What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HARVEST - How to dry properly

MedFaced

also, you wash your buds ? why may I ask ?
.... I never thought to wash prior to drying it

curious....

axle

Not trying to speak for the poster, but I also wash my buds before hang drying.

There are two folks that introduced the process as far as I know. Jorge Cervantes gave the world the peroxide bud wash as a means of salvaging a harvest that’s been hit by powder mildew.

The other, a CA grower that goes by the name Doc Bud invented the all purpose bud wash. The reasons are fairly obvious once mentioned but the idea blew my mind when I learned from the Doc. First, some growers foiler feed. For example, I spray my plants with fermented fish parts and other nasty shit all the way until harvest. I don’t want to smoke all that. I make lots of edibles, and I sure as shit don’t want that stuff in my food. Second, lots of folks in CA are outdoor farmers. Leave something outside for 3-4 months and see how much dust, gunk, and crap builds up. It’s not something pot smokers tend to think about, until they do.:biggrin:

I grew for years and never washed a damn thing. Why the fug would I, right? But once that light bulb flickered on, i couldn’t get it out of my head. I decided to try it. Once I did it, seeing all the crap, bugs, hairs, dirt, rinse away, I decided to make it part of my routine. Not sure if it’s just a placebo, but I agree with the inventor that my buds also taste better and cleaner now.

I hope this helps

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
Although you aren't the only one doing it, I don't see the need for indoor grows unless the dudes and dudettes have portrayed similarly to you.

MedFaced

Your reaction was my initial reaction. However, once the seed was planted...

I too felt I had no need with my indoor grows, before getting into foiler feeding and such. I guess with age and becoming more aware of what I wanted and didn’t want in my product, my feelings changed. Looking at the dust that builds up on my fans, what ends up on my towels when cleaning between grows, considering how much I consume, and the most important test of trying washed buds sold me on the idea. And of course, once I got into foilers, it became a necessity for me.

Again borrowing from the Doc, we wash every other produce we consume, why be hesitant in demanding clean cannabis.

St. Phatty

what is your favourite way to dry a plant, and why ?

thank you so much, for taking the time to post replies in my thread

-axle b robot

Do you have access to a stove-top ?

For the second phase of drying, where I take down the buds after hang-drying for 3 or 4 days, I cut the buds off and put them in a pizza box. But they're still slightly moist.

I ended up with a stack of pizza boxes, with partially dried bud.

The box on the bottom was right above the pilot light hot area on the stove.

You know the kind of stove that has a pilot light, the center stays hot.

So every box would get about 4 hours in the bottom position, then be moved up to the top, of the stack of pizza boxes. Every few times I went in the kitchen, I would check the buds, to make sure they were dry enough - no mold.

Anyway, it made for a nice pre-cure process. After 7 days the buds were dry but tasted great.

The first part was just hang-drying.

Drewsif

I hope this helps

Not to be observant, but that wouldn't be the same Doc that sells foliar dust kits would it? The one who invented high brix?

If marijuana commonly tasted like dusts, it would be pretty obvious in a vaporizer.. I wouldn't write every dissolved solid off as a contaminant.

Recently I've been into phloem, xylem banding, offset 1/2 cycle. Nutes out starches in for the long cure.. Oh this thread was about where to hand
G them... Uh, in a spare bathroom with plastic draped over to control rh.

MedFaced

Not to be observant, but that wouldn't be the same Doc that sells foliar dust kits would it? The one who invented high brix?

Yes! That’s the man. He has his own nutrient line now, but I’ve never used one of his kits. He’s a high brix grower but not the inventor of high brix growing.

axle2u

Your reaction was my initial reaction. However, once the seed was planted...

I too felt I had no need with my indoor grows, before getting into foiler feeding and such. I guess with age and becoming more aware of what I wanted and didn’t want in my product, my feelings changed. Looking at the dust that builds up on my fans, what ends up on my towels when cleaning between grows, considering how much I consume, and the most important test of trying washed buds sold me on the idea. And of course, once I got into foilers, it became a necessity for me.

Again borrowing from the Doc, we wash every other produce we consume, why be hesitant in demanding clean cannabis.

so quick question comes to mind, my friend
please enlighten me,

this wash process, are you not accidently removing trichome heads in the process...?

see I thought this,
the less you touch and/or fondle a plant, the less loss of trichomes, am I wrong with that assumption....I don't know

thanks,................:tiphat:

axle

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Trichomes are not water soluble. Besides, it a GENTAL up and down rinse. Not a washing machine agitation and spin dry.

