What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

JB's sativa hacking hub

JockBudman

So, as promised here's my diary in my spiritual home of Scotland (or the Scotland board at least) and we'll be starting off with a big project breeding some sativa strains and making some home hacks.

First in the tent are two Oldtimers Haze that have been in the veg tent longer than I'd have liked but the flowering one was occupied and needed a clean after drying the last crop. That's now been done and they're in on a 11/13 schedule to help them flower without taking the roof off the tent. They'll be topped probably next weekend and will go down to 10/14 if needed towards the end of the year.
This is really a long term project and I don't intend to harvest these until the end of the October. The hope is I'll get a male and a female to make f2s and hack some other stuff but these are really just testers for a full 9 plant open pollination grow next year maybe and other things will be added in across the next 6 months.

Alongside the hazes is one male skunk#1 from seedsman which I'm going to collect the pollen from then dust the haze if I get a female plus a few other things. There were supposed to be three of these for some skunk f2s but only one made it and luckily he's a boy.

Later I'll be adding five zamaldelica for an f2 run plus a clone mother (I call her mango or mango catpiss) from a pack of Mandala safari mix - she's stood me in good stead for two or three years but the last few runs have got more potent and paranoia inducing so it's time to cross and dump. She has a lot of good traits and can handle abuse well so I want to keep that and try to breed the para out the high. Already crossed her with world of seeds ak so I'm hoping to complete that with crosses to both skunk and haze - the classics. Really it's just a way to practice selection etc for working with better genetics down the line.

I also just ordered some quick critical from dinafem and some grapefruit from female seeds. Once the boys are trashed I plan to put in one of each, hit them with the skunk pollen and then backcross at a later date using a male from each hack back to original females from the seed packs. I basically want to make a speedy skunk I can chuck in as a space filler with the quick critical and I just really love the high on the grapefruit.

So, full breakdown of what I hope to achieve:

OT haze f2
Zamaldelica f2
OTH X Zam / Zam X OTH
Haze X skunk
Zam X skunk
Mango X skunk
Mango X haze
Quick critical X skunk
Grapefruit X skunk

Plus anything else I can think of. The main goals are the zamaldelica and the mango. If I don't get a haze or zam male then it'll be way less obviously but I'm hoping to find at least one in the zamaldelica.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Haze is in a light soil and still burned. If I get a girl she'll be potted up to five litres in compost, same with zams.

JockBudman

Time for a wee update - more than time in fact. And it's late an a' coz ah took these Friday night and just didnae bother updating. Lazy **** ah am.

Anyway

picture.php

Ot haze, now topped and pinched since this was taken. Love these plants, they've only had water and seem pretty heat tolerant which is a good thing at the moment. I'm hoping the right one is a boy but I'll take two girls if I get them for sure.

picture.php

Skunk male

picture.php

And a wee close up of the top.

He's since had his head chopped and put in a mug of water to collect the pollen. Got a wee pile in the fridge already and I'm gonnae take the rest of the branches later tonight and scrape up a wee bit more.

So far phase one of the breeding has gone well. Next to go in will be my 5 zamaldelica maybe next weekend and then mango catpiss the week after.

My main problem at the moment is the loft being too hot. I've only got the wee led UFO on the now but I'll need the hps when I put the rest in and when I tested it for a night the temps topped out near 40c. Need to find a solution pronto but fuck knows how. My inlet comes through the veg tent to make dual use of my extraction but I'm gonnae need tae sack that off and draw in air from outside. Just need tae hope the veg tent can take it and if not I'll need another bloody extraction system.

Other option is tae drop a ton on a new led board but I've got three fuckin lights now and nae way tae get rid of any ah don't use.

Too hot in summer, too cold in winter. Ah cannae wait tae get a detached place in the country so ah can just build a room.

JockBudman

Another wee photo of the haze plants.

picture.php

Can see a few of my chilli plants poking up in the bottom edge. They're shite. I'm growing better ones but fuck buying chillis from a garden centre, British people are too fuckin wussy to buy hot chillis apparently.
Similar story with the ganj and in particular the old school sativa highs - I'm not suited to this bland, stoney, skunk heavy nation and her crap tastes. Ah well.

Anyway, not much going on really, the haze are still stretching and the zamaldelica aren't quite big enough to flower yet. It's a hard one to call with a pure sativa but I'm thinking maybe some this weekend - the tallest that are most likely to be males - then the rest next weekend. It depends how well they grow in the next few days really.

I'll also be starting a wee grapefruit soon and putting my big mum in once she's filled out her pot a bit more. Need roots at the drainage holes before I'll think about the flip.

Hopefully the next update will be more interesting.

JockBudman

I chucked three of the zamaldelica into flower tonight, as they were all between 10 & 12 inches. When I did the Panama, that let them finish around 3 feet which I can accommodate so I'm hoping these stay about the same in terms of stretch.

The other two are still vegging as they need a few more days to gain a few inches in height. They're both more squat and with tighter nodes. Going off structure based sexing, it looks like two males, two females and one that could go either way. A good result if I'm right and I'll be able to do my f2 run.

JockBudman

Quick one of the haze all bent over from last night's training session

picture.php

Shortly after this the other two zams went in as well. Still no sex on anything but I think the haze is close to it at 5weeks in as I can see the nodes tightening. Fingers crossed I'll know soon.

Also popped a grapefruit seed. Pics will come when there's something worth showing :tiphat:

JockBudman

subbed!
Greetings from the Lakes
CC

Ahoy, welcome to the thread.

