What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
and beautiful like you just saw everything for the first time.

that's the number one quote of this thread! Nice one Tang.

i still vividly remember the first time I got high.....three mates and myself smoked a jay and then we all walked out to the middle of a cricket pitch (sort of same as being in the middle of the diamond in baseball). We all laid on our backs with our heads close together and watched in amazement, wonder and laughter at the changing shapes of the clouds.....then we played cricket for 20 minutes without a ball and laughed until it hurt. I was 12 then and I knew there and then that cannabis and I would always be friends!.
Yes brother its that special connection to everything that I still get from chewing cob.
I thought after years of smoking trying to recapture that mind blowing beauty that it was just something you experienced in the beginning and then chased forever.
Not so chewing is just as strong and you can revisit it again time after time. It makes me feel like a child again full of wonder and joy.
We are blessed to have such a herb we can grow and cure ourselves without having to buy over processed big pharma products. It has made my retirement at the end of my life worth living and enjoying anew again.
I feel like I'm sixteen again if only while I am high but that is easy to fix just keep getting high isn't it brother ha ha I love this life.

squatty

You make me look forward to retirement even more Tangwena. Still working on my cobbing skills until then.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I'm very interested in trying this method, and I've been following this thread for a while. (ty :) ) It's statements like this though which make me wonder.
Smoked it is very mild on the lungs a lot smoother than fresh dried bud.

My cannabis is super smooth when smoked fresh, quick dried and when dried/cured regular, fluffy white ash all the way. I have zero need to reduce harshness or improve flavor, it's amazing.

If you had cannabis which was super potent, extremely tasty, and smoked so smooth you though you were inhaling flavored air... would you still cob?

I wood

If you had cannabis which was super potent, extremely tasty, and smoked so smooth you though you were inhaling flavored air... would you still cob?

I would and do.
It is way faster than the traditional cure on sativas, gives a stable product with long shelf life and can be eaten for great results.
Also when aged the buzz changes over time in a beneficial way to what im looking for.
It is definitely a novelty but worth the effort on sativas, indicas and hybrids not as much in my opinion.

Tangwena

Veteran
I'm very interested in trying this method, and I've been following this thread for a while. (ty :) ) It's statements like this though which make me wonder.

My cannabis is super smooth when smoked fresh, quick dried and when dried/cured regular, fluffy white ash all the way. I have zero need to reduce harshness or improve flavor, it's amazing.

Hi my friend if you are happy with what you have then no.
But if you think there may be improvements and things to be learnt from the old school cannabis growers and curers yes.
The modern take on cannabis eludes me my ONLY goal was and still is the high not the taste, look or smell.
I have smoked all my life over 40 years and never found green cured pot to my taste its what we were brought up on I think.
If you are happy with your product why try anything else its not as if there is anything new to experience is there? Er yes there is my friend.
This is not for everyone its an acquired taste to each his own I say but once you stop searching you stop learning.

Tangwena

Veteran
I would and do.
It is way faster than the traditional cure on sativas, gives a stable product with long shelf life and can be eaten for great results.
Also when aged the buzz changes over time in a beneficial way to what im looking for.
It is definitely a novelty but worth the effort on sativas, indicas and hybrids not as much in my opinion.
I couldn't agree more brother I had some bud the other day which I smoked the high was rough and assaulted my senses, it felt very basic compared to the deep far reaching effects of cob cured buds.
It was like comparing rough moon shine to cognac to me at least.
I am talking about the high not the smoking.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I couldn't agree more brother I had some bud the other day which I smoked the high was rough and assaulted my senses, it felt very basic compared to the deep far reaching effects of cob cured buds.
It was like comparing rough moon shine to cognac to me at least.
I am talking about the high not the smoking.
:tiphat: Ok, so this is what I'm most interested in. The enhancement the fermentation and other processes have on the cannabis. I'll definitely be practicing this in the future, and look forward to sharing the results.

I was letting past experiences with another 'curing' method taint my full enjoyment of this fine thread. My apologies, please carry one.
:laughing:

Tangwena

Veteran
:tiphat: Ok, so this is what I'm most interested in. The enhancement the fermentation and other processes have on the cannabis. I'll definitely be practicing this in the future, and look forward to sharing the results.

I was letting past experiences with another 'curing' method taint my full enjoyment of this fine thread. My apologies, please carry one.
:laughing:
Thats ok my friend its understandable I would feel the same in your position just remember its an art much like making love it takes practice to perfect the more you do it the better you understand it.
I have always said it doesn't make it stronger it just changes the effect and duration for the better in my opinion when its done correctly of course.

