What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to disguise A/C

I'm trying to set up a sealed room,inside a house th as t already has central air/heat.I think it would look suspicious to run s min split, in a room,where the whole house is being cooled with central air.Any way I could m as ke it work without looking suspicious.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If it’s a sealed room with only yourself using it then why worry,,,,s2

I was planning on using a mini split,but people would see the mini splits condensing unit outside,and to me that would see suspicious because the house already has central air.i don't think a portable A/C would be powerful enough to cool 8 1000's.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
No disrespect, but I think you're being a little bit too paranoid....

maybe I'm wrong, but I can't imagine any neighbors being suspicious about a mini-split's outdoor condenser unit..

If you still think so, can't you hide it behind a fence or some bushes or in your backyard?
Mini-split outdoor unit can't be heard from more than 10 or 15 feet away...they're very quiet...

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Why put the condenser outside. Can't you chuck the heat out for your central system to take care of it?

No disrespect, but I think you're being a little bit too paranoid....

maybe I'm wrong, but I can't imagine any neighbors being suspicious about a mini-split's outdoor condenser unit..

If you still think so, can't you hide it behind a fence or some bushes or in your backyard?
Mini-split outdoor unit can't be heard from more than 10 or 15 feet away...they're very quiet...

This room won't be set up in Co,that's why I'm being overly cautious

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
I was planning on using a mini split,but people would see the mini splits condensing unit outside,and to me that would see suspicious because the house already has central air.i don't think a portable A/C would be powerful enough to cool 8 1000's.

Pick some QB LEDs. They will help lower down your power bills a lot. :biggrin:

CrushnYuba

People have central units and mini splits in the same home all the time. I have and it wasn't for growing. I had an older inefficient central air and i wanted to cool a single area efficiently without the whole home. I also had a home with an addition put on it, and the central unit was a little over taxed. Sometimes people living together just like different temperatures. Its not that weird.

I think it's way less suspicious then dumping steamy heat out of a vent in the winter. I think you are just overthinking it. Only another pot grower sees a mini split and thinks ganja.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran

Absolutely not,,,,my moby air con unit is a very good one but just about handles 4 = 600w HPS,,,,
No way is any household moby gonna cool 8 = 1000w,,then there’s the stench when using it as it ducts outside,,,,best of luck though,,s2:tiphat:

There are 2 and 3 ton portable units out there. MovinCool and IdealAir are two companies that produce them.

If I were in the OP’s situation, I’d probably just surround the unit outside with some sort of evergreen shrubbery.. a mini split is going to be more efficient than a portable a/c no matter how you slice it. However, if you come across a killer deal on the portable units you could definitely make it work.

eebbnflow

Nothing wrong with this ,it is good to be aware of things. I went through this , friends called me paranoid LOL . As mentioned above . Shrubs would be best to hide it IMO Put it somewhere good , best as you can out of sight .obviously you want it in the back yard .
I was almost going to build a fence and lattice around mine all nice nice .
Good luck keep us posted