There are a few good videos on it. Youtube it.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
Trichomes are not water soluble. Besides, it a GENTAL up and down rinse. Not a washing machine agitation and spin dry.

There are a few good videos on it. Youtube it.

so quick question comes to mind, my friend
please enlighten me,

this wash process, are you not accidently removing trichome heads in the process...?

see I thought this,
the less you touch and/or fondle a plant, the less loss of trichomes, am I wrong with that assumption....I don't know

thanks,................:tiphat:

axle
^^ what he said ^^ :)

Iowa Grown

Mine usually takes about 10-12 days. I also like to hear a snap before i start trimming. Or buck down into bins for trimming later on!

Yeah that's the key, the longer you let it hang dry results in a better cure. I mean, if you let it go for five or six day and then jar it when its still above 66% RH you will have a hard time getting rid of all that gaseous hay like smell. Anyway... I hang dry my weed at 65F / 65% RH until a stick of buds placed in a tall mason type spaghetti jar reads 67% RH or lower after its been in that jar for 24 hours. And besides all that, one of the most important things to remember when drying, is that once the plant has been cut, do not let the plant dry in a environment that is above 67F because if that happens the myrcene terpenes in your buds will begin to evaporate away.

axle2u

[iframe1]Qa1rgo_IEzc[/iframe1]

thanks tycho,

I reviewed this video when I had more time,
and ya, that looks good, I just might try it...........:biggrin:

on behalf of myself and those that might find your post helpful,
thank you for your knowledge and this post,

a very simple home remedy, are the best kind

-axle b robot (at times)

axle2u

Yeah that's the key, the longer you let it hang dry results in a better cure. I mean, if you let it go for five or six day and then jar it when its still above 66% RH you will have a hard time getting rid of all that gaseous hay like smell. Anyway... I hang dry my weed at 65F / 65% RH until a stick of buds placed in a tall mason type spaghetti jar reads 67% RH or lower after its been in that jar for 24 hours. And besides all that, one of the most important things to remember when drying, is that once the plant has been cut, do not let the plant dry in a environment that is above 67F because if that happens the myrcene terpenes in your buds will begin to evaporate away.

thank you, interesting post,
I keyed into myrcene terpenes evaporating

so couple questions come to mind now,
A) what exactly is mycrene terp, and related flavor ?
B) are there possibly other terps, effected this way ?

thanks,

axle

axle2u

I did the bud wash trick as posted here
hang dried, then trimmed, graded, and put into glass jars for cure period
ya, I got some white mold in over half my jars....
im dealing with that now, hopefully extraction process will deal with it effectively...

but ya, I should have researched it a bit more
perhaps I could have avoided this mistake
(my 1st grow)

axle

MedFaced

That’s terrible. Been there before and it feels like shit to work so hard and then see that.

Can you share details? How long where they hung for? How often were the jars burped?

I hate to say it, but check the rest of your jars real close. If there’s mold in that many already, it may be on everything assuming it was all treated the same.

Bobby Boucher

oof.. Notice how everyone said they were using hygrometers? Beginners never seal up too late, always too early. A hygrometer would have saved your crop. I use sensorpush for everything rh and temp related. They're great.

And unfortunately, those mold spores will go right through a coffee filter. It's basically unsalvageable. You could filter out the bulk of the nasty with little whatman filters, but its not really worth it considering that the end product would still be toxic.

Spend a 50 on a sensorpush. You'll be glad you did.

grayeyes

Being in So. Cal I use only the most expensive and challenging methods. After harvest I hang the plant for 4-6 days until the stems crunch but don't snap. Then the buds are placed in a cardboard box top until they are a little crunchy on the outside but still a little damp inside. Then into a gallon sized baggie which I burp for a few weeks. If any ammonia smell they go back into the box top. Oh, this is done in a room without sunlight.

Glad I don't have to buy that boveda (is that another word for sucking the money out of your pocket?).

Bobby Boucher

Boveda's are only a few bucks.. and they are rechargeable. So long as you don't throw them around and tear them up, you can recharge them as many times as you'd like.

I've been using the same 3 in my guitar cases for years. It keeps them DEAD stable for months, until the packs run out and need recharging. Without them, millions of antique acoustic instruments would dry out crack in unison.

I don't use them for my pot (gamma seals), but boveda packs are a modern miracle. There is no substitute. Nothing will keep a small area more rh stable.