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Hello Tangwena I have again been reading about the trippy effects and long duration of cobbed weed that is chewed rather than smoked, and this got me to thinking that chewing might be the healthiest method of consuming cannabis, in which the lungs are spared all smoke and vapor.

My reservations about chewing buds relates to the microscopic hairs that coat buds. I recall reading somewhere that those tiny hairs have serrated edges and "hooks", that are only visible under a microscope, and that those prickly aspects of weed can have an undesirable effect on the digestion of those who chew weed rather than smoke it.

With this concern in mind, I figured the best person to ask about this concern would be someone who has chewed lots of fermented weed over time, namely yourself. Cutting to the chase, I would like to find out whether you have ever experienced any discomfort in your digestive tract, as a result of chewing cobbed buds.

My innards have become a little more choosy about food as I age, and this is the reason why I am seeking your opinion about the effect, if any, of cannabis bud hairs on the digestive tract. Any comments you have on this concern, would be much appreciated, as I mull over a transition from toking and vaping weed, to simply chewing it as you do, in order to see those long duration effects that I read about in this discussion topic.

Tangwena

Veteran
Hello Tangwena I have again been reading about the trippy effects and long duration of cobbed weed that is chewed rather than smoked, and this got me to thinking that chewing might be the healthiest method of consuming cannabis, in which the lungs are spared all smoke and vapor.

My reservations about chewing buds relates to the microscopic hairs that coat buds. I recall reading somewhere that those tiny hairs have serrated edges and "hooks", that are only visible under a microscope, and that those prickly aspects of weed can have an undesirable effect on the digestion of those who chew weed rather than smoke it.

With this concern in mind, I figured the best person to ask about this concern would be someone who has chewed lots of fermented weed over time, namely yourself. Cutting to the chase, I would like to find out whether you have ever experienced any discomfort in your digestive tract, as a result of chewing cobbed buds.

My innards have become a little more choosy about food as I age, and this is the reason why I am seeking your opinion about the effect, if any, of cannabis bud hairs on the digestive tract. Any comments you have on this concern, would be much appreciated, as I mull over a transition from toking and vaping weed, to simply chewing it as you do, in order to see those long duration effects that I read about in this discussion topic.
Hi my friend I have been chewing only since 2005 I think my memory as far as dates go has never been good but I chew cob everyday its just the dose I vary.

The effects are very different to smoking and take a bit of adjusting to. but your lungs will thank you for sure.

When I first started chewing I read about the possible discomfort in the digestive tract but have never experienced it.
I do chew the cob for quite a while though and chew it into dust.
By the time I'm finished there is very little left maybe the thorough chewing destroys the potential for trouble.

Sweet Sue over at 420 forum also takes daily doses chewed and has never mentioned any stomach problems nor have any of the people I know who chew it.
Maybe you would if you didn't chew it enough but after a thorough mastication I think everything is reduced to powder in my experience.
The only way to see is to try it.
I also find it takes a few weeks of non smoking to get the best results as your brain tunes in to the new high.

I certainly would not go back to smoking now I have experienced the new effects I get from chewing. Its more like ecstacy in the love connection I feel on some strains and the energy is crazy as well strain dependent of course. Stick with sativas and your on a winner unless its sleep your after then of course you know where to go for that.

I to have a touchy stomach especially if I drink too much strong coffee or eat fatty foods or spicy foods ect.

Tangwena

Veteran
Mulanje 13 week lower buds

Mulanje 13 week lower buds

These are the lower buds I left on the the early harvested plant so that they could mature longer.
I have dried them more than usual and sweated them gently for a few days they are now being resealed to age.
The aroma is so beautiful floral wild honey with a sandalwood background outstanding smell.
Once aged for a few months they should be real Alice in Wonderland trippy chewed I cant wait to try them once they have aged.

picture.php
picture.php

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Hi my friend I have been chewing only since 2005 I think my memory as far as dates go has never been good but I chew cob everyday its just the dose I vary.

The effects are very different to smoking and take a bit of adjusting to. but your lungs will thank you for sure.

When I first started chewing I read about the possible discomfort in the digestive tract but have never experienced it.
I do chew the cob for quite a while though and chew it into dust.
By the time I'm finished there is very little left maybe the thorough chewing destroys the potential for trouble.

