What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HARVEST - How to dry properly

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Easiest way is to leave the plant in the pot and stop watering it. Just sitting in a room for a couple or so weeks. Squeeze the flowers to see if they are dry but not crumbly and if good cut the buds off and trim a bit. Done.

axle2u

ok, so some good ideas, yes...

but, what is the general consensus...
leave roots attached, hang upside down as a whole...
(for a slower drying time)....OR just hack it off at the base of stalk

???

what do you prefer, and why....?

thanks a lot guys,

-axle b robot

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
try any of the methods mentioned except one of them....
See what works best for you...

Do not leave the rootball attached...

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Easiest way is to leave the plant in the pot and stop watering it. Just sitting in a room for a couple or so weeks. Squeeze the flowers to see if they are dry but not crumbly and if good cut the buds off and trim a bit. Done.
I actually forgot about a plant I was letting the seeds "ripen" on, and I just got to it today. The buds seem drier than I'd normally consider good, but holy crap did it smoke super smooth.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Hanging the plant upside down simply makes it easier to trim. That's it. You won't be leaching extra thc into your buds. That's a myth every 14 year old believes.

As for keeping the root ball attached, do it once and you'll know. lol.
The dirt from the root ball will contaminate your bud in a big way and you'll be cursing every time you smoke a joint. Been there, done that stupid move.

Just do like everyone else. Dry your bud on racks, or hang your branches on lines or coat hangers and pay attention to it. You can chop the plant at the stalk and hang that, but that's too much trouble for me, takes up a lot of space and dries so slow it's prone to mold (in my climate). I hand buck my plants in the field into hockey bags, trim at HQ and dry on racks.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
Ah.... they say once you try it, you never go back.

It MUST be frost free freezer. Put your bud in a cardboard box, leave it open, and your weed dries via sublimation

There's a great thread on it
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=186222

Read the article good stuff. Thanks :tiphat:

I have read most of the thread and have seen many folks struggling with ambient conditions when they are drying. My Q is... how do you control your ambients when growing? Do the same thing! Easily done if you dry in your tent and, if not drying in your tent, set up your drying room with the necessary equipment to control temp and RH. Even she likes slow and easy, not necessarily a quicky!

F2F

Basements are usually good (mine runs ~60% RH so it works great).

My recommendation is keep it simple.

Leave branches longer for lower ambient RH where u dry (slows the drying process), cut them shorter for higher ambient RH conditions (speeds the process).

Cool basements work great. Hang branches across some fishing line or clothes line.

Hang dry till the buds just start to snap off then jar up ( hygrometer inside helps until you have the touch) and burp 1-2X per day until RH stabilizes at ~ 62% (my preference)

Pro Tip 😜:

If you've a super stinky strain and require stealth, or have very high RH try this. Use Dry Rite or Damprid packs in bottom of sealed container (storage bin, 5 gal bucket). Hang branches/buds above the packs. Place hygrometer inside. Seal with the lid. Vent 1x per day, checking RH on hygrometer. As the RH starts to drop and branches/buds get closer to snapping, remove some of the packs u til you get to your target RH. I've dried SKUNKY buds in the house this way, had to carry them outside far from house to vent each evening, but they were ready to jar in like 7-9 days.

I just recently found old photos from 91 of my first actual harvest and it got me thinking about this all and how I didn't have the internet or anyone to tell me what is best. I took my knowledge of drying herbs and the rest became pretty simple as it is a lot more like air curing tobacco even though most people jar their flowers at a preferred moisture content which I feel isn't always achieved by this typical stem snap many people follow. I'd rather have 15% water content beginning this so called "cure" then being on the lower end of 10% , especially when air curing and aging thin leaf types and other less dense types of flowers. Humidity may vary, but it is the most important thing in the process and I believe that no matter what, chances are that you will have mixed results do to the variables finding out that a lot of the typical things that you have read or heard of don't often explain how it really depends upon the flowers at hand as well as plant and branch size if cut up while wet. So many variables and no two plants will dry exactly the same.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing

Leave branches longer for lower ambient RH where u dry (slows the drying process), cut them shorter for higher ambient RH conditions (speeds the process).

Cool basements work great. Hang branches across some fishing line or clothes line.

Hang dry till the buds just start to snap off then jar up ( hygrometer inside helps until you have the touch) and burp 1-2X per day until RH stabilizes at ~ 62% (my preference)

Pro Tip 😜:

If you've a super stinky strain and require stealth, or have very high RH try this. Use Dry Rite or Damprid packs in bottom of sealed container (storage bin, 5 gal bucket). Hang branches/buds above the packs. Place hygrometer inside. Seal with the lid. Vent 1x per day, checking RH on hygrometer. As the RH starts to drop and branches/buds get closer to snapping, remove some of the packs u til you get to your target RH. I've dried SKUNKY buds in the house this way, had to carry them outside far from house to vent each evening, but they were ready to jar in like 7-9 days.
My wife would cut my nuts off.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?

Pro Tip 😜:

Just be careful of basement drying, because basements tend to be where the most mold is in a house. If you know your basement isn't moldy though, good idea.