What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hop Stunt Viroid in Cannabis

FullyMeltedDome

Veteran
So if one Parent plant had Vroid(say the Mom) and the other didnt,would all the seeds bred from that also be contaminated?Wonder what are the %'tages of offspring that carry the virus. Peace and Stay Safe,DancesWithWeed.
🍀🍻✌🏻🌈

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
The people that have that stuff are keeping it alive and maintaining it out of greed. Those clones you are using are dangerous to everybody. If you are 75% sure you have it, then you need to shut down and clean everything up. Stop taking clones from outside sources because the sources you are using are bad. Reboot and learn from your mistakes and only clone your own mothers you made from your own seed. Never take a clone from anyone and you won't have any problems. 😎

44:86N

So if one Parent plant had Vroid(say the Mom) and the other didnt,would all the seeds bred from that also be contaminated?Wonder what are the %'tages of offspring that carry the virus. Peace and Stay Safe,DancesWithWeed.
🍀🍻✌🏻🌈

It carries the virus.

44:86N

The people that have that stuff are keeping it alive and maintaining it out of greed. Those clones you are using are dangerous to everybody. If you are 75% sure you have it, then you need to shut down and clean everything up. Stop taking clones from outside sources because the sources you are using are bad. Reboot and learn from your mistakes and only clone your own mothers you made from your own seed. Never take a clone from anyone and you won't have any problems. 😎

Any commercial grower providing clones really needs to have their stock virus indexed on a regular basis. And yes, there have been occasions in the ornamental industry where major propagators had to destroy all of the stock in a range.

MSU guide for virus management:
https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/how_to_manage_plant_viruses_in_the_greenhouse

Sunshineinabag

Fire cleanses I'm told lol

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
hate to be that guy...but is it possible some of these cases are just bad roots?

it's just like the broad russet mites shit. a thing everyone used as a scapegoat for bad growing.

a virus only affecting one branch? don't sound like no virus i ever heard of. what i have experienced in my own life that would cause something like that has usually always come down to dead roots in the pot.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
hate to be that guy...but is it possible some of these cases are just bad roots?

it's just like the broad russet mites shit. a thing everyone used as a scapegoat for bad growing.

a virus only affecting one branch? don't sound like no virus i ever heard of. what i have experienced in my own life that would cause something like that has usually always come down to dead roots in the pot.

You are probably right in one way are another. If I find my super moms from my own grows using killer seed. I won't need anything from anyone else. Don't take clones from other people only from your own grows. That way one can't blame it on Viroid and learn better water management. 😎

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran

Ignorant fucker

Principante8

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_2112283.jpg Views:	2 Size:	85.7 KB ID:	18076252

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_2112284.jpg Views:	2 Size:	105.5 KB ID:	18076253

It's not a virus it's a viroid. Not that that means much to me, but it it what it is. Maybe read about viroids specifically? It will only affect one branch if you use infected scissors to cut that one branch. After a while it'll spread throughout the plant, especially in recirculating hydroponics where the water is shared between each plants root zone. Sometimes it will take several rounds before it takes over the garden which is what happened to me ten years ago. Just a few branches each time then for a few rounds the suddenly everything was fucked.

Here's an example of dead giveaways that will surely dud. To me they already have. I've thrown away about 70 of these this past week. You wouldn't think the first picture would be 3-4 different varieties but the viroid will make them look very similar structurally if it takes over fully while they're young.

Last edited:

Principante8

This example is less obvious. The one on the left is infected but hasn't totally turned yet. When I pulled a fan leaf for lab testing one of the top branches broke. Both are Ice Cream Cake same age. What drew my attention to it was the slightly smaller fan leaves and woodier branches than the larger plants. Also it's hard for most to tell I'm sure but the branching is also off. There's about 30 good ones and they all have the same branching, big or small. There's only a handful like the left one and they all have woody yet weak branches, shorter in length than the good ones.

​​​​​​My results will be back in a few days and I'll share with the community. This shit crushed my dreams and shut my warehouse down ten years ago. I bought a ton of clones for a 48kw spot and did two runs. We had enough room for 50-60 more lights and that was supposed to be the beginning of me kicking ass. I couldn't afford a third run because I was growing shwag. After ten years of growing perfect cannabis, all of a sudden I couldn't grow? Same environment, same medium, same nutrients, many of the same cultivars. The only difference the results. Then it was back to the garage in my 2 bedroom apartment just like when I was a newb. Two car garage at least :-/ Trust me when I say this shit is real.

