What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Simmering the weed before adding butter

Ruosk

I've been making butter with water method (melt the butter in the water, add weed, simmer) and it's great, but besides THC and other goodies, butter also absorbs huge amounts of clorophyl which is, as we all know, not that tasty. So, another day my friend told me he heard this could be eliminated by adding the water and weed first, simmering a while, changing water and then adding the butter - and I have to admit it sounds quite logical: THC doesn't absorb into water, and temperatures are well within acceptable limits so extra cooking time shouldn't hurt. Anyone tried this?

gunnaknow

While hot water won't dissolve the oleoresin in the glands, it would melt it and it might enter the water if the glands ruptured. I'd try water curing the bud at room temperature instead. If you dry the material first, it will rupture the cells and allow the water to extract more of the chlorophyll etc. Or you can freeze the material while still fresh, which will also rupture the cells.

The other thing that might work is to make the cannabutter as usual but then use a saline wash, to remove the chlorophyll etc. Scroll down to the Hexane/Saline water wash in the link below. In theory, the butter should work instead of the hexane because butter is highly non polar like hexane. So you could just pour the melted cannabutter into a jar or shaker with warm saline and shake it up and let it settle into layers. You could then either siphon off the warm butter, or you could leave it to go cold and then remove the set butter. You'd want to repeat the process until the waste saline came out clear. You could also dilute a little waste saline and taste it, to see if it is free of plant flavor or if more washing is needed. You'll have to try it for yourself to see how well it works with cannabutter. I'll see if Gray Wolf wants to check over the idea because he was involved in creating the article.

http://skunkpharmresearch.com/getting-the-green-and-waxes-out-afterwards/

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Just a plain hot water wash is fine.

Easy to do as well.

Just drop the finished butter back into a crock-pot with a half-gallon of water. Let it simmer for a half hour to an hour and then pop it in the fridge.

Pull the solidified butter off the nasty water left in the bottom. You can also do this a few times.

I like the method because all the good stuff is still locked in the butter and it really doesn't take much time to move a crock-pot a few times and let it sit. :D

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

Ruosk

Thanks both, I think I'll give all mentioned methods a go when it's time to cook something and report back how they go. Was going to do the normal water curing anyway before I heard about this boiling thing.

benzo

I used to make huge tea bags of herb, dip in warm water till the run off was clear, then make butter.

Now I do it how hydro mentioned. Make butter, strain, throw butter and fresh water in crockpot, and strain a second time . Must tastier budder

gunnaknow

To clarify, did anyone suggest that it would be okay to boil the weed in plain water before hand? I think that the only recommendation for use of hot water was with regard to washing the cannabutter, which I agree with. I'm more dubious about the idea of boiling the weed before hand, although I've never tried it.

Ruosk

gunnaknow,
Yeah, that's the way it was originally told to me, though there may have been some sort of misunderstandig. I have to admit that techniques mentioned in this thread by you and others sound much better.

vapedg13

Veteran
why dont people wash the butter after its made??? I make edibles for stores

I melt the butter... grind up & decarb the weed..... butters around 300*F (just under the burning point) for 30 min its done

strain the butter to water on a plate to refridgerate...butters on top waters under.... cannabutter solidifies bout 2 hrs later

then the cleaning process which invloves remelting the cannabuttter, adding hot water then mixing/stirring of the 2... then letting the mix cool set & seperate...Repeat until water is clean

This is called a liquid-liquid extraction, and takes advantage of the different solubilities of polar (salts) vs nonpolar (hydrocarbons) compounds in polar (water) vs nonpolar (oil) solvents.

This is all contamination leaving the butter. Chlorophyll, plant matter, even excess fertilizer salts are washed away, leaving pure butter with the psychoactive compounds.

on the left...1st wash, waters brown & nasty.... on the right 2 washes later.... geting cleaner

002-50.jpg

Useful Idiot

Veteran
I dunno. I have been using 4 ounces of buds and very close trim to 8 sticks of butter.I use a huge pot with a bunch of water and simmer for around 3 and a half hours. It comes out GREAT. I enjoy a little taste of the herb. Is there an issue with some herb taste??? Maybe instead of all the extra work ,just use more water while simmering.

jayaregee

why dont people wash the butter after its made??? I make edibles for stores

I melt the butter... grind up & decarb the weed..... butters around 300*F (just under the burning point) for 30 min its done

strain the butter to water on a plate to refridgerate...butters on top waters under.... cannabutter solidifies bout 2 hrs later

then the cleaning process which invloves remelting the cannabuttter, adding hot water then mixing/stirring of the 2... then letting the mix cool set & seperate...Repeat until water is clean

This is called a liquid-liquid extraction, and takes advantage of the different solubilities of polar (salts) vs nonpolar (hydrocarbons) compounds in polar (water) vs nonpolar (oil) solvents.

This is all contamination leaving the butter. Chlorophyll, plant matter, even excess fertilizer salts are washed away, leaving pure butter with the psychoactive compounds.

on the left...1st wash, waters brown & nasty.... on the right 2 washes later.... geting cleaner

View Image

great image, but why is the twice washed butter signifigantly browner than the first? does it get burned? i cant imagine it would due to it being in water.

purple_man

Veteran
if you want none of the clorophyll, sieve the material, and use the dry sieve resin, instead of the plant material.

blessss

Kushed_

You lose all of the loose trichomes by rinsing. You could run it over a screen lightly and then add the kief back in after you rinse.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
The more you cook it the more you degrade the THC back to CBN I believe.

If you decarb first and then boil and then take the butter and wash it again and again I think you lose a considerable amount of THC...

I don't think it would hurt to not boil as long in the first run if you are going to try to clean it up through further boiling rounds.

:2cents:

vapedg13

Veteran
great image, but why is the twice washed butter signifigantly browner than the first? does it get burned? i cant imagine it would due to it being in water.

that is the color of liquid (hot melted) butter ...as it hardenes it returns to the light green color

you dont boil the butter...

you get some water up to a boil in a pan... then turn it off.

U set the hardened cannabutter in a jar or glass and place that in the hot water in the pan... leave it there until it melts...stir it around a few times....then add some hot water to the melted cananbuter in the glass and stir it...let it cool and set... repeat 3-4 times

clovethee

I dunno. I have been using 4 ounces of buds and very close trim to 8 sticks of butter.I use a huge pot with a bunch of water and simmer for around 3 and a half hours. It comes out GREAT. I enjoy a little taste of the herb. Is there an issue with some herb taste??? Maybe instead of all the extra work ,just use more water while simmering.

I find I like a little taste of the herb too. This sounds like a good ratio and method for me since I don't smoke but love the smell, and a little of the flavor of the herb is for me a fuller enjoyment of this wonderful plant!

2 Legal Co

Veteran
I use this method. Works great W/O the water at all.

http://https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=253112

Except I 're-oil' the mash and cook it again (with a new batch of Ghee), to get more of the goodies out. You can either make weaker budder or you can combine all the budder and level the dosages.

I prefer lower dose per cookie, adding another as needed. I make them for my own personal use......

If you follow the directions in this thread you'll love it. The author of the thread has spent a lot of time 'figuring it out'. Good thread.