Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growroom Designs & Equipment > LED Grow Lights > Are your expensive LED lights holding up long term ??

Thread Title Search
Thread Closed
Are your expensive LED lights holding up long term ?? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-05-2020, 07:45 AM #1
stewart169
Banned

stewart169 has a reputation beyond reputestewart169 has a reputation beyond reputestewart169 has a reputation beyond reputestewart169 has a reputation beyond reputestewart169 has a reputation beyond reputestewart169 has a reputation beyond reputestewart169 has a reputation beyond reputestewart169 has a reputation beyond reputestewart169 has a reputation beyond reputestewart169 has a reputation beyond reputestewart169 has a reputation beyond repute
Are your expensive LED lights holding up long term ??

Im curious how growers who have spent money on what they expected to be lights that last for quite a few years are experiencing.

I ask because I just today had a relatively cheap Meanwell GSC40B 1400 fail on a HLG 65 clone and seedling light fail. Luckily I had a spare one since I have 3 of these for small cabs and one I had replaced the driver with a meanwell driver I could dim. I ordered a spare just in case today since the 4K board is fine a samsung QB96 a couple years old and like I said I have 3 of them. Back up and running. My primary light in my small grow is a Timber kit I built the frame for and has 4 cree cxb3590 cob lights. Its served me will and I have added a 660 cree kit and a 730 kit from Rapid they no longer offer as kits. Each kit also has a small Meanwell driver along with the main driver for the cxb3590 cob's.

I guess my question is or does anyone keep a spare driver around for their lights in case of failure? I have seen meanwell drivers in industry and they hold up but eventually all fail and my guess is the LEDs I have will outlive the drivers but Id like to hear the experiences of those who have bought quality LED lights, parts and kits.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:05 AM #2
Mars Hydro Led
Garden Partner

Mars Hydro Led is a survivorMars Hydro Led is a survivorMars Hydro Led is a survivorMars Hydro Led is a survivorMars Hydro Led is a survivorMars Hydro Led is a survivorMars Hydro Led is a survivorMars Hydro Led is a survivorMars Hydro Led is a survivorMars Hydro Led is a survivorMars Hydro Led is a survivor
The defective rate of meanwell driver is 1/10000. It is very durable. We have sold thousands of meanwell driver lights. So far, there is no case. So i suppose there is no need to prepare spare meanwell driver.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:56 AM #3
SuperBadGrower

SuperBadGrower has much to be proud ofSuperBadGrower has much to be proud ofSuperBadGrower has much to be proud ofSuperBadGrower has much to be proud ofSuperBadGrower has much to be proud ofSuperBadGrower has much to be proud ofSuperBadGrower has much to be proud ofSuperBadGrower has much to be proud ofSuperBadGrower has much to be proud ofSuperBadGrower has much to be proud ofSuperBadGrower has much to be proud of
The HLG series of drivers, used by most, is a higher quality than the GSC you mentioned. I do own backup strips and cobs, but no backup drivers. Those high watt models are too expensive to just have on supply.

the HLGs used to have a 5 year warrantly, a few years ago they changed it to 7 or 8... shows their confidence in the product.

Old 08-05-2020, 01:06 PM #5
Switcher56
Comfortably numb!

Switcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewart169 View Post
Im curious how growers who have spent money on what they expected to be lights that last for quite a few years are experiencing.

I ask because I just today had a relatively cheap Meanwell GSC40B 1400 fail on a HLG 65 clone and seedling light fail. Luckily I had a spare one since I have 3 of these for small cabs and one I had replaced the driver with a meanwell driver I could dim. I ordered a spare just in case today since the 4K board is fine a samsung QB96 a couple years old and like I said I have 3 of them. Back up and running. My primary light in my small grow is a Timber kit I built the frame for and has 4 cree cxb3590 cob lights. Its served me will and I have added a 660 cree kit and a 730 kit from Rapid they no longer offer as kits. Each kit also has a small Meanwell driver along with the main driver for the cxb3590 cob's.

I guess my question is or does anyone keep a spare driver around for their lights in case of failure? I have seen meanwell drivers in industry and they hold up but eventually all fail and my guess is the LEDs I have will outlive the drivers but Id like to hear the experiences of those who have bought quality LED lights, parts and kits.
Not, topic related but in general, many carry spares, not limited to drivers but, fans, lights and filters.

A good approach to just about anything in life is to hope for the best,
but be prepared for the worst.

I don't want you to trust me. I want you to doubt me.
I want you to question me. I want you to look at the facts! ~ Snowden

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding.
The highest form of knowledge is Empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world" ~ Bill Bullard

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience,
but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest
the crotch of the person who screws up your day and,
may their arms be too short to scratch...

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:17 PM #6
stewart169
Banned

stewart169 has a reputation beyond reputestewart169 has a reputation beyond reputestewart169 has a reputation beyond reputestewart169 has a reputation beyond reputestewart169 has a reputation beyond reputestewart169 has a reputation beyond reputestewart169 has a reputation beyond reputestewart169 has a reputation beyond reputestewart169 has a reputation beyond reputestewart169 has a reputation beyond reputestewart169 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switcher56 View Post
Not, topic related but in general, many carry spares, not limited to drivers but, fans, lights and filters.
I have a spare filter and fan because my last grow was so stinky I had to upgrade it. Kept the old stuff, phresh filter, S&P fan, for back up and I got it out and plugged it in the room while I was harvesting last time. In the burbs cant be to careful.

Old 08-05-2020, 07:34 PM #7
q3corn

q3corn is just really niceq3corn is just really niceq3corn is just really niceq3corn is just really niceq3corn is just really niceq3corn is just really niceq3corn is just really niceq3corn is just really niceq3corn is just really niceq3corn is just really niceq3corn is just really nice
I think the diodes are going to wear down faster than the drivers. I think Migro posted something about older lights and they lose about 10% of their efficiency in a year? I never noticed and I made it almost 3 years with my Timber lights with citizen leds.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-11-2020, 02:51 AM #8
SupraSPL

SupraSPL has a spectacular aura aboutSupraSPL has a spectacular aura aboutSupraSPL has a spectacular aura aboutSupraSPL has a spectacular aura aboutSupraSPL has a spectacular aura about
HLGs and CXB3590s that have been running nonstop since 2015 and zero failures and no losss in performance.

The cheap $1 100K potentiometers do fail though and need to be replaced from time to time. I should have bought Bourns.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200831_171934a.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	547033

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-11-2020, 05:43 AM #9
Chi13

Chi13 has much to be proud ofChi13 has much to be proud ofChi13 has much to be proud ofChi13 has much to be proud ofChi13 has much to be proud ofChi13 has much to be proud ofChi13 has much to be proud ofChi13 has much to be proud ofChi13 has much to be proud ofChi13 has much to be proud ofChi13 has much to be proud of
I've owned a couple of LEDs and wished I'd bought something different both times.

A Mars 700 2, that still works after about 4 years, no problem just not a great light. As an intro to LEDs it was alright. Performed as well as a 400w HPS but if I had my time over I wouldn't have bought it.

I also bought an Optic 4 which has a combo of cobs and single LEDs. Anyway a great light, accept I was halfway through a grow and all but the cobs stopped working. It was covered by warranty but I live in Australia and they had to send the part from the US. To their credit I got the replacement part which I had to install myself. All good now for about 2 years and I get good results. I always have this dread that the thing will fail a second time.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:12 AM #10
stewart169
Banned

I need to get some readings from my Apogee meter for future reference for my CXB and the HLG boards. Im curious now if there is degradation of quality LEDs over time by documentation be it LEDs or drivers.

Thread Closed