Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > New Growers > 3x3x6 tent need help deciding on filter and fans VERY quiet

Thread Title Search
Click to Visit Sweet Seeds
3x3x6 tent need help deciding on filter and fans VERY quiet Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-05-2017, 06:43 AM #1
slaine87

slaine87 is on a distinguished road
3x3x6 tent need help deciding on filter and fans VERY quiet

Hi all! Super stoked to be part of this forum

This will be my first grow, 4 plants of Lithium OG Kush from Nirvanashop. Next run will be Durban Poison!

I have a 250w MH for veg and a 400w HPS. Soil will be pH adjusted shrimp compost (0,9-1,1-1,1) mixed with perlite and I will use some fertilizers I have ( 6-4-6 in veg and something along a ratio of 4-6-8 for flowering). Will be scrogging them. They'll end up in around 10 gallon pots so will be cautious not to overwater.

But my MAIN question/indecisiveness comes from the whole ventilation/odor management thing. I've read conflicting infos on what gear could do the trick for a 3x3x6, especially when it comes to keeping things very quiet. I have a very shallow sleep so I must find a way to have a powerful enough fan to get my air exchange correct while not overdoing it so much as to mess with my sleep (the tent is like 6 feet away from my bed). Also, odor is a big issue so will need recommendations as well if anyone has any.

I'm in Canada if that's any help

Thanks for your help!
slaine87 is offline Quote

Old 10-05-2017, 03:07 PM #2
starke

starke is just really nicestarke is just really nicestarke is just really nicestarke is just really nicestarke is just really nicestarke is just really nicestarke is just really nicestarke is just really nicestarke is just really nicestarke is just really nice
A six inch fan and appropriately sized carbon filter will take care of your tent. I use a Hyperfan. Good price, lightweight, good performance and comes with a speed control standard. My tent is 5x5x8. Regarding noise, you can buy noise reduced fans but you will pay a premium. There are several threads on here regarding DIY solutions for fan silencing (both for silencing the noise of the fan itself as well as for silencing the exhaust noise). Do some searches and you will find them.
“We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.” ~Robert Wilensky

"Spread the knowledge, be humble if you don't know, be helpful if you do, if you are wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically, and overgrow the world." (SuperWeed 2017)

"Always keep in mind that when the hearse pulls up to pick you up, there is no trunk or luggage rack on that bitch." (Author unknown)

Current Grow: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=343153&page=9 Page 9 forward
starke is offline Quote

Old 10-05-2017, 04:36 PM #3
stewart169
IC Mag Supporter

stewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nice
S&P Silent series. I have one in my tent and my oscillating fan in the tent makes more noise.

https://www.solerpalau-usa.com/products.html

Not cheap but if you want quiet worth it.

I have read some suggestions of a couple other brands but they have the same look of design. The squirrel cage type fans all make a lot more noise. Also using a speed control on a fan that isnt a true multi speed fan will increase the noise. YouTube S&P.

Phresh filters seem to have a good rep and following. I have one and keep it about a year and replace. Im sure there are others.

Last edited by stewart169; 10-05-2017 at 09:10 PM..
stewart169 is offline Quote

Old 10-10-2017, 02:08 AM #4
slaine87

slaine87 is on a distinguished road
thanks for the replies guys!

I now have to shop around for a decent 36x36x79 grow tent because the one I got ended up having a major defect and I would bet a 100$ that the company likely won't correct the issue...

I think I'll go along with the Vortex S-Line 347 cfm after looking around, seems to be worth the money and I'll slow it down if need be with a speed controller.
slaine87 is offline Quote

Old 10-10-2017, 02:23 AM #5
Boyd Crowder
Teem MiCr0B35

Boyd Crowder has much to be proud ofBoyd Crowder has much to be proud ofBoyd Crowder has much to be proud ofBoyd Crowder has much to be proud ofBoyd Crowder has much to be proud ofBoyd Crowder has much to be proud ofBoyd Crowder has much to be proud ofBoyd Crowder has much to be proud ofBoyd Crowder has much to be proud ofBoyd Crowder has much to be proud ofBoyd Crowder has much to be proud of
Boyd Crowder has completed 1 grow reports. Click to see my Grow Reports
go with a 4" fan and a appropriate filter - get one of those insulating hoses, they reduce noise alot ans well as a blanket wrap for the fanitself will make it neqrly silent

i would not grow in straight ewc/perlite under any circumstances tho
thats me, lets see how you make out with it

"You want to make a living in this business you need to know your ABC's. Always Be Cool" - Boyd Crowder

My Grows:
Bodhi Super Snow Lotus -Ongoing
Karma Biker Kush 1.0 2.2k Organic Circle Jerk - Done
Official Bugman Testers & Pics Thread - Ongoing
Thinking Vertical 101: The Build and Grow - Hangout/Current
Certified Noob Recycled Organic Soil Test Grow A Rama Done
GhettoGrow - Beginners Journey to Harvest for less than $1500 Done
______________________________ _
Tests:
gravity vs ultra snow storm vs bloombastic hoedown showdown growdown - Delayed till 2018
______________________________ _
Boyd Crowder is offline Quote

Old 10-11-2017, 11:02 AM #6
Soundy

Soundy is on a distinguished road
Nice choice. Lithium Kush is one of the best strains I've ever run.
Soundy is offline Quote

Old 10-12-2017, 01:47 AM #7
WCGanjanetics

WCGanjanetics is on a distinguished road
Good choice with the Vortex S-Line exhaust fan. Super quiet and light weight!
WCGanjanetics is offline Quote

Old 10-30-2017, 02:26 PM #8
FakeSunGrower

FakeSunGrower will become famous soon enough
6 inch vortex is quiet enough and quite strong , with a variable transformer you can dial the speed and strength to keep adecuate negative pressure in your tent and use it later for a bigger tent , also very important is air movement , I recommend 2 fans , one blowing right across the bottom of your light and another one right under the top of your canopy , having air movement will stop stagnant air and humidity from pooling in the corners of the tent .preventing mold , you can have relatively high heat and humidity in your tent and as long as air exchange and movement exist , the plants will thrive, good luck and keep us posted , FSG.
FakeSunGrower is offline Quote