Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Infirmary > Beneficial Nematodes vs Mosquito Dunks

Thread Title Search
Click to visit Twilight Labs
Beneficial Nematodes vs Mosquito Dunks Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-10-2017, 07:35 AM #11
philberg

philberg is on a distinguished road
That will work, it will take about 3 weeks and doesn't take much either.
philberg is offline Quote

Old 10-10-2017, 03:33 PM #12
DocTim420
The Doctor is in...

DocTim420 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Squall View Post
Got some mosquito dunks to avoid driving far out of town. This shits safe if I break it up and spread in the soil, right? Thinking of returning it and getting the bits.
My post from a different thread--

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocTim420 View Post
As we all know, Bacillus thuringiensis serotype israelensis (BTi) is effective natural pesticide to control Fungus Gnats. So how do we measure BTi? Which product is the best "deal" for buying BTi?

Well, that question requires a little back of the envelope math before one can actually compare different BTi products. You see, BTi is measured in International Toxic Units (ITU) at various concentrations ranging between 100 to 7,000 ITU/mg. The "Active Ingredient Percentage" on the label is just part of the story...gotta include the amount of ITU/mg.

An 8% "active ingredient" product formulated with 1200 ITU/mg has 96 ITU (1200 x 0.08) for each milligram of product.

A 3% "active ingredient" product formulated with 7000 ITU/mg has 210 ITU (7000 x 0.03) for each milligram of product.

Hmmm, that means the 3% products has nearly twice the amount of ITU than the 8% product. WTF?

Also, application methods are different. Some products are RTU (ready to use) for both soil and water applications, others like Vectobac require the preparation of fermentation slurry to activate the BTi, and some are only water soluble (not to be mixed directly with the grow medium).

Since not all BTi products are "equal", I have prepared a comparison of the "usual suspects" and correlated everything to cents per million ITU.

Gnatrol is the most affordable, but can only be used in a liquid suspension form--you can not add the powder directly to the grow medium.

Bits is the 2nd most affordable and can be added to both water and the directly to the potting soil. When added to the water, BTi is instantly activated...but when mixed with potting soil, BTi is gradually activated (time release of sorts) for about 21 days. Bits are basically corn cob bits sprayed with BTi.

Dunks are slow acting (gradual release as the "donut" dissolves) and can be added to the potting soil directly--but must be crumbled to a powder like consistency (PIA). Dunks are pressed donuts made of gypsum and cork bits sprayed with BTi.

I have no experience with Vectobac products but a special fermentation slurry must be prepared before the BTi is activated (an additional step that most BTi products do not require).

Microbelift BMC is already in liquid form and like Gnatrol, it must be diluted in water before use...and from my analysis, is not a bargain.

I previously used both Gnatrol and Dunks, but for the past few years I exclusively use Bits for my source of BTi ($120 for 5 gallon bucket). I mix Bits directly to my water (30 ml/20 gallon rez), mix Bits directly in the potting soil (5 ml/5 gallon container) and mix Bits with my top dressing fertility (7.5 ml/5 gallon container).

One product for all. Admittedly, I could use Dunks form my water rez, but since that rez is used and refilled daily, I prefer the faster acting Bits over the slow release Dunks.

So there you have it. If there are other BTi products you want included in my analysis, please let me know and I will be more than happy to add them.
Hope this helps.
DocTim420 is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:37 PM #13
Weird
3rd eye jedi

Weird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivor
stratiolaelaps scimitus once to the soil, stay established no need to reapply after subsequent plantings (indoor)

works on severe infestations quite well

WWDLBD

WW1.618D

Quote:
The shape it takes could be yours to choose

What you may win, what you may lose
Sativa is manna from heaven - BLueGrassToker

Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cured - Ureapwhatusow

nobody every told me i found out for myself, you've got to believe in foolish miracles - o. osborne

Although the masters make the rules
For the wise men and the fools
I got nothing, Ma, to live up to - b. Dylan
Weird is offline Quote

Old 10-13-2017, 11:19 AM #14
Mia

Mia is just really niceMia is just really niceMia is just really niceMia is just really niceMia is just really niceMia is just really niceMia is just really niceMia is just really niceMia is just really niceMia is just really nice
Insect Frass 1/2 teaspoon per gallon.
Done deal.
Mia is offline Quote

Old 10-13-2017, 12:36 PM #15
weedtoker

weedtoker is a jewel in the roughweedtoker is a jewel in the roughweedtoker is a jewel in the roughweedtoker is a jewel in the roughweedtoker is a jewel in the roughweedtoker is a jewel in the roughweedtoker is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia View Post
Insect Frass 1/2 teaspoon per gallon.
Done deal.

Care to elaborate on the why's?

cheers

Old 10-13-2017, 02:29 PM #16
buzzmobile

buzzmobile is just really nicebuzzmobile is just really nicebuzzmobile is just really nicebuzzmobile is just really nicebuzzmobile is just really nicebuzzmobile is just really nicebuzzmobile is just really nicebuzzmobile is just really nicebuzzmobile is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedtoker View Post

cheers
Insect Frass FAQs

buzzmobile is offline Quote

Old 10-13-2017, 09:50 PM #17
Mia

Mia is just really niceMia is just really niceMia is just really niceMia is just really niceMia is just really niceMia is just really niceMia is just really niceMia is just really niceMia is just really niceMia is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedtoker View Post

cheers
I am not sure what about the frass does the job, but it does, and relatively quickly(one to two weeks max they're completely gone).
In addition you get chitin(SAR), nutrients, and microbiology.
Dunks and gnatrol will work, but you gain none of those other benefits.
I'm a coco grower, I know fungus gnats well.
1/2 teaspoon is baseline for effectiveness(what I typically use every watering till mid flower), if you're fully organic etc. you may want to bump up dosage(I run synthetic base with many organic inputs) for nute content.
HTH
Mia is offline Quote

Old 10-13-2017, 10:47 PM #18
weedtoker

weedtoker is a jewel in the roughweedtoker is a jewel in the roughweedtoker is a jewel in the roughweedtoker is a jewel in the roughweedtoker is a jewel in the roughweedtoker is a jewel in the roughweedtoker is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzmobile View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia View Post
I am not sure what about the frass does the job, but it does, and relatively quickly(one to two weeks max they're completely gone).
In addition you get chitin(SAR), nutrients, and microbiology.
Dunks and gnatrol will work, but you gain none of those other benefits.
I'm a coco grower, I know fungus gnats well.
1/2 teaspoon is baseline for effectiveness(what I typically use every watering till mid flower), if you're fully organic etc. you may want to bump up dosage(I run synthetic base with many organic inputs) for nute content.
HTH
Never thought on using them in my system for gnat prevention, only BT and nematodes both as treatment and preventive. A Fat thanks and nice resins for you two eheh . I've got them doing their thing in some boxes and will start trying that one soon as it defo looks good on "paper".

Cheers.