh green leaves.

Split the ends, and spit on them. Big gobs of spit. Wrap the cut parts in wax paper or plastic wrap siting upright in a glass or whatever...overnight. Don't let them dry out.

In morning remove wrap and add water...keep in a warm dimly lit spot and in less than a week you'll see vigorous roots.

Old trick from my grandfather's garden.

Snap off some fresh tips, must have fresh green leaves.

Split the ends, and spit on them. Big gobs of spit. Wrap the cut parts in wax paper or plastic wrap siting upright in a glass or whatever...overnight. Don't let them dry out.

In morning remove wrap and add water...keep in a warm dimly lit spot and in less than a week you'll see vigorous roots.

Thats interesting, ive known some old school orchardists who swear that holding scions for grafting in your mouth, keeping them very wet with saliva, is key to a getting a good graft. Who knows?:)

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Softwood or hardwood works. Softwood 'Heel' cuttings being the performer in nursery work as I was shown. Mist tunnel till done..... High chance of Botrytis is possible so you must perform the 'gaseous exchange'.

satva

Veteran
Indoors Rosemary is prone to powdery mildew if it gets too wet or lacks good air circulation. Colorado garden shops agree and recommend baking soda as an organic cure for Rosemary's mildew.

I tend to over water Rosemary indoors and it dies every winter indoors from a white powdery mildew. Outdoors Colorado is a dry semi-arid climate most of the year.

I'm harvesting Rosemary in April that I winter in a small green house. I'll move it outdoors in a pot after the last frost. I have better results with Rosemary outdoors than indoors.

I'd research Rosemary powdery mildew before I'd companion plant with cannabis. Rosemary prefers a drier environment than most cannabis varieties.

Make Rosemary infused olive oil from crushed fresh Rosemary and use oil and crushed Rosemary on roasted potatoes or roasted winter squash, yum yum.

Good luck.