What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is this AVB worth cooking with?

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I think you have a lot of AVD for the amount of butter. You may try getting two more pounds of unsalted butter, taking half of your stuff with some more fresh butter and heating it again for a couple hours.

If that helps, and you don't need to go right to a pound (work up to get desired liquidity), do the rest.

I have a screen strainer and just pour the mash through it, then use a spoon (the one that came with the cooker is prefect) to squeeze out the rest of the liquid by pressing the material against the screen.

Assuming that you have two tupperware style bowls to strain the liquid into, you might try water on one and no water on the other. The plastic can be deformed to break loose the butter slab.

When I pop off the cooled solid butter (why a plastic bowl helps) I run some warm water cross the bottom to rinse off some of that nasty, but leave some so the cookies bake better. :biggrin:

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
I busted out a stainless steel strainer, and took the mix out of the slow cooker in smaller quantities, then squished with a potato masher.

End product, right before I put in the fridge......:biggrin:

RMS

:smoweed:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Looks like it has water. You will have to decide what to do with the "dairy" when you pour out the water. Maybe scrape it off and save in a jar for "cream" to add to recipe later.

Lecithin is also part of the formula, but I have gotten plenty good results without.

I just made another batch with water. I did a half-azz job straining the wet material with cheesecloth, then put the wet material back in the cooker with more water. No oil came up to the surfce after while, so I think all the butter is gone, along with the goodness. So my standard practice is now to make the butter on water, and keep most of the white layer between the water and butter when it gets put in the freezer. I think that is the cream which helps the cookies become fluffy little bombs of destructive delight.

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Edit... I have totally changed how I am vaping now that I have a hybric volocano. Using the whip, heating for 10 secs, turning on the air pump and taking one power hit. After that, the material s ABV.

Yes, depending on how hot and how much you have vaped the material. Color is a good indicator, dark brown usually means used up. Green remaining, like my Once Vaped Dope (OVD), filling a 2' bag at 375*, probably has MOST of the compounds still remaining, except the more volatile ones like terps which I like to vape.

Here is why:

This report is hard to read, but it shows a lot remains after the first bag:

https://www.rollitup.org/t/prelimin...olcano-tempature-setting-by-dr-hornby.393439/

This one is a more scientific. Referring to figure 3, I don't fret too much about leaving a lot of goodness in the material at 375* (under 200*C), since what remains will go into the edibles.

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...bis_sativa/links/0912f50f945b9136e2000000.pdf

Refer (reefer?) to figure 4. I have a habit of stuffing the container pretty full of finely ground material, which is about 1000mg, which could roll a fat doob. That chart in combination with the 375* temp, shows my method is leaving MOST of the goodness for the cookies, but I got to taste all those volatile terps and compounds with the vape.

One science paper that measured the volcano showed a large temp difference between the bottom of the material (gets the hot blast directly) and the top, over 20*C. The material on the sides doesn't get as hot as the material in the middle. If I put a lot less in each "bowl" the material would bake out more and less would remain.

From all this it would seem the best way to get it all in the vapor is to put very little in the chamber and crank the temp all the way up. Good luck inhaling it though, and it is done for butter.

I now fill one bag of the 375* for the flavor, then if I feel like the temp gets maxed @ 420* (LOL) for a second bag heavy in delta 9. Otherwise the material gets saved. The links are field tested to be true = much stronger at 420*. I usually don't do 420* unless I put a chilled glass Magma in the stream, to cool the vapor going into the bag. Hotter temps vaporize thicker, longer-chain stuff that makes me cough as it condenses in my lungs. I think they condense first as the bag cools. The magma gets amber oil and some white stuff condensing on the cool walls. That 420* material, especially with the longer vape time because the bag fills slower with the Magma resistance, is dark brown and done.

Let a bag vaped at 420*, thick vapor, sit a while. It cools, the thicker higher boiling point compounds you don't want anyways condense in the bag. Wait too long and the bag clears and the vapor is pleasant tasting, but probably weak if the good stuff condensed. Finding the right color / thickness of the vapor is key IMO for taste/buzz balance and reducing coughing. At least for my old lungs.

