What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

After dry, 53% ur in jar! Open or close jar?

onlyweed94

hello forum friends!
after the dry I put the buds in the pot and the humidity is 53%.u.r
now I have a doubt.
open the jars or do not open the jars ????

wutwut

Veteran
winner@420giveaway
62% is ideal - under 55% curing will stop and up to 64% it's possible to lose buds by mold

V

voidpainter

What your room rH ? If its around 55-60 open them.

Edit: is this after a few days in jar? If its been 52 for a while it doesnt matter much in my opinion. Just leave it closed if thats the case. If you just jared them wait a couple of days and follow if the rh rises, dont let it rise above 62 in that case (by burping etc.).

onlyweed94

What your room rH ? If its around 55-60 open them.

Edit: is this after a few days in jar? If its been 52 for a while it doesnt matter much in my opinion. Just leave it closed if thats the case. If you just jared them wait a couple of days and follow if the rh rises, dont let it rise above 62 in that case (by burping etc.).

the buds have been in a jar for 3 days. the room is 50% ur.
so I don't burp?

troutman

Seed Whore
I burp from time to time. Not every day though. During the cure, gases are being produced as the chlorophyll breaks down. :tiphat:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
hello forum friends!
after the dry I put the buds in the pot and the humidity is 53%.u.r
now I have a doubt.
open the jars or do not open the jars ????

If you dry and put the in the jar, at 53, I'm pretty sure there's still moisture in the center. I'm willing to bet it's going to go up to at least 60. But I wouldn't open it until it goes over that. Like Trout said, open and close to release any off gasses.

For long term, pull from a smaller jar so your not always opening your big jar. I vac pack and freeze for long term.

troutman

Seed Whore
I open my jar when I roll some up like I did last night. :biggrin:

Note: Adding a fresh bud or two into the jar may help if your too dry. I think I read of that somewhere.

This is where staggered harvesting helps. :tiphat:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
If you have another plant growing, like trout mentioned, you can put one fan leaf in your jar, but not long or it will start to mould. Watch it like a hawk and turn it over a few times for a few hours then pull the leaf out.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
If you have another plant growing, like trout mentioned, you can put one fan leaf in your jar, but not long or it will start to mould. Watch it like a hawk and turn it over a few times for a few hours then pull the leaf out.
Something I do is sniff my jars, becasue I love their fragrance but, more importantly it shows me how the cure is going. In the course of doing this, moist air enters the jar and rises the RH. I've had no issues with this and, might be a better option than adding a fan leaf that could mold on you.

... and as you previously mentioned, there is "moocho" moisture that hasn't permeated from the center of the buds. I have buds that are 2 years old and the jars are holding at 59-60% and definitely noticeable when I grind my buds.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Something I do is sniff my jars, becasue I love their fragrance but, more importantly it shows me how the cure is going. In the course of doing this, moist air enters the jar and rises the RH. I've had no issues with this and, might be a better option than adding a fan leaf that could mold on you.

... and as you previously mentioned, there is "moocho" moisture that hasn't permeated from the center of the buds. I have buds that are 2 years old and the jars are holding at 59-60% and definitely noticeable when I grind my buds.

I know what you mean. I have an automated curing system. The beautiful smells come out at week 3. Mouth watering even.

It's pretty dry here. If I open one up over and over again, it'll turn crispy in a few weeks and to dust in a month.

Lightmeup209639

Hi friend, I advise against keeping freshly dried buds in a jar with a closed lid, especially if they have any moisture content! If you forget them, they will go ‘sour’, and putrid with a horrible pukey smell. If your buds get like this, they will 'smell like puke', be too harsh and unsmokable! You will wish you had left them green!

If you are inexperienced with the curing process, you will be better off keeping your precious ‘dried’ buds in a paper bag, in a dry drawer, but also somewhere where you get a bit of damp or condensation in your house. This slight damp may assist in the curing process by helping oxidization to take place. For example you may get black mold where there is damp (which is a type of fungus). At least the buds will get some curing. Eventually they will totally cure, although this takes time, maybe years. But at least you won't waste six months of growing.

There is more on tobacco curing here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacco#Curing You will note there are several types of curing: Air-cured, Fire-cured, Flue-cured, Sun-cured. Then there is also subsequent aging which allows for the slow oxidation and degradation, and this is deemed to do things like: give a sweet, fruity or aromatic flavour, that contributes to the "smoothness" of the smoke, (like tobacco).

As you have seen (above
laughing.gif
)... There is something in the tobacco making process called 'Flue-curing'. It is not the greatest pot curing process, but nice (IMO) if you have a very green batch you want to make useable, and if it's just for personal consumption. You can dry cannabis off the bush this way, roll joints, and it's fine. Not too harsh.

To flue-cure - Simply roll joints with your dry green pot, keeping the joints as long as possible. You may wish to roll quite a few joints to get some curing going. Now light the end of the joint carefully, and take just a few puffs before leaving the joint to go out. Usually I leave my freshly flue-cured joints for at least 12 hours before I go back to them. After 12 hours, you can also give them a bit more of a smoke for futher curing. Now the good bit. You can either continue to smoke your flue-cured joints like this. Or... empty the joint contents into a container, and crush the contents with your fingers to make a fine powder, approximately 0.5mm particles. Now, use this powder as a smokable in your pipe, or joints. I think you will find this flue-cured mixture becomes quite a smooth and stonger pot especially in a pipe.
biglaugh.gif

Proper Flue-curing is a bit more complicated. But the process is common, and flue-cured tobacco accounts for more than 90% of US tobacco production. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flue-cured_tobacco

I think the curing process is often very misunderstood. But I think you can speed the curing process up, by drying your plants under the lights for a few weeks. Wiki says, ‘The curing process is something to do with; the slow oxidation and degradation of plant matter’. There is more on tobacco curing here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacco#Curing