Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Outdoors > Botrytis is systemic, right?

Thread Title Search
Click to buy cannabis seeds at Ace Seeds
Botrytis is systemic, right? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-12-2017, 10:14 PM #1
AgentPothead

AgentPothead is a glorious beacon of lightAgentPothead is a glorious beacon of lightAgentPothead is a glorious beacon of lightAgentPothead is a glorious beacon of lightAgentPothead is a glorious beacon of lightAgentPothead is a glorious beacon of lightAgentPothead is a glorious beacon of lightAgentPothead is a glorious beacon of lightAgentPothead is a glorious beacon of lightAgentPothead is a glorious beacon of lightAgentPothead is a glorious beacon of light
Question Botrytis is systemic, right?

Botrytis is systemic right, not endemic? Like I have a plant that is obviously infected, if I take a cutting of a branch that looks okay, it is still infected right? Even if I grow that out into a clone and then take a cutting off the clone, it will still have botrytis in the plant cells? I have an outdoor plant that is obviously screwed, but somebody said I could clone a clone and it would be okay, but that sounds like bullshit to me. Ya'll would definitely know better than me though

Last edited by AgentPothead; 10-12-2017 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: language, i curse a lot i guess.
AgentPothead is offline Quote

Old 10-13-2017, 03:27 AM #2
HHILL

HHILL is on a distinguished road
Botrytis isn't systemic I believe. PM is and will be in the cuts from an infected branch. With Botrytis, take a cut from a healthy branch preferably with a small flower on it as humidity can cause botrytis in a dense bud.

Also, if the buds are full of botrytis, why take a cut? Find a mold resistant strain for next year.
HHILL is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:56 AM #3
Limeygreen

Limeygreen is just really niceLimeygreen is just really niceLimeygreen is just really niceLimeygreen is just really niceLimeygreen is just really niceLimeygreen is just really niceLimeygreen is just really niceLimeygreen is just really niceLimeygreen is just really niceLimeygreen is just really niceLimeygreen is just really nice
Botrytis is an opportunistic mold, you are breathing it as we speak as am I, it is endemic for sure, it can get into the vascular tissue around a wound and rot the stem but not infect the entire plant through the vascular tissue.

You could try different pruning techniques to get more branches with smaller buds, do canopy thinning so that you get a better airflow around those buds and trim off lower branches/popcorn to increase airflow and less stress on the plant but you may still end up with botrytis, location is good as well, area with full sun, not at the bottom elevation and least prone to frost and condensation will help but not cure it if it is susceptible.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:41 AM #4
AgentPothead

AgentPothead is a glorious beacon of lightAgentPothead is a glorious beacon of lightAgentPothead is a glorious beacon of lightAgentPothead is a glorious beacon of lightAgentPothead is a glorious beacon of lightAgentPothead is a glorious beacon of lightAgentPothead is a glorious beacon of lightAgentPothead is a glorious beacon of lightAgentPothead is a glorious beacon of lightAgentPothead is a glorious beacon of lightAgentPothead is a glorious beacon of light
Yeah, basically it's an outdoor plant somebody else started, supposed to be a very strong sativa in the order of 25%+ thc so just wanted to see if it was possible to save through a cutting. They have other seeds so it isn't a real genetic emergency or anything. Thanks for the answers guys!

Old 10-13-2017, 09:46 AM #5
Medfinder

Medfinder is just really niceMedfinder is just really niceMedfinder is just really niceMedfinder is just really niceMedfinder is just really niceMedfinder is just really niceMedfinder is just really niceMedfinder is just really niceMedfinder is just really niceMedfinder is just really niceMedfinder is just really nice
Spore born and there are many types.

i had one type of downey mildew that when the temp and moisture was right fruited mushrooms.
Pseudoperonospora cubensis

used green cure hydroperoxide sulfur etc..etc.. recommended?
Tanos (famoxadone}

lost a lot of genetics from BOGS gear.
Acts 2:38King James Version (KJV)

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Genesis 1:29 King James Version (KJV)

29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
Medfinder is offline Quote

