What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hop Stunt Viroid in Cannabis

I don’t want to blow up this post. But if anyone who commented on this and knows more about this virus could check out my new post on the infirmary page at the top. I can’t figure out if this could be my issue.

bassmaster420

Well after 10 years reading the threads I'll finally contribute something useful I hope. CSP labs near Sacramento will test for the viroid from leaf tissue samples. 100 bucks for the first sample 25 bucks a sample after that. You can mail it in. Csplabs.com Just make sure you refer to your samples as hemp since technically they can't test cannabis yet. My results are coming tomorrow!

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Which varieties did you test and where did they come from originally?

Pictures of the affected plants?

Did they come back as specifically Hop Latent Viroid, or a non-specific Latent Viroid?

bassmaster420

I tested Wedding cake, nice dream cake, sour diesel, punch breath, gmo and biscotti. Also sent in a random sampling of some stuff for my friend gaby. Dont have pics of all the plants but ill post what I do have. Attachments are 1. Gmo this has the most tell tale symptoms 2. Wedding cake This plant appears healthy but had recently had clones taken off of it. It was infected. 3.Biscotti somewhere in the middle. They tested specifically for hop latent viroid.

Attachments

• 1579286322596.jpg
    1579286322596.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 156
  • 20200118_152655.jpg
    20200118_152655.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 1577338835523.jpg
    1577338835523.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 154

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
So wuts the cure? I dont think I got it yet but wanna be able to beat it when I do. Chitosan or asparin help with this one like it does with broad damage?

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Im wondering, would dipping your razor in alcohol n wiping before taking cuts or deleafing different plants stop the spread? Think I may be dealing with this, got a plant 6 weeks in flower and it looks like week 3...

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
These are damn near week 6 and look like they are barely three weeks in, i been scopin for broad mites but nothin, dont know whats goin on but im thinkin maybe this virus? Bout to scrap the whole run...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Anyone got some ideas? Does aloe or chitosan help? From that video it seems I need to start using a seperate razor for each plant when im taking cuts n wutnot... this sucks, i cant afford a fucked up grow right now...

Crazy Chester

Im wondering, would dipping your razor in alcohol n wiping before taking cuts or deleafing different plants stop the spread? Think I may be dealing with this, got a plant 6 weeks in flower and it looks like week 3...
It appears alcohol doesn't kill the viroid. You need to clean with 10% bleach solution. I wonder if this viroid is what has been the main factor in killing my Capstone grows. It looks like prolonged exposure to <42 F temps kills the viroid.

Crazy Chester

It appears alcohol doesn't kill the viroid. You need to clean with 10% bleach solution. I wonder if this viroid is what has been the main factor in killing my Capstone grows. It looks like prolonged exposure to <42 F temps kills the viroid.

With progress of my latest clone from my Capstone mother, I know I don't have the viroid, so my earlier speculation has been disproven.

GET MO, have you tried cold treatment on your clone? Wouldn't it be great if just keeping a clone in a 41 degree refrigerator for a couple days actually cured the viroid?

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
With progress of my latest clone from my Capstone mother, I know I don't have the viroid, so my earlier speculation has been disproven.

GET MO, have you tried cold treatment on your clone? Wouldn't it be great if just keeping a clone in a 41 degree refrigerator for a couple days actually cured the viroid?

I dont know I been pretty confused, I dont think its the virus though because it only popped up in one room and seems like everything in the one room got it. I harvested vibranium cuts taken from same mothers in a 3x3 315w cmh today and it was some of the best lookin and yielding ive seen from her, same damn tray of cuts. Something must have happened to my roots this run the only thing i can think, they mista dried out and not bounced back or somethin.

picture.php

Crazy Chester

Something must have happened to my roots this run the only thing i can think, they mista dried out and not bounced back or somethin.
Agreed. I had the same misfortune with Capstone, which I prefer to this viroid thingy.

As for prevention, in addition to bleach there are other fluids that appear to kill the viroid, according to the paper beta posted here:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8555467&postcount=11

"In areas containing infected plants and where mechanical operations are essential, disinfecting equipment for 10 minutes in either formaldehyde, sodium hydroxide, sodium or calcium hypochlo-rite, or trisodium phosphate has also been demonstrated to be effective at reducing HpSVd spread (162,176,177)."

The same paper said blades heated to 160 degrees for 10 minutes killed the viroid:

"Heating blades at 160°C for 10 min was also effec-tive, but 140°C was not."

Together, the two methods seemed to have worked to prevent transmission:

"These measures have seen the virtual elimination of HpSVd from the Kirin Brewery yards in Japan (162)."

Cold therapy is talked about here, with up to 80% virus free plants kept in 41F temperature for six months:

https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0434.1987.tb00465.x

If one could keep a plant alive for a year at 41F, that would probably work to eliminate the viroid.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran

Agreed. I had the same misfortune with Capstone, which I prefer to this viroid thingy.

As for prevention, in addition to bleach there are other fluids that appear to kill the viroid, according to the paper beta posted here:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8555467&postcount=11

"In areas containing infected plants and where mechanical operations are essential, disinfecting equipment for 10 minutes in either formaldehyde, sodium hydroxide, sodium or calcium hypochlo-rite, or trisodium phosphate has also been demonstrated to be effective at reducing HpSVd spread (162,176,177)."

The same paper said blades heated to 160 degrees for 10 minutes killed the viroid:

"Heating blades at 160°C for 10 min was also effec-tive, but 140°C was not."

Together, the two methods seemed to have worked to prevent transmission:

"These measures have seen the virtual elimination of HpSVd from the Kirin Brewery yards in Japan (162)."

Cold therapy is talked about here, with up to 80% virus free plants kept in 41F temperature for six months:

https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0434.1987.tb00465.x

If one could keep a plant alive for a year at 41F, that would probably work to eliminate the viroid.

Time to make that refrigerator tek! Lol!

kalopatchkid

Veteran
This is becoming a real big problem among clone vendors. Testing for this virus only costs around $20 from what I have heard and should become a standard operating procedure for anyone selling clones or growing in large facilities.

eddiedangerous

I am surprised this thread is only 3 pages long. Either people haven't noticed it, or they're afraid to talk in public about it. This is tearing things apart right now.