What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

cmh penetration vs hps

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Any led light you have to hang 5cm away will have a terribly short throw or penetration through canopy.

CMH have a better spread if mounted in a vertical hood.

SuperBadGrower

Any led light you have to hang 5cm away will have a terribly short throw or penetration through canopy.

Exactly! :) Such a light would be pretty crappy in my opinion. Envisioning it may help to think about the relation between distribution of power/intensity and penetration. Anyway, I don't want to stray off-topic by talking about LEDs too much because HIDs are a single point light source.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
315's aren't the best penetrating light but I run 2 on a 4'x4' with a 4' 6 bulb T5 for side lighting. Works out great rock solid nugs from top to bottom. The resin production can't be beat.

i run '2' 315's in a 4x3.5tent , and i don't think its enough - i have a shit-load of 8bulb 4ft t5's - i tried using one as u do for side lighting, but had to shut it down- temp went to over 100... i mite buy a couple of cheap led's ... or maybe one more 315- i can manage 3 if i put one sideways....

gr866

Veteran
I run two 315's both vertical and horizontal. In both grow methods I average 24 to 26 zips in a 4 x 4.
Coco in Smart Pots, Canna nutes, RO water. I live by the rule of Less is More, so I run around 40% base nutes.
To reduce heat problems I run the ballast remote, outside the tent. Two grows a year, don't do summer, fucking too hot here. I also use defoliation so penetration is not an issue.

Current grow @ 30 days of 12/12

Cmoon

I run two 315's both vertical and horizontal. In both grow methods I average 24 to 26 zips in a 4 x 4.
Coco in Smart Pots, Canna nutes, RO water. I live by the rule of Less is More, so I run around 40% base nutes.
To reduce heat problems I run the ballast remote, outside the tent. Two grows a year, don't do summer, fucking too hot here. I also use defoliation so penetration is not an issue.

Current grow @ 30 days of 12/12 View Image

Simular set up and numbers, i used a 315 & 400hps last summer and flip floped them on a night bloom if the temps went above 30, although i thought a reasonable 22 with half power some weeks the cmh side was lush and a good 5 days ahead of the hps...after thought was i should have turned the lights once a week.

bests cm:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts