What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do you remember

waveguide

Veteran
i got the feeling something or someone got a hold of donovan, like the mafia or something.. you know, suddenly the lime light and all wasn't such a good idea for him.

nukklehead

I missed some of the greatest concerts outdoors due to age ( young... not bitchin or braggin:biggrin:) 1st one was 16 texas jam 78... If i can remember ...:biggrin:.... Aerosmith, Van Halen, Heart,Nugent... among others...

cheech and chong were there too.....:woohoo:

I love them but they would try to put on skits between acts...

I think the heat got to them... as well as the rest of us...... 100+ degrees....

Crashed the waffle house afterwards..... Good Times ... !!!

fulltimehuman

Damn, I can't really be in the grey-ball club, first concert was, okay I'm embarrassed, Neil Sedaka at the Minnesota State Fair 1975. But, But, Styx played also! Ok. I hated Styx as well. I did get to see Al Di Miola and Paco De Lucia. Thanks Uncle Mark...for 'hiding' that Five kilo's of Afghani Hash in the back cupboard of my moms credenza..........ssssssshhhhhhh.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
I had a good gig during the early eighties working for a private security co.that worked a lot of concerts along with other venues and events.
Here are a few of the passes I saved. Met lots of cool and not so cool peeps..
I have some good stories.. Smoked a jay with Johnny Thunders. Scraped Joe Perry off the floor one night after he fell flat on his face in the back lot and gave himself a bloody nose. "I think I broke my fuckin nose.. Fuck! " LOL.
Had to control a drunken Alvin Lee who was running around a studio party one night being a total asshole screaming at and accusing everyone of stealing his t-shirt. Everyone there was ready to give him a beat down. LOL. I remember everyone laughing about it after he finally passed out.
picture.php

dddaver

Veteran
Damn, man. I saw Hot Tuna at the Syracuse War Memorial. I think it was the summer of '72? I always got a kick out of that old black dude, Papa John Creech, playing rock and roll on his fiddle. He was great too. Their "Water Song" actually sounds to me lust like running water in music form.

Hey nuk (or anybody really), check this out if you haven't seen it. Freaking hilarious:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3iBGRJmmyc&list=PLTtM96PSK0tsxtDxi91b5w26vnGVsYH65

Anybody remember Gary Puckett and the Union Gap and his "Young Girl Get Out of MY Mind"? I saw them at the NYS Fair about '66? And sure enough, that perv called a group of young girls up on stage and disappeared in the back with them. DOH! WTF?

There I was a young boy about 11. Whoa. Is this how to get girls? ;-P Must be, works for him.

nukklehead

Damn, man. I saw Hot Tuna at the Syracuse War Memorial. I think it was the summer of '72? I always got a kick out of that old black dude, Papa John Creech, playing rock and roll on his fiddle. He was great too. Their "Water Song" actually sounds to me lust like running water in music form.

Hey nuk (or anybody really), check this out if you haven't seen it. Freaking hilarious:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3iBGRJmmyc&list=PLTtM96PSK0tsxtDxi91b5w26vnGVsYH65

Anybody remember Gary Puckett and the Union Gap and his "Young Girl Get Out of MY Mind"? I saw them at the NYS Fair about '66? And sure enough, that perv called a group of young girls up on stage and disappeared in the back with them. DOH! WTF?

There I was a young boy about 11. Whoa. Is this how to get girls? ;-P Must be, works for him.

thats sweet dave.. ROFLMAO...:biggrin:
Guess puckett got to fuckett.. ding ding ding..
Captain.. nice collection of memorabilia.... keep hold of that... !!

Later in life saw Aerosmith... cant remember what year... 70ish
was on greatest hits tour... wont say where (security) but tyler fell
off the stage drunk off his ass and cracked his skull....

that was the the end of that tour and the high point of tylers spiral downhill.... got a free copy of greatest hits for turning in the ticket stub... looking back probably should have kept the ticket stub:biggrin:

Glad to see they made a sober (FWIW) comeback.....

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
First concert I saw was the Turtles in 1969..
Two years later Flo and Eddie (from the Turtles) were with Frank Zappa and the Mothers of invention at a 2000 seat hall,
doing the concert that 2 months later was recorded and released as "Live at the Filmore East"...

What a great performance that was!
At the end of the concert, Frank and crew were arrested for the show and charged with "lewd and lascivious performance!