Sweet Sue over at 420 forum also takes daily doses chewed and has never mentioned any stomach problems nor have any of the people I know who chew it.
Maybe you would if you didn't chew it enough but after a thorough mastication I think everything is reduced to powder in my experience.
The only way to see is to try it.
I also find it takes a few weeks of non smoking to get the best results as your brain tunes in to the new high.

I certainly would not go back to smoking now I have experienced the new effects I get from chewing. Its more like ecstacy in the love connection I feel on some strains and the energy is crazy as well strain dependent of course. Stick with sativas and your on a winner unless its sleep your after then of course you know where to go for that.

I to have a touchy stomach especially if I drink too much strong coffee or eat fatty foods or spicy foods ect.

I appreciate this this reminder that chewing for a long time before swallowing weed, is a good way to smooth out any rough edges in the buds. I suppose it is also a good idea to chew for a long time, so that the blood vessels under the tongue can also absorb a lot of THC, even before the weed is finally swallowed.

I'm going to try and make this transition away from smoking for my health, even though I love the aroma of smoke and vapor so much, and even though I have zero effects on my health thus far, from smoking or vaping. Your description of the effects of chewing buds, ticks all the boxes for me - namely, it is healthier than smoke or vapor, while also providing a richer, more powerful, and longer duration high.

Tangwena

Veteran
I appreciate this this reminder that chewing for a long time before swallowing weed, is a good way to smooth out any rough edges in the buds. I suppose it is also a good idea to chew for a long time, so that the blood vessels under the tongue can also absorb a lot of THC, even before the weed is finally swallowed.

I'm going to try and make this transition away from smoking for my health, even though I love the aroma of smoke and vapor so much, and even though I have zero effects on my health thus far, from smoking or vaping. Your description of the effects of chewing buds, ticks all the boxes for me - namely, it is healthier than smoke or vapor, while also providing a richer, more powerful, and longer duration high.
Not everyone finds this but I get 2 rushes one from the chewing so absorbed through the mouth.
And one from swallowing the dust as you chew it it sought of dissolves at least most of it seems to.
The first is more clear and intense trippy followed by a stoney effect on top of the already trippy effect.
It can be overwhelming and I dont recommend driving on any kind of dose until you have a handle on the high its that intense on the right dose of the right plant of course you only get out what you put in.

Cakeboy

Feeding the Roos
ICMag Donor
who says indicas cant be cobbed?

who says indicas cant be cobbed?

Hey Tang

Thought I would stop by and mess up your thread with an indica cob, these are some gorilla bubble f2s I sweated for a day and fermented for two weeks.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/images/smilies/laughing.gif
Tried it last night and whoa, I was wired, being fairly indica dom I thought this strain would b sleepy time for me but not after cobbing it wasn't. I haven't smoked for a couple of weeks (new record for me lol) so dunno if its that, but let me say I really enjoyed it, got a bit of housework done and did eventually sleep well. I would say the cobbing made it more of a creeper type high, I asked my girlfriend after a couple of tokes if she wants any more and she said I would have said yes a few minutes ago but im okay now haha

to describe the smell I would say a bit antiseptic smell, a bit of curing tobacco kind of smell.

So I have a few cobs and loose ferments to test against the normal dried buds over the next few weeks. Definitely keen to try it on some sats I have going now, anyway Tang just wanted to mess up your thread with some real (indica) ganja (joking). Awesome thread mate

https://www.icmag.com/ic/images/smilies/tiphat.gif

Attachments

• IMG_0282.jpg
    IMG_0282.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0278.jpg
    IMG_0278.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0144.jpg
    IMG_0144.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0146.jpg
    IMG_0146.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0140.jpg
    IMG_0140.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 29

Tangwena

Veteran
Hey Tang

Thought I would stop by and mess up your thread with an indica cob, these are some gorilla bubble f2s I sweated for a day and fermented for two weeks.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/images/smilies/laughing.gif
Tried it last night and whoa, I was wired, being fairly indica dom I thought this strain would b sleepy time for me but not after cobbing it wasn't. I haven't smoked for a couple of weeks (new record for me lol) so dunno if its that, but let me say I really enjoyed it, got a bit of housework done and did eventually sleep well. I would say the cobbing made it more of a creeper type high, I asked my girlfriend after a couple of tokes if she wants any more and she said I would have said yes a few minutes ago but im okay now haha

to describe the smell I would say a bit antiseptic smell, a bit of curing tobacco kind of smell.