Just in time as well - ah just sexed the haze an it's two girls:dance013:

Just a few pistils so far so there's a long way to go still. They'll get potted up in a few weeks as I read somewhere thats the best way to keep the stretch down an get a decent yield. Ah wis hopin for seeds but this is a pretty good result :laughing:

picture.php

This is the smaller one, kind of a tropical Thai type look to the leaves. Heavy claw coz of the soil so am gonnae do a lighter mix maybe at the pot up.

picture.php

Larger one. Bit less extreme and not so sensitive so far. Ah though this wis a boy. Ah well.

Gonnae hit these wae skunk pollen once there's flowers and maybe zamaldelica - ah've got at least one male from them.

Means less space for fems later that ah wis relyin on for the winter shut down so these better be shit hot. Look pretty amazing so far to me though.

Ganja gu brah :joint:

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great stuff!
But Uh-oh, these look like it's going to be hard to contain them during stretch without drastic measures.
Good luck!
CC

Last edited:

JockBudman

Thanks Chevy, I'm hoping the root binding is going to keep them small and then, when I pot them up, they'll use the new soil to pack on yield. Ah hope anyway :laughing:

Update -

Checked the zamaldelica for sexing the night and it looks like 3 boys, 1 girl and 1 still not showing. Wrong side of the ratio really, I was hoping for the 3 girls. I can cope with 2 but just 1 an ah'll be ragin.:moon: :laughing: wait and see the next few days ah guess.

Also means there might be another fem bean getting planted soon. Got grapefruit just out the soil and quick critical to come. Got space for maybe a sex bud plus something else - I'm thinking orange juice, skunk or maybe one of the cookies seeds ah have. Still up in the air at the moment, need to decide what ah want over Christmas :tree:

If ah get just the one zamaldelica girl, ah might just bin the boys. Ah wis hopin for a good f2 mix off a few mums for future breedin. Guess ace get another chunk of cash off me if that's the score - and if these are worth keeping around.

JockBudman

Confirmed the second zamaldelica female the night and watered them wae a weak nute solution about half strength. Gonnae go easy on them for now. Also moved the mango catpiss mum into the flower tent and dropped a quick critical and a sex bud into the soil. Maybe gonnae do a wee og from dinafem an all - traitor to the sativas that I am.

Anyway, here's the flower tent the night

picture.php

The mango catpiss is the massive beast on the front right. Mother plant selected from mandala safari mix and abused, topped, root bound, revegged and utterly fucked with for three years. It's some lovely stuff and very hardy - I'd recommend mandala plants to any heavy handed grower.

She'll get pumped wae the skunk pollen and worked with down the line. It's her last time in the tent but I just put in another seed order so she needs tae get tae fuck :laughing:

JockBudman

Just had tae give the haze a wee feedin. The new leaves are still clawed but the older stuff is yellowin up so a gave her a quarter strength flower feed.

Plannin tae pot them up soon as the root ball's dry enough now

Bit eh a cal mag deficiency on the zams an all. Need tae get that next waterin - didnae notice til after wi the led on it the now.

Last edited:

JockBudman

New seed stash has arrived -

picture.php

For 45 notes Real Gorilla Seeds are givin a ten pack of ace regs as freebies an you get a choice an all. Ah went wae Honduras and a wee pack of zkittzo frae the RGS tae make it up tae 45. Could've done Panama wae free Honduras, but ah wanted tae try some of this new skittles stuff for a laugh, plus ah think it'll cross well wae ma grapefruit when it's skunked.

Ah'd say if you want ace regs gear at a good price, hit up RGS - there's other freebies worth havin but the Honduras had been catchin ma eye for a while an the Panama is already a favourite in ma gaff. Well worth a punt.

Now tae clear the schedule again for a few full pack f2 runs :laughing:

JockBudman

Got a few shots of the hazes outside the tent last night. Ah wis tryin tae see if there were any deficiencies - they look a bit yellow under the lights.

picture.php

picture.php

^ wee bit of yellowin on lower leaves

picture.php

picture.php

^ same wae this one

Seem to be fine tbh. Wee bit of yellowin on lower leaves but the tops are still clawed so ah guess it's still just nitro tox. Cannae dae nothin about it at the mo, just need tae keep givin water an the odd bit of flower feed. Pot up will be this weekend or next - stretch has slowed down a fair bit now.

I'll do zamaldelica shots at the weekend maybe. The boys are at different stages wae one about ready tae pop, one wae just a few pods and one in between. The big one is goin in the veg tent for a bit in the next few days then ah'll collect the pollen - it'll need savin for when the others are ready so as tae "open pollinate" and preserve the line.

Similar range on the girls - one tall and quick flowerin, one short and slow. The big one is ma favourite so far.

JockBudman

Right, here's a the zamaldelicas. First up girls -

picture.php

picture.php

Quite a height difference between the two. No sure about phenos, ah'll have a look later but ah think the bigger is Malawi dom.

Now the boys -

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Ah've done it in order of flowerin speed from slowest tae quickest. The first one is still in the flower tent goin slow and the other two are in the veg tent as they're near droppin pollen. Gonnae wait til ah see a few pods open then cut the tops an stick them in water over a plate tae collect.

Smells are a mix of spicy, wee bit skunky wae some fruits.

ETA - also planted a new sex bud as the first one got itsel twisted an died and a wee zkittzo. They'll be goin in same time as the quick critical and grapefruit