Old 10-13-2017, 02:29 PM #6
Yard dog

Yard dog has a spectacular aura aboutYard dog has a spectacular aura aboutYard dog has a spectacular aura about
It's Systemic, it's clearly environmentally driven but is often asymptomatic so it will not show in some hosts. For instance bud rot can remain hidden right until it gets the environment it wants and even then it might not always show, it can be passed with seeds.
You can screen for it with PCR tests, I'd search out a paper on it by a M Shaw which was done last year on this.
Yard dog is online now Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:32 PM #7
therevverend

therevverend is a glorious beacon of lighttherevverend is a glorious beacon of lighttherevverend is a glorious beacon of lighttherevverend is a glorious beacon of lighttherevverend is a glorious beacon of lighttherevverend is a glorious beacon of lighttherevverend is a glorious beacon of lighttherevverend is a glorious beacon of lighttherevverend is a glorious beacon of lighttherevverend is a glorious beacon of lighttherevverend is a glorious beacon of light
I agree with the above posters boytritis spores are everywhere waiting for the right conditions to sprout. If you take a cutting and move it indoors the cutting should be fine. Grey mold is a disease of opportunity waiting for cool temperatures, high humidity, and the proper PH. Change the conditions and it will be fine.
My area has stretches where it is cool and humid so I often suffer bud rot. This year was sunny and warm, I found spots in buds where grey mold had started and died. Killed by the sunlight and dry temperature. A dry dead spot in the bud that is easily removed.
have a problem with stem rot. The stem will get an infection, grey mold will start rotting through it. If I catch it, sterilize it, the wound heals. I've lost whole plants that way, all it takes is an inch of rot to cut through the heart of the stem.
I select for mold resistance but in the fall it gets so wet any large bud is prone to rot. High potency large yielding strains will always be susceptible at temperatures below 65 degrees and above 80% humidity. So it's a question of trade offs. I would rather grow the best ganja, letting it finish all the way then harvest early or grow less potent earlier strains. My losses aren't large enough to justify giving up on the stuff I like.
therevverend is offline Quote

Old 10-13-2017, 02:36 PM #8
Yard dog

Yard dog has a spectacular aura aboutYard dog has a spectacular aura aboutYard dog has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limeygreen View Post
Botrytis is an opportunistic mold, you are breathing it as we speak as am I, it is endemic for sure, it can get into the vascular tissue around a wound and rot the stem but not infect the entire plant through the vascular tissue.

You could try different pruning techniques to get more branches with smaller buds, do canopy thinning so that you get a better airflow around those buds and trim off lower branches/popcorn to increase airflow and less stress on the plant but you may still end up with botrytis, location is good as well, area with full sun, not at the bottom elevation and least prone to frost and condensation will help but not cure it if it is susceptible.
It's systemic, just because you don't see something does not mean it is not there!... Botrytis can complete its cycle without showing symptoms but it is/was still there...

Last edited by Yard dog; 10-13-2017 at 04:59 PM..

Old 10-14-2017, 04:15 PM #9
EsterEssence

EsterEssence is a name known to allEsterEssence is a name known to allEsterEssence is a name known to allEsterEssence is a name known to allEsterEssence is a name known to allEsterEssence is a name known to allEsterEssence is a name known to allEsterEssence is a name known to allEsterEssence is a name known to allEsterEssence is a name known to allEsterEssence is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yard dog View Post
It's Systemic, it's clearly environmentally driven but is often asymptomatic so it will not show in some hosts. For instance bud rot can remain hidden right until it gets the environment it wants and even then it might not always show, it can be passed with seeds.
You can screen for it with PCR tests, I'd search out a paper on it by a M Shaw which was done last year on this.
Can you provide a link that proves it is systemic and be passed on in a seed. I search and can't find anywhere it says anything like that. I find that it is a fungus common in grapes. I can't understand how a spore is in a seed...

Old 10-14-2017, 04:56 PM #10
Yard dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsterEssence View Post
Can you provide a link that proves it is systemic and be passed on in a seed. I search and can't find anywhere it says anything like that. I find that it is a fungus common in grapes. I can't understand how a spore is in a seed...
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4861902/
https://vegetablemdonline.ppath.corn...ansmission.pdf
https://www.canna-uk.com/botrytis_cinerea_in_detail
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18942979

spores are just the reproductive cells, I gave you the name for the link in the posts above. Grapes are sometimes actually infected with forms of Botrytis on purpose look up "noble rot". (I've added the last link as it's specific to seed)

Last edited by Yard dog; 10-14-2017 at 05:22 PM..

3 members found this post helpful.