Frank Zappa was an amazing guitarist, and Flo and Eddie are just fantastic performers!

dddaver

Veteran
"Dynamo hum....dynamo hum" :biggrin:

I saw Frank play in '74 at Ithaca College, his marimba player's alma mater. I wonder if Flo and Edie were with him. Prolly.

At the end of the show there were a thousand lit matches (or lighters) fired up in the dark. Do the kids still do that?

Betterhaff

Veteran
Flo and Eddie were with The Mothers in ’70 & ’71. I saw F & E again about 15 years ago and they are definitely entertaining.

artfog

I missed much great 60/70 entertainment, Mothers of invention etc. then. My sister invited me to go w/ her and friends to Woodstock I was too involved w/ my art. It could have been a great loss but where ever you went there was something going on. In the 60s I could wake up in some tied died tent w/a crazy crowd and/or nice company - never a dull moment. It seems never to gets old. More recently in 1983 I had a déjà vu moment. My first few nights working at ‘the Garden’ (MSG) I just got to 33rd & 7th the whole place was surrounded by tents and mostly young hippies. It was a Jerry Garcia & the Grateful Dead concert. They started camping out days before the concert. They looked like cleaned –up versions or Disney hippies. A lot of grass. Amazingly it worked out because Security there is no joke all of them are big and smart. If any hippies were near the entrance it was only because they wanted it that way. Some events used mounted police to clear it up the crowds. It was a weird experience w/ more to come.

artfog

I was just going into my sr. year in high school in central NY the summer in '72. I don't remember that particular concert but I do remember a outdoor concert supposed to be held at Watkins Glen that summer. Maybe that was the same one though.

The best outdoor concert I ever went to was at Rich Stadium near Buffalo where the Bill's play, in the summer of '77, not long after Elvis passed. Yes, J Giels, Bob Seger, and Donovan. We were on about the 30 yard line until a Frizbee came out of no-where and bonked the wife in the noggin, then we went and found seats. Rick Wakeman of Yes was wild on that synthesizer. Seger was great. J Giels bade tribute to Elvis. Donovan was meh. Why was he even there?

I liked that outdoor concert even better than one a few years later that had The Allman Brothers (with Dickie Betts and his red guitar) and The Outlaws as a second bill, at The Saratoga Springs State Park (near Albany) outdoors in an ampitheater at the base of a hill with state fuzz strolling by as we sat in groups passing joints on the hill as strains of wailing axes wafted up the hill. FANTASTIC acoustics. Absolute blast. The sound in the amphitheater itself wasn't bad either.
Those sound like great concerts. I miss the best but I was in art school in a crazy 'natural high' as many of my friends put it. Still, I would of loved to see Allman Bros. I agree what the hell was Donoban doing there?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice collection of tickets, Bud!

And look at the prices!!

Yep, saw Traffic a few times...never Jefferson Airplane, yep, Johnny Winter. Wished I could have seen the "original" Byrds.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I posted this picture a week ago on another thread, but thought it applies here as well.

I found these old concert ticket stubs in a box in the attic a few weeks ago....oh, and a photo I took of Frank Z. around '73 or '74...
I know there's a lot more, but I haven't found them yet...

Do you remember these concerts?

nope, never saw Jefferson Airplane dammit! would have traded a nut to though...:woohoo: Grace was the hottest woman on the planet to me!:tiphat:

White Beard

I remember when they put the metal ring antenna between the rabbit ears and it was suppose to improve the reception. Mom wanted one bad. Almost as much as something better than needle nose pliers for the three channels we did get.
You know that’s how ViseGrips came to be, right?

gladysvjubb

Veteran
I saw the Rolling Stones in the Wintergarden in San Francisco Had to be '72 or '73. There were a lot of gray hairs in the audience, lots of pot. It was an electrical time! Saw Kenny Rogers and the First Edition at Troy State University in Troy, Alabama around '70-'71. Around 1973 I saw Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young in Boston. I saw Chicago in Shelton, Ct at the Pinecrest Country Club. My friend with benefits Rosalind was fucking me and the Country Club Owner. She got me right in front of the band. Damn they were good! Good fucking times!!!

St. Phatty

I remember 3 Dog Night & Foreigner.

& Mott the Hoople.

And playing outside in the woods & swamps for 1/2 days at a time.

Latest posts

Latest posts