So I have a few cobs and loose ferments to test against the normal dried buds over the next few weeks. Definitely keen to try it on some sats I have going now, anyway Tang just wanted to mess up your thread with some real (indica) ganja (joking). Awesome thread mate

https://www.icmag.com/ic/images/smilies/tiphat.gif
Thanks buddy post away my friend ha ha.
I had a friend on another forum before he left called redeye 24/7 he did some outstanding cures on Indica and indica doms and reported the same thing so thats got to be an improvement right?

check out this beautiful cure drying on the rack before aging by Urban Achiever or should I say over achiever ha ha nice cure happening on some Mulanji x Swazi he grew mainly for seeds.
looks great to me.

picture.php
picture.php

DrDee

Hi Tangwena and cob enthusiasts,
Been reading posts for a year now. I'm an old 60s sorta guy. Loved the old school sativas we got back then.

So I was definitely interested in the fermentation cure. Haven't had anything worth cobbing, but recently I had an odd White Widow plant come to maturity. Buds were small. I dried it a couple days...but definitely wet inside.

Couldn't find any corn husks so I used some butcher paper. waxed on one side (outside) I made them big...1 1/2 oz and wrapped them to near death.

After 24 hours I opened one. A strong and sweet smell...just like you described. But not completely fermented. Looked green like any deied bud...and was consolidated into a firm single chunk. But no "skin" like a normal fully fermented cob. I gave it another day at 40c and now it's at 30c.

I smoked some last night...cut a cgunk off one end. Dry enough to grind for joint rolling. Nice up high and way smoother then any 1 week dry. Widow is not overly flavorable...and this semi-cob did not smell like widow.

Just thought my partial success may help someone and I'd appreciate any advice too. Sorry I lost my camera. If I find it...I'll post some shots.
JD

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi Tangwena and cob enthusiasts,
Been reading posts for a year now. I'm an old 60s sorta guy. Loved the old school sativas we got back then.

So I was definitely interested in the fermentation cure. Haven't had anything worth cobbing, but recently I had an odd White Widow plant come to maturity. Buds were small. I dried it a couple days...but definitely wet inside.

Couldn't find any corn husks so I used some butcher paper. waxed on one side (outside) I made them big...1 1/2 oz and wrapped them to near death.

After 24 hours I opened one. A strong and sweet smell...just like you described. But not completely fermented. Looked green like any deied bud...and was consolidated into a firm single chunk. But no "skin" like a normal fully fermented cob. I gave it another day at 40c and now it's at 30c.

I smoked some last night...cut a cgunk off one end. Dry enough to grind for joint rolling. Nice up high and way smoother then any 1 week dry. Widow is not overly flavorable...and this semi-cob did not smell like widow.

Just thought my partial success may help someone and I'd appreciate any advice too. Sorry I lost my camera. If I find it...I'll post some shots.
JD
Good on you for giving it a try if I was you I would reseal that cob and store for another month then try it again.
I dont know the science behind it but if you were getting a sweet smell it was starting to ferment the changes occur slower in drier buds.
The moister they are the faster they change but saying that a slower cure on drier buds is often better tasting and more aromatic.
I never even bother to try the cobs before at least one month after curing. I have cobs over 12 months old I haven't tried yet the longer you leave them sealed to age the better.
It is hard to get it right first time although plenty of people have following the basic recipe, Repuk posted an easy to follow flow chart.
Here is a nice video by Urban Achiever the cobs shown at the end are what your looking to achieve.
Just click on the link.
If you can get it right after 3 months or more you should have something that smells like the best sweet hashish and smokes and tastes smooth with a slow burning spacey feel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGXmbL3oE7Q#action=share

DrDee

Thanks for the encouraging words Tang...I'll wait a month and give it another smoke. I'm not daunted...lol

I bought some Mango Haze seeds and am thinking that might make a good cob...but that's down the road.

Peace and good health to you,
JD

Tangwena

Veteran
The Gospel of Cob continues to spread online, as stoners discover the treasures that can be created this way.

Here is another video I stumbled on today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4Rq_vLpqzs
Thanks for posting that I was pissing myself laughing as he coughed his lungs out haha.
Totally missed the point by not aging it properly it was on the way to a good cure though.
Its good only in that it might get a few people interested in trying it.
My thinking is that people will be drawn to this method if they will be any good at curing this way. Short tries dont work, the best results are from those who have patience and knowledge you can only get by growing it IMO.
i have seen some truly great cures online these people will master the art and produce supreme cures in the future its not for everyone.

Latest posts

Latest posts