Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Propagation > Cloning/Pruning Question

Thread Title Search
Cloning/Pruning Question Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-27-2019, 08:29 PM #1
ThePhiloStoned

ThePhiloStoned is a jewel in the roughThePhiloStoned is a jewel in the roughThePhiloStoned is a jewel in the roughThePhiloStoned is a jewel in the roughThePhiloStoned is a jewel in the roughThePhiloStoned is a jewel in the roughThePhiloStoned is a jewel in the roughThePhiloStoned is a jewel in the rough
Cloning/Pruning Question

I've got three mother plants that are outgrowing their space & need to be pruned back and/or cloned. My question (or curiosity) was, what would happen if I left all of the large Dane leaves intact, of which there are many, and pruned back all the rest cloning what I cut off? Would the plant survive, would new growing shoots replace the ones that were cut back from different areas over time? Would it just remain a stalk with lots of pretty fan leaves?

Thank you for your time.
ThePhiloStoned is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:34 PM #2
MedFaced

MedFaced has a brilliant futureMedFaced has a brilliant futureMedFaced has a brilliant futureMedFaced has a brilliant futureMedFaced has a brilliant futureMedFaced has a brilliant futureMedFaced has a brilliant futureMedFaced has a brilliant futureMedFaced has a brilliant futureMedFaced has a brilliant futureMedFaced has a brilliant future
If the plants healthy, you can trim it down dramatically and it will come back no problem. I don’t cut clones anymore but when I did I took them from every part of the plant. Old growth, new growth, I noticed no difference. Just as long as the cut stem is strong enough to support itself.
MedFaced is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:54 PM #3
mean mr.mustard
I Pass Satellites

Location: Overturning Pebbles and Upending All the Animals Alight
mean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivor
Always leave a node
mean mr.mustard is online now Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:25 AM #4
ThePhiloStoned

ThePhiloStoned is a jewel in the roughThePhiloStoned is a jewel in the roughThePhiloStoned is a jewel in the roughThePhiloStoned is a jewel in the roughThePhiloStoned is a jewel in the roughThePhiloStoned is a jewel in the roughThePhiloStoned is a jewel in the roughThePhiloStoned is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mean mr.mustard View Post
Always leave a node
By that, I assume you mean always leave one node out from the main stem, right? (Just clarifying...)

"If we gave up on bagseed, the cannabis genetic pool would be forever doomed...I mean the greatest treasures are hidden in those bags, besides don't you think you can grow that strain better than the next guy?" - old anonymous hippie

I grow everything, everywhere...I'm a botanarchist.

When I grow up I wanna be Johnny Appleweed, breed the perfect strain, and sow my seed wherever there's a train.

A Proud Member of the B.S.G.A. (Bag Seed Growers Association)

ThePhiloStoned is offline Quote

Old 10-28-2019, 08:05 PM #5
mean mr.mustard
I Pass Satellites

Location: Overturning Pebbles and Upending All the Animals Alight
mean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivor
Yes.
mean mr.mustard is online now Quote

Old 10-28-2019, 09:12 PM #6
Mr. J

Mr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant future
You have to leave a node with a growing tip, or the potential to grow a tip. If you were to remove the branches that grow from the main stem, right down to the main stem, but leave the fan leaf that they're growing from the base of, then it's just a stick with leaves. Sometimes a new shoot will sprout out of an old node at the bottom of a woody stem but I wouldn't count on it. Other plants such as peppers can be pruned back to nothing but a node, even if that node has been scraped clean of any growing tips, and still sprout new tips. Not cannabis though.
Mr. J is offline Quote

Old 01-15-2020, 09:18 AM #7
wvkindbud38
Elite Growers Club

wvkindbud38 has a reputation beyond reputewvkindbud38 has a reputation beyond reputewvkindbud38 has a reputation beyond reputewvkindbud38 has a reputation beyond reputewvkindbud38 has a reputation beyond reputewvkindbud38 has a reputation beyond reputewvkindbud38 has a reputation beyond reputewvkindbud38 has a reputation beyond reputewvkindbud38 has a reputation beyond reputewvkindbud38 has a reputation beyond reputewvkindbud38 has a reputation beyond repute
I've got the same problem. I've got 2 mother plants I've pruned alot. But I'll probably have to cut some tops back . My other mothers are kinda squat plants. I'm gonna clone mine again I about a week probably. I've removed a few branches but you can't tell a difference
wvkindbud38 is offline Quote

Old 10-15-2020, 07:37 PM #8
NENugger

NENugger has much to be proud ofNENugger has much to be proud ofNENugger has much to be proud ofNENugger has much to be proud ofNENugger has much to be proud ofNENugger has much to be proud ofNENugger has much to be proud ofNENugger has much to be proud ofNENugger has much to be proud ofNENugger has much to be proud ofNENugger has much to be proud of
On topic of cloning and pruning but about pruning the cutting itself. Question, I see this in videos at commercial greenhouses. why do they clip the tips off of some of the fan leaves I see in the domes?

Old 10-16-2020, 02:47 AM #9
Fixer

Fixer has much to be proud ofFixer has much to be proud ofFixer has much to be proud ofFixer has much to be proud ofFixer has much to be proud ofFixer has much to be proud ofFixer has much to be proud ofFixer has much to be proud ofFixer has much to be proud ofFixer has much to be proud ofFixer has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by NENugger View Post
On topic of cloning and pruning but about pruning the cutting itself. Question, I see this in videos at commercial greenhouses. why do they clip the tips off of some of the fan leaves I see in the domes?

To reduce transpiration.