And yeah, you can soak a used bag in everclear and get good color from the stuff that condensed on the bag (instead of your lungs).

Last edited:

methias

Baking Bascanni to get baked

Baking Bascanni to get baked

Short answer is yes.
:woohoo:
So many different recipes to choose from.
I like to vape around 360f and I end up with AVB that looks just like yours. I save it and allow it to dry out really well. I crush it really well with a mortar and pestle then sift the whole lot through a fine tea strainer. The rough stuff that won't pass through the strainer goes to compost.
The fine powder goes into a jar labeled "Bascanni " and is ready to be used.
I make a double batch of Costco brownies, replace 3/4 of the water with chocolate syrup, throw in some shredded coconut, and 120 to 150 ml of the powered Bascanni. Cook as directed.
Some of my friends complained (bragged?) that they were still toasted 24 hours later.
No driving for 12 hours after eating please.:tiphat:

Gonna try peanut butter cookies or pecan pie soon.

Keep your buds dry and your Pax charged.

Vape on kids.

tetragrammaton

Veteran
Here is my experience of AVB used in "cooking". I recently purchased a Seshgear Commute and love it. I ended up with a lot of AVB.

I did some research, and found a Leafly article and a High Times article explaining the many uses, as I was wondering if I should throw away the AVB or if it's of any use. I was surprised to find out that many people claim that it still works, as I had assumed I was getting all of the vapor.

I found out that one of the methods is just using it as is, meaning I don't have to make cannabutter or any sort of infusion to enjoy the claimed effectiveness of it. They claimed to start slow and work your way up to test the potency as the AVB potency varies from vape to vape, strain to strain, etc... etc...

I disregarded that suggestion, and toasted some french bread, got some homemade pico de gallo, and then dumped at least 5 grams into it, mixed it all together, and ate it all.

I was already high from vaping all day, but within about an hour, I started feeling a very noticable edible high with a lot of body sensations. I then went to sleep. I normally sleep 6 hours before I'm wide awake, but I slept 8 hours and was still stoned and remained so until I decided to start vaping again. I will repeat this from now on.

I'm a bong guy, but ever since I got my dry herbal vaporizer, I haven't felt the need or want to hit my bong, which is something I never thought I'd say.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Hi Mr. Tetra! If you are vaping, have you noticed the change in the aroma after one hit, or two? I am using a heated chamber on the volcano, and now only take one hit for each gram load. There is a lot of actives left in that ABV.

Have you noticed that smell with your rig? I think it is plant chlorophyll, but not sure. It makes me cough badly, so I avoid hitting the bud so much that the nasty smelling stuff comes off. The color of the AVB is dark green, and it has no smell after it has cooled down. I make butter with it, and cookies with the butter.

tetragrammaton

Veteran
Hi Mr. Tetra! If you are vaping, have you noticed the change in the aroma after one hit, or two? I am using a heated chamber on the volcano, and now only take one hit for each gram load. There is a lot of actives left in that ABV.

Have you noticed that smell with your rig? I think it is plant chlorophyll, but not sure. It makes me cough badly, so I avoid hitting the bud so much that the nasty smelling stuff comes off. The color of the AVB is dark green, and it has no smell after it has cooled down. I make butter with it, and cookies with the butter.

Oh definitely. Ever since getting my vape, I've been like a kid, constantly playing around with it and finding out what I like best. I find that regardless of temperature setting (although the highest mine goes is up to 420F,) the first hit is always the most flavorful by far, but also the one with the less "vape". After about two or three hits, I start getting nice vape production. After a while, I stop getting vapor, but luckily I don't get a bad taste as I have from previous vaporizors that give you that almost "burned popcorn" taste.

Prior to getting my vaporizor, my bong was my delivery method of choice, and I honestly didn't ever see the day of me raving about a vaporizer. I mean, yeah I've had positive experiences with the Volcano, but they were my friends, as I myself couldn't justify the money on one. Now that I am able to vape portably and it's quality vapor, I haven't felt the need or desire to smoke out of my bowl or my bong. Plus, I feel that I get more out of my cannabis now, since I eat the AVP afterwards.

