What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Please help,

I'm just wondering why my cannabis always smells and looks super dank and hard on the plant but as soon as I chop it down and have to dry two days later it's smelling like grass and always gets fluffy instead of staying dense. I hang dry for like 5 days then put in jars and burp them depending on the humidity. The smell gets a little better but usually still has that grass smell butt the thing that bothers me most is how fluffy the buds get any advice is welcome. Thanks

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Temperature and humidity of your drying area are critical.

65F and 55% RH is what I shoot for. Nothing but dank...

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
420giveaway
Half of it is genetics. Some strains you can quick dry in 3 days and they are good to go.

Great thread, the info on properly drying isn't discussed for pages and pages though. Curing is what happens *after* a proper dry. :D

Extremely important, ty for posting it Vanilla :)

Yeah the problem I'm having is drying I think as I don't have a proper drying room, think my stuff gets dry to fast.

Half of it is genetics. Some strains you can quick dry in 3 days and they are good to go.

Don't know if my Genetics are any good I'm growing seeds I bought from Rare Dankness Rugburn OG and Alien Rift from Ocean Grown and some clones a friend who works at a grow warehouse op and claims they're GG and GSC but Idk about that. Haha

Blazeee

Veteran
I'm just wondering why my cannabis always smells and looks super dank and hard on the plant but as soon as I chop it down and have to dry two days later it's smelling like grass and always gets fluffy instead of staying dense. I hang dry for like 5 days then put in jars and burp them depending on the humidity. The smell gets a little better but usually still has that grass smell butt the thing that bothers me most is how fluffy the buds get any advice is welcome. Thanks

Reason is your not drying it long enough before you jar it, you should let it hang for at least 7-10 days at the earliest before you put it in the jars.

Obviously there is other factors such as temp and humidity, but i cant imagine that your buds are dry enough after only 5 days.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
420giveaway
you should let it hang for at least 7-10 days at the earliest before you put it in the jars.

That's really not carved in stone. When it's too warm and dry and the bud is already dry enough after 5 days and you let it hang longer you make further curing impossible. Additionally it also depends on harvest timing, nutrition, watering during the grow etc. There's so many ways you can fuck it up. The grower needs to develop a feel for every plant and this can only come with experience.

Blazeee

Veteran
That's really not carved in stone. When it's too warm and dry and the bud is already dry enough after 5 days and you let it hang longer you make further curing impossible. Additionally it also depends on harvest timing, nutrition, watering during the grow etc. There's so many ways you can fuck it up. The grower needs to develop a feel for every plant and this can only come with experience.

Obviously there are other factors to consider and everyones environment is different. However OP was asking why his buds have that fresh grass smell to them and in my experience this happens when you dont let the buds dry long enough before you bag/jar them. Personally i would rather smoke buds that are too dry than too moist.

Also i suggest dry trimming over wet trimming. Next time you harvest take off the big fans but leave the small sugar leaves on and dry trim them. Ive noticed in the past when you wet trim sometimes you get that fresh grass type smell.

Thanks for the input, I harvested Saturday the buds already feel all dry and crispy my bro wants to let it dry longer but Idk might jar some up and leave some for longer and see which comes out better

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
Do you use any hygrometers in the jars after you jar up? Like the caliber III's? Did you take a look at the thread I recommended earlier in this thread?

Sometimes my bud dries in 5 days and as long as I catch it before it gets too dry, and follow the directions in that thread, everything turns out fine.

Yeah I read the first page, I have crappy hydrometers ordered caliber 4 as I couldn't find any threes but doubt I'll get them in time

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
This issue starts with humidity during the grow and nutrients.

High humidity in flower will leave herb with a grassy hay like smell and a weird taste.

Also not flushing properly will affect your outcome. If using chemical nutrients you want to flush really well.

Best bet is to run organic soil or hydro. The bud should be loud from the moment you chop to cure.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
However OP was asking why his buds have that fresh grass smell to them and in my experience this happens when you dont let the buds dry long enough before you bag/jar them.
The fresh grass smell comes from too high of heat and humidity. He smells it because his heat and humidity in the drying room are too high. You smell it when you don't dry enough and throw it in a jar. The warmth and moisture gives you that grass smell.
:tiphat: