What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

(K-salt) of IBA K-IBA

shaggyballs

Veteran
You can make K-IBA by combining IBA with a solution of KOH.
More info here: http://www.mbferts.com/IBA-3-Auxin-Indole-Butyric-Acid-Plant-Hormone-Root-Hormone-169.htm
:thank you:

NOT TRUE

So as long as I dissolve with KOH I will have a the exact same thing as what is being refered to as K-IBA.

NOT TRUE

Nonsense, the IBA K-salt is simply more soluble.

-Chimera
:thank you:

A the only difference between IBA and K-IBA is K-IBA is more soluble.

NOT TRUE

Sounds like KOH is the best choice for disolving IBA!!!

NOT TRUE

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
It's impractical for home users to work with and store compounds dissolved in KOH. Even in the lab, K-IBA is a more useable form since it's readily soluble in water, thus the stock solution remains at a more neutral pH.

Once dissolved and made into a working solution, there is no real difference between the two.

-Chimera

shaggyballs

Veteran
It's impractical for home users to work with and store compounds dissolved in KOH. Even in the lab, K-IBA is a more useable form since it's readily soluble in water, thus the stock solution remains at a more neutral pH.

Once dissolved and made into a working solution, there is no real difference between the two.

-Chimera

Thank you for the very clear reply.:tiphat:

nr nodes

-Chimera
May I ask why you say it's impractical? Do you mean just because of the caustic nature?

Dkgrower

Veteran
Dont waste your time on these topics - Cannabis as a species are super easy to root

7 days and 99% succes rate, even in 1000s you dont need these kind off compounds.

Just try and use a stronger rooting hormone for thick stem indicas (or older stems) to speed up the rooting process.

Its a waste off money and more important time

nr nodes

Dont waste your time on these topics - Cannabis as a species are super easy to root

7 days and 99% succes rate, even in 1000s you dont need these kind off compounds.

Just try and use a stronger rooting hormone for thick stem indicas (or older stems) to speed up the rooting process.

Its a waste off money and more important time
I strongly disagree. And I'm not using it just for rooting.

nr nodes

Very interested in what your take is on K-IBA :woohoo:
And how you like to use it?
At what rate and timing?
If you would be so kind!!:tiphat:

You might find this helpful: http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/ejournals/JARS/v45n2/v45n2-mcguire.htm

I use it only for veg through week 1or2 of flower, because it's been shown to have negative effects on trichome development. My stock solution is ~5000ppm IBA and half as much NAA, which I currently add to the res at .1ml/L.

It makes a massive difference for root development and speed. I also use it for rooting starts, dipped for ~15sec at about 2-3drops/1ml. There's a recipe posted somewhere for making a gel, been meaning to try that too.

Dkgrower

Veteran
You might find this helpful: http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/ejournals/JARS/v45n2/v45n2-mcguire.htm

I use it only for veg through week 1or2 of flower, because it's been shown to have negative effects on trichome development. My stock solution is ~5000ppm IBA and half as much NAA, which I currently add to the res at .1ml/L.

It makes a massive difference for root development and speed. I also use it for rooting starts, dipped for ~15sec at about 2-3drops/1ml. There's a recipe posted somewhere for making a gel, been meaning to try that too.

So how fast do they get roots ?

And how much veg time can u cut down compared to not using it

Sry for being so sceptical

omera1

Thats the post i was waiting for! When you say 5000ppm IBA and half as much NAA, do you mean 5000ppm IBA + 2500ppm NAA ?

nr nodes

So how fast do they get roots ?

And how much veg time can u cut down compared to not using it

Sry for being so sceptical

I've been using it so long it's hard to say, and not so much about how fast roots form, but how quickly the mass builds. Not sure about cutting down veg time either, that's just too variable to conditions, but there's definitely a much better root/shoot ratio than without it. I'd recommend testing some small clones, then you'll be able to answer those questions based on your garden parameters.

Thats the post i was waiting for! When you say 5000ppm IBA and half as much NAA, do you mean 5000ppm IBA + 2500ppm NAA ?
Yes, but other ratios might be good too, I haven't tried. The 2:1 figure comes from some articles I found, and seems common for the commercially available mixes too (although dilution rates vary based on their stock strength). Dig through the hormone threads here and on other forums, you should find good info with better details.