One of the photos is of the branch I broke while pulling a fan leaf. Can you imagine? Gently tugging a large leaf and whole branch snaps and sounded like wood breaking? Morning a healthy plant. It's one of the first things to look for if you think your plants are healthy. I made these pics bigger so people can more easily scrutinize them. The broken branch is not where my finger is, it's just pulling the leaves out of the way. You really have to have a good eye to see but once you've seen it it's very obvious.
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220217_123601756_HDR.jpg Views:	0 Size:	91.3 KB ID:	18076273
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220217_123707781_HDR.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.2 KB ID:	18076274

Storm Shadow

Veteran
At one point is was me vs this entire website … nobody wanted to believe it… decade later … told you so isn’t even close to enough

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Get advice from real experts … most these dudes are clowns

Attachments

• photo2112297.jpg
    photo2112297.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 74
  • photo2112298.jpg
    photo2112298.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 75

Principante8

Get advice from real experts … most these dudes are clowns

Just a different experience is all. I sent in lots of samples after your posts back then and they all tested negative for nematodes. I used the Kontos etc and it didn't help except for when I had broad mites. I bought kilos of the chitosan from China and it helped make my plants stronger but they still died. There was some kind of weaponized industrial grade fusarium that got into my garden and I couldn't get it out. I moved twice and started anew with new gear and from seeds but it still got me. One thing I overlooked was my washing machine. Maybe it was the culprit or maybe not, but it's the only thing I can think of that I didn't replace.

RIght around when I got the warehouse in LA I bought a bunch of clones and that's when I saw the hop latent viroid for the first time. I had both the fusarium and hplvd, probably nematodes and God only knows what else. That only lasted six months. After that shit show I had to buy more clones because I needed to get something going to pay bills. I drove across the state and bought clones infested with fusarium and that followed me from spot to spot. They dudded similarly to yours. Vegged real nice but slower than normal but by week 6 they lose all terps, lose density, and turn to hay.

I wish it was the nematodes, I would have been making money again like you. No doubt if you got them so did tons of other people. We were both posting on those threads but my name was StudenTeacher back then. I did everything you suggested many times and unfortunately it was just a different disease. I would guess that once the plant is affected enough from whatever disease it'll dud fully in various yet similar ways which is why it's so confusing for us growers. This new batch of clones came with root aphids so I dipped them in Kontos as well as acephate before I put them in the 4x4 rockwool cubes.

Finally I got a handle on the fusarium about five years ago but I broke my back and couldn't do shit for a while so I lost everything. Now I'm back at it for second round and this bullshit. If anyone knows where to get clean clones please pm me. I picked about 70 out of the 220 I bought this time so I'm good but I need to buy some in 60 days. Places like Dark heart what you to have a permit. I don't have one.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
HpLvd, Phytoplasmas, Stem Nematodes … had them all in the same same era .. that hemp book goes into detail about all of it…. Even says that Stem Nematodes can pass the HpLVd … A few years ago saw beets curly top virus too.. that was the last time I bought cuts… I’ll never buy any ever again… seeds hunts suck ass… but nothing worse then fighting these invisible enemies and losing your library of genetics like most of us have… stick with seeds bro… even negative test for the Viroid mean nothing

Principante8

Trust me I'm super excited about planting a ton of seeds. I have 30-40 packs put away. My original plan was actually just to get a job and rent a small apartment and maybe grow 2-3 lights in the bedroom to help with rent. I know a small delivery that would be stoked on a couple Ozs here and there of lots of tester varieties. The varying quality would be beneficial to him to meet different price points. No more weed business just a part time tiny little side thing..It would have given me an opportunity to have fun and explore and still make bills. Then when Biden was trying to do the mystery jab mandate I scrambled as fast as possible and bullshitted my way into a nice big house and set up 12kw de lamps but I spent everything I've been saving for the past two years..No time or money I have to use clones the next couple rounds. Yes I know it maybe isn't the most responsible way to go about it but I wasn't going to get poked or wear a diaper on my face. Had to get working..When I plant seeds it'll be about 50 feet away from the clones in a different room. Both sealed.

I agree a negative test meant nothing. I wouldn't have wasted my money but the guy that runs the Clone Conservatory called me a liar and so challenge accepted.. Tossed 70 out of 220 so far. The rest look good but I'll still throw a few of the smaller ones out just in case. Maybe 10-15 more. Anything that drinks less water goes in trash can, especially if it's bigger. My hope is to get some kind of refund after proving him wrong. I showed him pictures but he said the little plant looks ok. I told him no wonder he's passing it out if he doesn't know how to spot it. He didn't exactly call me a liar but said he didn't believe me. Sent in samples from 25 plants including a handful of nice healthy ones.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
I respect your views on the Death jab bro… good luck with finding clean cuts ….hope you get a big yield of dank and break some bread … keep us posted on your progress

Latest posts

Latest posts