The only thing "negative" I see about my new toy is that I might now actually get a Volcano, lol.

ozzieAI

Veteran
Regardless if you cook with abv or cannabis if you keep the material in the mix you get stronger results...grind or crush finely and potency with be increased...but tastes icky.....

depends on your desired outcome i suppose???

...but yes if i didn't grow and had to buy...i WOULD use my abv for cooking....

tetragrammaton

Veteran
To be honest, and I know I'm probably in the minority here on this one, but I've always enjoyed the taste of cannabis, cannabutter, etc... and found that eating AVB was no different (or should I say, no "worse" that the taste of non-vaped cannabis. The taste was definitely milder, but I didn't notice anything bad about it.

I grow obviously, so if I was going to make actual edibles I would use my trim or flower or kief, etc... but my reason for consuming AVB is because I recently bought a vape and found out that I can still get use out of it. Hence my experiment. Once I proved to myself that it works, I realized that throwing away my vaped weed would be stupid, as I can simply eat it as a snack if I want. Obviously it's not as potent as the same ammount un-vaped, but I was just as surprised as anyone that it contained enough of anything to get me fucked for the entire night and following day.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
If you have enough bud to do this, only hit the material once, or twice depending. Smell the warm material, and see what I mean. It doesn't matter which strain, that stink is the predominate smell. It makes me cough. After that same ABV cools off, the bad smell is gone.

So I toss that ABV in a container, and take another fresh material hit. The ABV adds up quick, and then make butter, or whatever you do.

I found some papers on how much THC is left in ABV, and posted them over in the cooking with ABV thread. Bottom line is - a lot, depending on how hard you vape it. I get one lung filled from 1 gram, in the new volcano hybrid - set at 405*F. I set the chamber on the heat for about 10-15 seconds to warm it up, turn on the fan, and fill my lungs. That's it. Best damn smell, great for the lungs, probably kills Covid and cures asthma, and NO cough. After that one hit the stuff stinks. This is why the whip is way better than the bag.

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Tetra: The way I am doing it now with the hybrid and whip, well I am going through a lot of material.

Vaping the terps off is a totally different high, and I believe good for your lungs. I have read that the terps are where the high comes from, and that may be true. I no longer cough at all. Takes about 4-5 ea, 1 gr hits, to get going.

No waste, I get whatever is left still on the material, when I make the butter. I know the terps are gone cause the ABV material has almost no smell once it cools, and the nasty chlorophyll smell is gone too. When I de-carb in the oven (30 mins@250*F), I smell no terps, but do get a slight whiff like there was hash oil being warmed. That nasty "chlorophyl" smell is gone too.

That decarbed ABV, still green, is what goes into the butter, which I'm making on water, right now as I type. The butter gets green, but so what? Good place for the chlorophyl, better would be in the water that turns brown as the butter is made. What is that nasty stuff? Make butter this way one time, and you will stop eating the ABV when you see the water and whatever it absorbed.

Per those papers I posted earlier in this thread, I think my ABV is near 10%, maybe more. 75gr of ABV @ 10% is 7.5gr in the butter (1.25 #). I use about half that butter in a batch of 48 cookies, so figure 3.7 gr in 48 cookies, which is about 75 mg per cookie. Also, the THC changes to delta-11 or something, which is supposed to be 4-5x as strong when eaten due to internal reactions. The edibles are where the buzz gets serious. Combine the vaping and edibles, and it feels good.

I freeze the butter. To make cookies, I add about a spoon of lechithin, when I cut off enough for a batch and melt at 250*F. That lecithin really needs to be stirred into the hot butter, to mix.

It is possible that the combination of 1) vaping at 405*, 2) decarb 30 mins@250*, 3) cooking the cookie 365* for 10 mins - might be changing actives to CBN. I dunno. The effects on different people vary between a nice pleasant high to severe couchlock. All sleep well.

Latest posts

Latest posts