What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do you remember

Betterhaff

Veteran
Near Jackson MI, August 1970. Some of the groups were Ten Years After, Jethro Tull, Faces, James Gang, Mountain and bunch of Detroit bands like The Stooges, Bob Seger, Mitch Ryder, and more. $4.50.

nukklehead

Near Jackson MI, August 1970. Some of the groups were Ten Years After, Jethro Tull, Faces, James Gang, Mountain and bunch of Detroit bands like The Stooges, Bob Seger, Mitch Ryder, and more. $4.50.

Nice.. was stewart still with faces at the time?? would love to have seen ronnie lane in the day RIP...
Joe with the gang had to rock out.... peace

grazerd

I was born too late for the 70s insanity, but "smokin' banana peels" did continue to pop-up through the 80s and 90s - it was featured in the popular book "Anarchist's Cookbook" (and was the title of a song by the Dead Milkmen in the late 80s).

Another popular potential source of altered state happiness that got mentioned in the AC: nutmeg. Nevermind that you have to consume a comically large amount - way more than a person can comfortably get down. I think a person might have more luck if they got their hands on whole mace and ground it themselves - but still, there are easier ways.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Nice.. was stewart still with faces at the time?? would love to have seen ronnie lane in the day RIP...

Yep, Stewart was there. Poor Ronnie was taken too soon…but while he was with us he truly loved what he did and so did I.

[youtubeif]ojKOlgBjwc4[/youtubeif]

Norcalsun

I remember paying $2 on Tuesdays (I believe) at Winterland, SF, Ca. And seeing 4 to 5 bands. Lee Micheals, Black Oak Arkanasas, Climax Blues Band, Golden Earring, Joe Crocker, Yes, I could go on and on. I almost cried when Winterland was finally shut down. Back then concerts were "real". No rehearsed time limits and not commercialized. Concerts nowadays are nothing like the older ones.

nukklehead

I remember paying $2 on Tuesdays (I believe) at Winterland, SF, Ca. And seeing 4 to 5 bands. Lee Micheals, Black Oak Arkanasas, Climax Blues Band, Golden Earring, Joe Crocker, Yes, I could go on and on. I almost cried when Winterland was finally shut down. Back then concerts were "real". No rehearsed time limits and not commercialized. Concerts nowadays are nothing like the older ones.

sweet concert also.. but im gonna give you a little shit..
Joe wasnt related to betty nor was he a slow cooker...

j/j... :biggrin:

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I remember when they put the metal ring antenna between the rabbit ears and it was suppose to improve the reception. Mom wanted one bad. Almost as much as something better than needle nose pliers for the three channels we did get.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
420giveaway
Ive heard that the song was referring to a vibrator. "Electrical banana" and all that.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Lots of comments about remembering old concerts.... I like it..

Does anyone here remember the Mt. Pocono Rock Festival in Pennsyvania in the summer of '72....Over 300,000 people showed up...

It was a 2 1/2 day long concert, and it rained most of the weekend, but man was it ever a lot of fun!
All kinds of great groups played there including Emerson, Lake and Palmer..

nukklehead

Lots of comments about remembering old concerts.... I like it..

Does anyone here remember the Mt. Pocono Rock Festival in Pennsyvania in the summer of '72....Over 300,000 people showed up...

It was a 2 1/2 day long concert, and it rained most of the weekend, but man was it ever a lot of fun!
All kinds of great groups played there including Emerson, Lake and Palmer..

Sounds like another goodie..... I was there in spirit...:biggrin:
300k is a pretty awesome turnout... .............where was I ?????
eeeeeh... lets not go there cus I probably cant remember..

peace

dddaver

Veteran
I was just going into my sr. year in high school in central NY the summer in '72. I don't remember that particular concert but I do remember a outdoor concert supposed to be held at Watkins Glen that summer. Maybe that was the same one though.

The best outdoor concert I ever went to was at Rich Stadium near Buffalo where the Bill's play, in the summer of '77, not long after Elvis passed. Yes, J Giels, Bob Seger, and Donovan. We were on about the 30 yard line until a Frizbee came out of no-where and bonked the wife in the noggin, then we went and found seats. Rick Wakeman of Yes was wild on that synthesizer. Seger was great. J Giels bade tribute to Elvis. Donovan was meh. Why was he even there?

I liked that outdoor concert even better than one a few years later that had The Allman Brothers (with Dickie Betts and his red guitar) and The Outlaws as a second bill, at The Saratoga Springs State Park (near Albany) outdoors in an ampitheater at the base of a hill with state fuzz strolling by as we sat in groups passing joints on the hill as strains of wailing axes wafted up the hill. FANTASTIC acoustics. Absolute blast. The sound in the amphitheater itself wasn't bad either.